New growing, learning, open to advice

Greeksheek

420 Member
Hello all,

This is my first time growing. I wouldn’t say I’ve got green fingers but they’re better than my wife’s.

So my first grow has been quite the learning experience. I never though pot size was such a factor! I overwatered Ru in the smaller pot and dropped a light on Michelle in the bigger pot. And for some reason she is sprouting quicker and is far bigger than him.

Started seeds in some tissue then moved them into peat and fibre pots so I didn’t have to transfer. Then into their clay pots. Yeah next time fabric pots... The clay gets cold when watering.
I’ve not spent much on lights, just simple red/blue UVs and they’ve been indoors the whole time. Adhered to a proper light cycle and after 6 weeks I am a few weeks away from moving them to their outdoor tent... mistake or go for it?
Any comments or advice welcome
Pic1: 2 weeks
B0F8C1F0-1F3F-48F0-A70C-E876F1BE22CD.jpeg

0AEC5271-CC99-4646-8394-55A96A33E046.jpeg

Pic2: 6 weeks

Welcome. Please tell us about your light cycle and what strains you have.

I’m growing Jack Herer Auto
Started 16 hours on
Then 14 hours on
And am going to drop now to 12 on given the big one started flowering - also going to switch on red lights
Should I change anything?

You have an auto which means it flowers whenever it feels like it. You do not have to drop hours to make it flower and by doing so you are robbing it of time in the light and therefore its ability to produce. Do switch on the reds and get the LED close - not close enough to make your hand hot if it's at the same level of the leaves. Your plant needs 18-20 hours of light a day. You only have to switch light cycles to 12 hours on a photoperiod plant, not an auto (which means automatic flowering).

Since this one has already started flowering your yield may not be that great but if you have more seeds the folks around here can help the next one (or who knows - maybe this one be better) .

If you look in my links below in my sig click on links for newbies then how to make a grow journal. Make one soon. There are good knowledgeable people here and they love to help.

You have an auto which means it flowers whenever it feels like it. You do not have to drop hours to make it flower and by doing so you are robbing it of time in the light and therefore its ability to produce. Do switch on the reds and get the LED close - not close enough to make your hand hot if it's at the same level of the leaves. Your plant needs 18-20 hours of light a day. You only have to switch light cycles to 12 hours on a photoperiod plant, not an auto (which means automatic flowering).

Since this one has already started flowering your yield may not be that great but if you have more seeds the folks around here can help the next one (or who knows - maybe this one be better) .

If you look in my links below in my sig click on links for newbies then how to make a grow journal. Make one soon. There are good knowledgeable people here and they love to help.

Mate that is amazing info thanks! I got another seed which I thought I would start in about 2 months time - got holidays coming up and all - don’t want to be away and stuff it up :)

I think I’ve robbed the first ones of light like you stated but looking forward to diarising my next batch. Until I get a proper light set up and I’m probably gonna stick with auto tbh

That's fine. We can help you get much better at this (well, mostly other people who know what they're doing can). Can't wait to see your grow journal and all the help you'll receive to make it happen.

I'd recommend from 'seed to stoned' he's a YouTube video maker and his stuff is super informative. He mainly grows Autos so you'll learn a lot.

Well this was a get yer feet wet grow.
But you already learned a few things with plans to change it next grow.

I would plant an auto directly into a 5+ gallon fabric pot as a germinated seed.
If you're bottle feeding just use coco with about 35% pumice.

If you do soil do a super soil in a 7 gallon fabric pot.
Put the super soil in bottom 1/3rd and top 2/3rds just a good Clackamas Coots soil recipe and then all you need to do is inoculate with mycorrhazae and just water with plain water.

Back
Top Bottom