New Growth From Cotyledons?

Cruizer

Hi 420, I have this plant which appears to have new growth coming out of the Cotyledons, have you seen this before? I'm not worried about it just curious if anyone had a plant like it. :thanks:

IMG_20150303_193652.jpg
IMG_20150303_193233.jpg
IMG_20150303_193213.jpg
IMG_20150303_193204.jpg

Out of curiosity, what kind of lighting are you using?

Lights, distance, etc...

I have two plants in flower at the moment under 9 x 23w 2700k cfl's at apprx. 1 1/2" from the top of the plants and about the same hitting the sides of the plants. I have seedlings at 2 weeks old under 1 x 23w 6500k each at 4" to start then let them grow to a couple inches to the light then keep em at 2" for the rest of the grow. I'm saving for an L.E.D Veg/Bloom light. Hopefully after this grow.

I looked at the LED you are using and had no idea it was that cheap! I may get one sooner than i thought, but will wait to see how yours finishes before i buy...lol Is the light big enough to do more than one plant? or is it one panel per plant.

Side branches starting to form. Totally normal.
I know what they are. How many have you seen growing out of the Cotyledons? A 420 member who spends many hours on here looking at plants to diagnose problems and he's never seen it. Not totally normal, sorry.

I looked at the LED you are using and had no idea it was that cheap! I may get one sooner than i thought, but will wait to see how yours finishes before i buy...lol Is the light big enough to do more than one plant? or is it one panel per plant.

It's all going to depend on how big your plants are. The coverage of the light doesn't really change (raising/lowering the light does have some effect on the coverage), on their website they list it to cover 2.3'x2.5' @ a height of 24", which is a total of about 5.75 square feet. So it can handle as many plants as you can fit in that space, but I suggest no more than 2 at most. My 1 plant now currently is spread out over 4 square feet now.

I'm going to see what I yield on this grow, then do a grow with 2 plants, and see what I yield, and compare the yield per plant.
I have also just moved my light down closer, from 16" to 14" to see how it does, and I'm currently on day 28 of Flower.

I know what they are. How many have you seen growing out of the Cotyledons? A 420 member who spends many hours on here looking at plants to diagnose problems and he's never seen it. Not totally normal, sorry.

This is my current plant, Strawberry Blue, and was planted on November 13 2014, and this picture was taken 18 days later, and there is no branch growth from the cotyledons:
2014-12-01_18-08-11_898.jpg

This is my first time grow and I'm still doing lots of reading as I go through this adventure and am not sure about if it's coming from the Cotyledons but I started getting these growths recently on my Royal Dwarfs and it looks like they're coming out the same place your picture shows them coming out. So far none of the other strains I'm growing have anything growing out of the same spots.

IMG_20150521_075416872.jpg

IMG_20150521_075344312.jpg

IMG_20150521_075333280_HDR.jpg

She's going to be a great plant! keep us updated. :thumb:

If you look closely you can see the branches right at the bend. Growth everywhere! She's been delayed a couple weeks too because I took her out and chopped 1/3 of her roots off and put some fresh soil back in, lol. She's recovered and growing like crazy!

20150520_144706_1_.jpg

Why did you chop 1/3 of the roots off? Doesn't that cause a crazy amount of stress for the plant and risk of it dying? Were the roots rotting or something started going wrong that made you decide to chop them off or is there some kind of secret I haven't read about yet?

The medium I'm using is 75% peat moss with some starting nutrients that last 2-3 weeks. I did a flush and realized it was more of a heavy watering and the soil got compacted, so the plant wasn't getting enough oxygen to the roots and the nutrients in the soil was used up. I didn't have any nutes, so i figured I had nothing to lose. So i pulled her out of the pot and cut them roots with a large kitchen knife, dropped some fresh soil back in to replace what i had cut off with the roots. It's called root pruning, they will keep growing and producing more new roots, so now i know it works, lol. It slowed the plant down for a couple weeks and as of today she has come back strong. I wasn't too worried about her dying because she still had 2/3 of her roots. There's some great growers on this site that do root pruning, so i trusted their knowledge. :thumb:

As long as you don't damage the taproot, and the plant has enough roots left to maintain itself, you won't see any problems.

If there was enough root damage, the plant may go into shock, which you'll see a little wilting for a day or so, but just letting her do her thing, she'll recover on her own.

Some growers cut the tap root. I have myself. Not clean off from the stem. But I have pulled the earth away from the bottom and trimmed strait across a couple inches up trimming all the roots including the tap root.

Not exactly sure if I understand the basis for it. The reasoning behind it is to have all the plants grow evenly. I believe it promotes a more round fuller growth because the roots grow more outward and even verses sprinting to the bottom of the container and then going back up and wrapping around the container.

I actually only did it to one grow, not sure it made much of a difference in my 1 gallon containers.

No shit? I was always told, and read not to damage the taproot, anything else was ok.

Any chance you have an article about it? I'm always interested in learning something new :thumb:

Just to be a little more clear. Root trimming would be on a clone or plant done say at transplant or maybe before going to flower. So a well established root system.

You may be getting "don't damage the tap root" from sprouting seedlings on the paper towel method. You definitely don't want to damage that tap root. I will see if I can find the article for you.

:peacetwo:

Just to be a little more clear. Root trimming would be on a clone or plant done say at transplant or maybe before going to flower. So a well established root system.

You may be getting "don't damage the tap root" from sprouting seedlings on the paper towel method. You definitely don't want to damage that tap root. I will see if I can find the article for you.

:peacetwo:

I can't find the article. But another method of root trimming a clone "to stimulate root growth" is to cut vertically into the roots at transplant. Maybe 2 or 3 vertical cuts. Your not doing to much damage. Just a little to stimulate new root growth.

I trimmed the roots on this plant... It was basically an experiment for me, from a 24 oz cup. Cut the bottom 2 inches off, then made a couple vertical cuts into the roots. I transplanted into a 1 gallon container and abused her like a slave. Mainly HST and topping.

She rewarded me with 40 grams:
P10003713.JPG

Hi 420, I have this plant which appears to have new growth coming out of the Cotyledons, have you seen this before? I'm not worried about it just curious if anyone had a plant like it. :thanks:

I have a martian kush that had a leaf at the base of the stem under the cotyledons at soil level, kind of like you have at the cotyledons. I said to myself... I know I didn't plant 2 seeds in here. :scratchinghead:

Just some kind of weird mutation. :)

Back
Top Bottom