New tap root today

Finnicki

Almost forgot this seed on top of frig. Environment was not warm. Didn’t think it would pop. Didn’t in soil. So I tried the paper towel method. Paper towel was cool to touch. Boy was I shocked. I put it in soil in a peat pot. Moved it to a west facing window. What else can I do beside pray? Haven’t had much luck as of late. It is a Bubba Cookie. Thanks.

BE2257A8-3303-4743-B78F-B069B929808B.jpeg

Here is foto I forgot to post earlier. I have peat pot in a larger plastic container. I placed cups on a heating pad on low. Never bought a grow pad like Vivosun. Or I could put it in back porch which is warm/humid but no windows for sunshine. What is a better option?

It won't need light until it has finished putting that root to the bottom of the cup, and I don't think it needs heat at all, (it is already germinated) tho lack of cold for sure is helpful. Plan to remove the peat pot when you up-plant, they don't break down very well unless kept way too wet for the plant.

Why does cold help them? I was shocked at the size of the root. I have already placed another seed in the same spot. I chose the largest seed of the group for the first attempt. I did use an Emory board on the edge of the seed. Ditto on the second seed.

I did use an Emory board on the edge of the seed. Ditto on the second seed.
What is the reason for the emery board? I'm asking because it is the first time I have heard this.

I do a lot of searches on growing. Google it and find answers in a lot of different areas. One answer I read about was using a small blade or emery board to soften the seam along one edge of the seed. Look close and see a seam on one side. The other side is rounder, not a true seam. Removing some of that seam allows an easier path/escape of the tap root. I have tried soaking seeds. Maybe this was offered as a way to soften the seam. But one can drown the seed too.

Sanding the seam is fine but it should work great without it too. Soak seeds for 24 hours add a splash of hydrogen peroxide to gently sterilize & and a mil of liquid kelp if available, typically beans float but after about 12 to 16 hours if they are still floating push them to the bottom hopefully they will sink and stay on bottom. Personally I don’t use paper towel method, just soak for 24 and then right into soil or rapid rooter, might want to avoid handling a germinated seed, tail sprout or seedling for that matter, sterilize a plastic spoon with h202

Ditto on what Sueet said… Pressed peat pots and peat pucks are supposed to allow roots to grow right thru. However both can potentially cause failure to launch root problems. Before transplanting it’s best to snip the membrane off peat pucks or peel the peat pot away.

Peat pots might work better if soaked for an hour every day for about a week or two ahead of being used, but as we’ve seen lately on the faq boards they can be problematic on roots. Sometimes a window will make seedlings stretch tall, a stretched seedling is a sign of very weak light source. but cfl bulb (compact fluorescent light) placed a few inches away will help the seedling stand up and hopefully lose the helmet head..

best of luck with this one!

Why does cold help them? I was shocked at the size of the root. I have already placed another seed in the same spot. I chose the largest seed of the group for the first attempt. I did use an Emory board on the edge of the seed. Ditto on the second seed.
lack of cold - so I meant, it doesn't need to be warmed specifically, unless it is too cold.

Checked on it this am in peat pot. No sprout yet. Read here that one grower puts holes in peat pot to allow the roots to escape. Then puts peat into final pot.
I may try that. I have had luck soaking seed in water til a root appears. Just not
guud results every time.

Well, sure, you can put holes in the peat pot, but honestly the trouble it takes you to do that would be just as much as pulling the darn thing off. If you know it is a thing that causes some folks problems, why would you want to leave it in there? That's just my take on it. It is very bad to keep any plant as wet as those things need to be to break down.

I have a sprout this am!!! OMG! The other seed I moved to water yesterday and had a small tap root this am. OMGx2. Planted it in soil very shallow. Cross my fingers and hand on the Bible for these to mature. Last fall I switched to GeoFlora for veg & flower. Simpler than mixed liquid nutes. Hope to wait til the trichs get to the milky color this grow. I seem to take the buds too soon. These are photoperiods. I must have the patience. ( Trying to soak seeds in the past in warm water, or put seeds by the register to keep them warm. Water was cool that the seed sprouted in overnight. Sow, thoughts on this??

Heat is not a necessity for germination, it just 'helps' a bit, sometimes. Really, lack of cold is more important, than -heat- specifically - I hope that makes sense.
Gratz on the new babies! I have heard great things about geoflora, strongly considering trying it myself.
As for taking the flowers too soon, you can always make it a sort of committee decision, bring your pics here when you think it might be ready :)

Back
Top Bottom