Tap root length

Johnny5thesim

Hi all!

I’m just starting a new grow today. My last grow, I’ve waited until tap roots got to 5/8” or so before planting into my medium from paper towel. It took about 3 days to get to that length. However, I did have one specifically, that grew into the paper towel pretty good. I’m hoping to avoid this.

This new batch. In 11 hours taproots have grown to about a 1/4”!!

Can anyone give me assurance it’s not a big deal planting at this length? Is it totally ok? Or should I risk them growing like crazy overnight? And risk them growing into paper towels.

I’d love some feedback!! Thanks

As soon as they crack the seed they can go in mate, I put my seeds straight into coco, no paper towels, nothing.
Get them in and cranking.....

I pop them directly into a "knuckle-deep" hole in pre-charged coco as soon as any portion of the tap root is visible. I soak in bottled water a maximum of 24 hours. And, yes wayward sprouts can be a pain. Just put the seeds with any tap root showing into your growing medium faster to get them settled faster. The less steps necessary, the better.

The knuckle deep thing confuses me. Cause I don’t know if it’s the seed head that needs to be knuckle deep, or the bottom of the tap root.

I have about 3/16” from the surface to the seed head.

I think knuckle deep is the depth of the tap root .I poke a small hole with my finger in the medium and put it in tap root down then I barely cover the seed head with dirt. I then spray the top of the medium with plain water right around where the seed is and in a couple of days it is above the soil.

I think knuckle deep is the depth of the tap root .I poke a small hole with my finger in the medium and put it in tap root down then I barely cover the seed head with dirt. I then spray the top of the medium with plain water right around where the seed is and in a couple of days it is above the soil.

Perfect! That’s the same thing I am doing. I was getting all worried the seed head needed to be deeper!

I’ve just noticed the first one has already breached the soil. Only 18 hours later!

The knuckle deep thing confuses me. Cause I don’t know if it’s the seed head that needs to be knuckle deep, or the bottom of the tap root.

I have about 3/16” from the surface to the seed head.
Yep, 1/4" is plenty.

That is about the depth I'm planting at as well. Just down enough to take hold and root but close enough to "smell" the surface. Also, I don't attempt to "orient" the seed via its tap root. I like them just barely cracked, lain on their sides. They will orient themselves how they see fit.

I germ in root riots. No messing about with phing water or nutes, no paper towels, just chuck the seed in pointy side up, give a splash of tap water then leave anywhere other than the fridge and theyll be above ground in a few days. Had 1 falier in 4 years and i blame the seed for it lol.

Back
Top Bottom