Newbie Grow Room Question

So I am in the process of setting up my indoor grow room in a closet that is tucked underneath my staircase. The area is approx 4' x 2.5' x 3'. I plan on using foam insulation and lining that with 3M reflective film to maximize the amount of light in the area and to better keep the temp and humidity controlled. I am only starting with 3 plants, all in separate 2 gal planters with a digital MH/HPS 400w light system.

My question is whether or not the insulation/reflective film is overkill or not? Basically the entire room should reflect light, but I'm just not sure if anything gets lost if its not directly aimed at the plants themselves.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have seen a lot using black plastic as well. I am also concerned with losing a lot of heat, as the walls underneath do not have drywall or insulation. So it stays pretty cold down there. Probably around 60°. So the insulation would help keep boost the heat a little. I think...

I bought a roll of 4' x 25' of Mylar for $17 at a shop, that's the most reflective stuff I know of. Your yield is directly related to amount of light available so adding some cheap material is definitely worth it imo. If you can't get Mylar try Panda film, its almost as good and pretty dang durable. I think these materials would also hold in heat better?

I bought a roll of 4' x 25' of Mylar for $17 at a shop, that's the most reflective stuff I know of. Your yield is directly related to amount of light available so adding some cheap material is definitely worth it imo. If you can't get Mylar try Panda film, its almost as good and pretty dang durable. I think these materials would also hold in heat better?

For reference, THIS is what I am looking at using. It should be enough to cover the walls, ceiling and floor.

I don't feel the insulation is needed. The light will put off enough heat. If anything you may need to cool it. Also white paint always works well. I wrapped my room in black plastic and have a 4 ft reflective material wrapped all around the room. If I was to do it again I would have just made it all white.

People here and elsewhere did tests, and nothing beats a white wall. Just grab a brush, paint the wall white, and that is all you will need. I would not overthink it .. if you take a look at my first journal, tho failed, you will see how little you need in terms of equipment ... everything was not up to the task, but the plants grew fine.

As long as you have a lighttight 12/12 cycle, and are able to manage your temperatures, little can go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom