Newbie questions - Photos attached - Any help would be much appreciated

Jimmygent

I am starting a grow in my basement. I am finishing up electrical this week; Sub panel and Titan controls helios 9. I am spray foaming all the walls and ceilings next week and blue boarding and plastering. I have a flower room that is 9'x9' and a veg room that is 5'X9. Ceilings are only 7 feet tall.

1st question is what size phresh carbon filter and fan do i need? I want to cool my lights and exhaust it straight outside. Also i am interested in the phresh muffler to keep the noise to a minimum. Good? Bad? over kill?

2nd question. (lights) Is it okay to run (3) 1,000 HPS in the flower room or is that over kill. I prefer to run 3. Money isn't a factor. What and how many lights should i run for the veg room.

3rd questions. (ventilation) Wasn't sure what i needed for holes going outside. I had a window that i covered up with cinder block and concrete and i drilled two holes for the flower room (1 six inch in diameter and 1 four inch in diameter). I also drilled two four inch holes for the vegetation room. I have a 12,000BTU portable AC unit i was going to connect to the four inch hole for the flower room. Will that be okay to run in the flower room? I know those LG AC units cools the room down and blows air outside I'm not sure if that with the carbon filter is going to be sucking to much air outside. Do i need the two holes that i drilled for the veg room or is their no need for any holes in the veg room.

any help is appreciated.

:thanks:

IMG_123740.JPG
IMG_123640.JPG

Im new and on my first grow as well. Im currently using a 4x4x6.5 tent. 600 watt mh/hps vivosun light set up. The tempt can get pretty hot there. Im still working on getting fans, filter and ducting etc. You are working with a huge amount of space so 3 1k watts maybe ok with ac and fans. Ill ride along and give any info that i learn. Everyone is willing to help. I can't wait to see how those rooms turn out. Happy growin fam.

LOUD ONLY

Thats looks really good i cant wait to see the end result

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I am starting a grow in my basement. I am finishing up electrical this week; Sub panel and Titan controls helios 9. I am spray foaming all the walls and ceilings next week and blue boarding and plastering. I have a flower room that is 9'x9' and a veg room that is 5'X9. Ceilings are only 7 feet tall.

1st question is what size phresh carbon filter and fan do i need? I want to cool my lights and exhaust it straight outside. Also i am interested in the phresh muffler to keep the noise to a minimum. Good? Bad? over kill?

2nd question. (lights) Is it okay to run (3) 1,000 HPS in the flower room or is that over kill. I prefer to run 3. Money isn't a factor. What and how many lights should i run for the veg room.

3rd questions. (ventilation) Wasn't sure what i needed for holes going outside. I had a window that i covered up with cinder block and concrete and i drilled two holes for the flower room (1 six inch in diameter and 1 four inch in diameter). I also drilled two four inch holes for the vegetation room. I have a 12,000BTU portable AC unit i was going to connect to the four inch hole for the flower room. Will that be okay to run in the flower room? I know those LG AC units cools the room down and blows air outside I'm not sure if that with the carbon filter is going to be sucking to much air outside. Do i need the two holes that i drilled for the veg room or is their no need for any holes in the veg room.

any help is appreciated.

IMG_123740.JPG
IMG_123640.JPG
Awesome initiative first of all! Haha

My first thoughts comes to the choice of lights. I would definitely ditch the HPS if stealth is the objective. I've done flowering with LED at 27 degrees celcius and no filter at all, it was smelling inside the room but nothing outside really. I would put my money on a ozonificator (i have no idea if that's the english word). They kill all odours so zero worries.
If money is not an issue get some good LED from KIND led for example or anything that pricerange. I would calculate using a real wattage usage (it's sometimes stated 1000w but its really 400w) as a reference a 4x4 feet footprint a minimum of 1000w. Using LED your plants will tend to get a bit shorter as well which in your case is good and the quality in perfect conditions is supposedly superior to HPS.

Regarding ventilation its really easy, theres a fornula where you calculate the size of the room and you need the change the air in the room every 3 or 5 minutes (or something like that) then you calculate 20% less air in than out for optimal airflow. You should get a Co2 tank as well.

Subbed and merry Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Welcome Jimmy

I try to be able to exchange the hole room every minute.
Highly recommend to go to 8 inch for exhaust.
Make sure that amount of air can come in your room.

You need CO2 as plant food also for veg so you need some exchange there too.

Portable AC is not the best solution split would be perfect no air exchange to be filtered an much more effective.
I got a portable AC and cool the room in front of intake to get no smell leaks.

1000W covers 4x4 but need 1 foot minimum above canopy 600W might be better but I got no HPS experience.

Veg comes down to grow stile.
If you want to do the hole room at once 3x 400/600W MH
I try to keep veg W low and exchange 1/3 of my bloom room every 3 weeks to stay about 33% of bloom W for veg.

thanks for the responses. Definitely going to do
CO2. Kosher kush and gorilla glue strains. I've decided to do 4 high pressure sodiums. Not too sold on LED. I'm going to be running a water
Supply to the veg room. Does anyone know of any filtering system to keep the water cleaner

Thabks

Merry xmas

Thanks. Am I cool with leaving the 6 inch hole for exhaust. Don't feel like ripping out that duct work and doing concrete again. I'd like to do 4 high pressure sodiums. What size should my intake hole be on the other side of the exhaust hole? I have a "man cave" room adjacent to the grow rooms AM I cool with making a hole and drawing air from that room into flower room

Many filters out there for cleaning have a look at the bay ect. (50 - 80$)
You can go with cleaning or ro water with revers osmosis it is pure water but that sys waste 3/4 of the water. (100-150$ )

Educate some more about CO2 look for LEDRF he got some journals.
You can get the CO2 thru air (main reason for much air exchange beside temps )or with a tank.
Tank is a different game with sealed room, split ac CO2 controller and no air exchange so AC is running the hole year.

LED is ok but good models are quite pricy.
I only got about 2000W I can use in total and 7 celling so LED is better for me.

Your choice all I can say is I have 6 inch and would like more with 1200W LED in my bloom.

Intake as big or a bit bigger than outtake just make sure to get no light leaks.
Tape every control led sit in the dark room for 5 min to make sure it is dark.

Man cave is ok so you can use some CO2 you breath out :cheesygrinsmiley:

Many filters out there for cleaning have a look at the bay ect. (50 - 80$)
You can go with cleaning or ro water with revers osmosis it is pure water but that sys waste 3/4 of the water. (100-150$ )

Educate some more about CO2 look for LEDRF he got some journals.
You can get the CO2 thru air (main reason for much air exchange beside temps )or with a tank.
Tank is a different game with sealed room, split ac CO2 controller and no air exchange so AC is running the hole year.

LED is ok but good models are quite pricy.
I only got about 2000W I can use in total and 7 celling so LED is better for me.
If money is not an issue then LED panels would be the best choice, less heat, less smell, less chances of fungus and intruders, you don't burn the plants, you don't have to change bulbs for the next 10 years are they got a good 50 000 hours usually by factory guarantee .. the list is long. I really cannot see any cons in using LED if they are of good quality, don't buy on amazon haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I would avoid HID bulbs given your 7ft height restrictions. They give off a lot of heat. If your using multiple lamps then heat will be a problem even with a 8 inch fan. Defrost consider CFLs for germination, seedling and early veg and gently switch to LEDs early to mid veg.

I'm getting my LEDs next week the heat on these bulbs is a nightmare

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

any help is appreciated.

IMG_123740.JPG
IMG_123640.JPG

Hi Jimmy

Looks great ...! Good sized grow room ... and making it from scratch to your ideal spec - cost no object? Sweeeet ...

Here' my tuppence worth .... I'm planning my ideal grow room (sadly half the size of yours) .... getting started in Feb once my current crop's in the bag. Whilst I have in my minds eye the exact grow room I'd like to build .... plans never quite work out as intended, and I do find it has taken me two grows to really get to grips with the idiosyncrasies of my grow room to create the perfect environment. Though it could always be more perfect ...

Here's what I would be considering, given your space ...

Flowering Room:-
4 x 1000w, on light movers for the whole of that footprint. You probably want some wriggle / working room, so 3x1000w is dandy. If I was starting from scratch, I'd be looking at double ended bulbs. They lose their efficiency when they're air-cooled (unless you use the bespoke ac hoods which draw the air over the reflector rather than the bulb). You have a portable 12,000 btu a/c unit - and the rough ready reckoner is 4,000 btu per light. So maybe just enough for that room if you're not using the air-cooled hoods. Money no object? I'd personally look at sealing the space and getting one or two split system a/c units .... they don't vent any of the air outside, just re-condition the internal air, so carbon filtering the air's not an issue. You'd have to use CO2 ... plants can take a slightly higher temp and your yields will benefit.

Looking for between 50 & 65W per square foot ... 3x 1000w is at the lower end at c.50w/ft2 (assuming you're using 2/3 of the space ... though adding a might mover adds up to 40% extra efficiency, taking it to 70w). Personally, I'd add some CMH units; adding UV-B's at the end. All on light movers! I think the broader the spectrum the better ...
Not sure where you live, but you'll probably need some humidification too ...

Veg Room:-
In my ideal veg room, I'd have a mix of CMH and LED. Again, I'd be aiming for about 50-65w/ft2. Money no object again ... on light movers (though not as important as in the flowering room). Both lights seem to give great results in early stage side shoot formation. Smell is much less of an issue with vegging, so I'm not sure I'd even bother with a carbon filter.

Not sure what your ambient conditions are ... what's winter and summer like where you live? temps and humidity?

In your design, try and leave yourself flexibility. In a years' time, you'll still be making improvements to your space, based on what you learnt about it from your last grow ...

Subbed - excited to see how it turns out ...

Make sure you seal your joints where the 2x4s hit the floor. A well placed bead of silicon will do you well

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom