Newbie to here

Devo1228

420 Member
Hello everybody my name is Devo1228 an I’m growing a auto gelato. I would like to know when’s the right time to harvest? I’ve grown plenty of plants but for sum reason once it’s harvest I fail. Veg always good plants beautiful all the way up until I cut them down. Any pointers are much appreciated. I would always do about 10-15 plants but it just was to much. So I decided to grow one an give her all my attention. I’m in a 8foot tall tent with 1000w MH/HPS dimmable ballast. I used lst an she’s from big head seeds auto gelato. I have more pictures if needed plz Helpme ?

Attachments

• 641C2AE2-FDAE-4039-A2D0-018EE0AD48F5.jpeg
    641C2AE2-FDAE-4039-A2D0-018EE0AD48F5.jpeg
    788.3 KB · Views: 72
  • F9DE5302-4A3F-4330-A901-4B31C39DE14C.jpeg
    F9DE5302-4A3F-4330-A901-4B31C39DE14C.jpeg
    864.2 KB · Views: 67
  • F31C5300-C6CC-465E-9B8B-DAF37EF3DC63.jpeg
    F31C5300-C6CC-465E-9B8B-DAF37EF3DC63.jpeg
    902.5 KB · Views: 76
  • E07BFE0E-FC3D-4305-A2AA-F05BD35DDE41.jpeg
    E07BFE0E-FC3D-4305-A2AA-F05BD35DDE41.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 4440CFA2-9E27-40A2-85B4-6773C0E0B2E8.jpeg
    4440CFA2-9E27-40A2-85B4-6773C0E0B2E8.jpeg
    969.6 KB · Views: 76
Hi Devo, nice growing. The end is so important. After months of caring it's time to shine them up. Hydroholics trich chart is excellent to use for picking the right time to cut them down. A good drying and curing will bring you to their best side. If you have space and equipment a spare room works great. I hang them in a room with an rh of around 60% until they get crunchy to feel. From 4 to 7 days I think. I run a humidifier or dehumidifier to maintain the rh. For me this is the easiest way to dry. Large cardboard boxes work good too with strings running across to hang on. Both methods use some moving air in the room with a fan so no mold will set in. There's low and slow in the fridge. I hear that's a great way. Search for it.
When they are dry to around 58 to 60% I put them in jars with a 58% boveda moisture pack and seal them up to cure. Or vacuum seal.

The chart Hydroholic shared is a great reference but when to pull the trigger is up to you. My last 4 grows with Auto`s where all about the same length of time. The providers spec`s for all said harvest in 58 to 65 days is just a general guide provided for you.
I kept all of them going to 12 weeks (78 days). What I found helped me with my last 2 grows was running them at 10 ~ 8 hours on for the last 2 weeks instead of 12 ~ 14 hours.

Auto`s are also a different beast if you are coming from feminized photoperiod for the first time. You can be more aggressive with the amount you fertilize. But you cannot control them, hold them in veg if you screw up as with any feminized. They have a mind of their own.....

Your pic`s show she is well on her way and I would use 2 weeks more then what they said. Using 1000W ballasted bulbs will help them. Compared to LED`s .... LED`s are great, but ballasted light source has more balls!!

Also using your tent to dry them for the fist 10 to 14 days will help get them started drying. My buddy has his next grow working in the tent while he hangs his harvest ....

Good Lucy with her...Peace.....

It’s all about what you like. Try this chart.
Thank you for the chart. I’m going to go get one of the little telescopes to check them out today. I also took my first picture of her with out the light on. I’ll post it now. My main Concern is going to be like the steps from actually cutting down the plant or just letting her dry out complete in her soil. Then to wet trim dry trim?

Attachments

• 78272D3B-994B-442F-96AE-801DFB6C104F.jpeg
    78272D3B-994B-442F-96AE-801DFB6C104F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
It’s all about what you like. Try this chart.
Thank you for the chart. I’m going to go get one of the little telescopes to check them out today. I also took my first picture of her with out the light on. I’ll post it now. My main Concern is going to be like the steps from actually cutting down the plant or just letting her dry out complete in her soil. Then to wet trim dry trim?
Hi Devo, nice growing. The end is so important. After months of caring it's time to shine them up. Hydroholics trich chart is excellent to use for picking the right time to cut them down. A good drying and curing will bring you to their best side. If you have space and equipment a spare room works great. I hang them in a room with an rh of around 60% until they get crunchy to feel. From 4 to 7 days I think. I run a humidifier or dehumidifier to maintain the rh. For me this is the easiest way to dry. Large cardboard boxes work good too with strings running across to hang on. Both methods use some moving air in the room with a fan so no mold will set in. There's low and slow in the fridge. I hear that's a great way. Search for it.
When they are dry to around 58 to 60% I put them in jars with a 58% boveda moisture pack and seal them up to cure. Or vacuum seal.
Thanks for the info! My only dilemma is that I’ve tried every method except dry ice an the fridge. Do you have any information on dry ice? I’m going to look up the fridge right now but I will I just took up my first photo of her not underneath the light and I wanted to know what you think?

Attachments

• 1129B2A5-9396-454B-B14C-7A0DAE8EFC9C.jpeg
    1129B2A5-9396-454B-B14C-7A0DAE8EFC9C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 75
The chart Hydroholic shared is a great reference but when to pull the trigger is up to you. My last 4 grows with Auto`s where all about the same length of time. The providers spec`s for all said harvest in 58 to 65 days is just a general guide provided for you.
I kept all of them going to 12 weeks (78 days). What I found helped me with my last 2 grows was running them at 10 ~ 8 hours on for the last 2 weeks instead of 12 ~ 14 hours.

Auto`s are also a different beast if you are coming from feminized photoperiod for the first time. You can be more aggressive with the amount you fertilize. But you cannot control them, hold them in veg if you screw up as with any feminized. They have a mind of their own.....

Your pic`s show she is well on her way and I would use 2 weeks more then what they said. Using 1000W ballasted bulbs will help them. Compared to LED`s .... LED`s are great, but ballasted light source has more balls!!

Also using your tent to dry them for the fist 10 to 14 days will help get them started drying. My buddy has his next grow working in the tent while he hangs his harvest ....

Good Lucy with her...Peace.....
Thanks goofy foot I appreciate it!Hang drying hasn’t worked for me so I wanted To try either letting her completely dry out and her pot or going with the dry ice method or the vacuum sealing fridge method. I also just took my first picture of her not underneath the light and I wanted to know your thoughts on the methods I’m thinking about doing an on the plant please thank you

Attachments

• 1F6143DE-8B7A-4A85-94B2-3F083649BF0E.jpeg
    1F6143DE-8B7A-4A85-94B2-3F083649BF0E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
Truth be told I have only hung my plants to dry, when I have gotten mold, 4 times in 8 years growing. It was before cutting and it happened before my final flush.
I failed to get enough air to them, more of what happened. I fail to start with enough space, packing them in getting greedy. Then when they did take off I was stuck ... I now force as much air on to them as I do light.

So, 10 days before I do cut them I snip every leave from the stem and any with stems. Sticking out of the buds themselves.

I cut it entirely at the soil level and leave it complete for 3 to 4 days upside down. I wire it to a cloths hanger with a strong fan in a warm room. Usually by a water heater and I have even pulled the refrigerator away from the wall. And hung them behind it. Then I brake her down to individual stems and secure them to as many cloths hangers as needed. It usually takes 10 days for the leaf ends to get crumbly, fanning them the whole time.

From that point I cut them like 10 inches long still on the stems and use clean pizza boxes to help them along. I work in a restaurant and we sell pizza so I get them easily. I turn they over everyday for 2 weeks or more. When the stem wants to crack not bend I pop the buds off the stems and litely trim.
I don`t worry about making them all nice and manicured. Then give them as much time in the boxes till they are no longer springy when you pinch them. From there I just jar them up loosely and vent every 5 to 7 days for the first month. As they shrink I consolidate them.

You can also buy those silica packages / envelops they pack with electronics and add 1 or 2 to the jars to help draw out the moisture:

$8.00 on A-zon

1574549787277.png

A few friends of mine use their tents being you have fans on and being you have the lights lowered if you start a new grow. You have room it the top part of the tent to work with. Plus if you have charcoal filters connected it will help with the oder.

I have no info on dry ice (??) and only read about other options. I have no experience other then what I mentioned. I believe the frig method would work but I only assume you need one dedicated to just the plant(??) Sounds like a pain in the ass if you didn`t. I am also guesting he meant to vac/seal only after they had dried out, not still moist.

I also heard NOT to let them dry on the stem with the roots attached as it will still get you high, but ruins the quality. Becoming very harsh or unpleasant to smoke. You loss many of the terp`s // citrus, fruity essentials. Basically you spend a lot of time and cash to grow then take a great plant and turn it into rag weed.

I can only speak for what I know and don`t want to offer options I have not tried. It does suck to invest the time, months and electricity plus a $ 10.00 ~ $15.00 supremo seed. To have it spoiled by mold, I would rather someone come by and steal it then to compost it ......

...Peace.....

how much time do you have on her ?? only guesting she might need a little shot of Cal Mag. It is a safer alternative then JUST upping the nuit`s. It is actually more beneficial for autos as it allows them to use the nuit`s you are giving her more effectively. Magnesium builds chlorophyll and is more important then nitrogen and Calcium wraps the NPK molecules and transports them from the roots through out the whole plant.

These were my last 2 autos after 32 days from showing pistils so actually more like 42-45 days old, not bragging. Good seeds ..!! and it took 4 grows to get the nuit`s figured out for autos.

how much time do you have on her ?? only guesting she might need a little shot of Cal Mag. It is a safer alternative then JUST upping the nuit`s. It is actually more beneficial for autos as it allows them to use the nuit`s you are giving her more effectively. Magnesium builds chlorophyll and is more important then nitrogen and Calcium wraps the NPK molecules and transports them from the roots through out the whole plant.

These were my last 2 autos after 32 days from showing pistils so actually more like 42-45 days old, not bragging. Good seeds ..!! and it took 4 grows to get the nuit`s figured out for autos.
OK so when you’re asking me how much time do I have on her what do you mean by that like how much time do I have to spend with her how Long has she been alive? For some reason it’s telling me you granting me access to watch that video but it’s asking me to sign in and I don’t know how? Now down to the Cal mag is that why her leaves kind a looks spotty?

Truth be told I have only hung my plants to dry, when I have gotten mold, 4 times in 8 years growing. It was before cutting and it happened before my final flush.
I failed to get enough air to them, more of what happened. I fail to start with enough space, packing them in getting greedy. Then when they did take off I was stuck ... I now force as much air on to them as I do light.

So, 10 days before I do cut them I snip every leave from the stem and any with stems. Sticking out of the buds themselves.

I cut it entirely at the soil level and leave it complete for 3 to 4 days upside down. I wire it to a cloths hanger with a strong fan in a warm room. Usually by a water heater and I have even pulled the refrigerator away from the wall. And hung them behind it. Then I brake her down to individual stems and secure them to as many cloths hangers as needed. It usually takes 10 days for the leaf ends to get crumbly, fanning them the whole time.

From that point I cut them like 10 inches long still on the stems and use clean pizza boxes to help them along. I work in a restaurant and we sell pizza so I get them easily. I turn they over everyday for 2 weeks or more. When the stem wants to crack not bend I pop the buds off the stems and litely trim.
I don`t worry about making them all nice and manicured. Then give them as much time in the boxes till they are no longer springy when you pinch them. From there I just jar them up loosely and vent every 5 to 7 days for the first month. As they shrink I consolidate them.

You can also buy those silica packages / envelops they pack with electronics and add 1 or 2 to the jars to help draw out the moisture:

$8.00 on A-zon

1574549787277.png

A few friends of mine use their tents being you have fans on and being you have the lights lowered if you start a new grow. You have room it the top part of the tent to work with. Plus if you have charcoal filters connected it will help with the oder.

I have no info on dry ice (??) and only read about other options. I have no experience other then what I mentioned. I believe the frig method would work but I only assume you need one dedicated to just the plant(??) Sounds like a pain in the ass if you didn`t. I am also guesting he meant to vac/seal only after they had dried out, not still moist.

I also heard NOT to let them dry on the stem with the roots attached as it will still get you high, but ruins the quality. Becoming very harsh or unpleasant to smoke. You loss many of the terp`s // citrus, fruity essentials. Basically you spend a lot of time and cash to grow then take a great plant and turn it into rag weed.

I can only speak for what I know and don`t want to offer options I have not tried. It does suck to invest the time, months and electricity plus a $ 10.00 ~ $15.00 supremo seed. To have it spoiled by mold, I would rather someone come by and steal it then to compost it ......

...Peace.....
yeah it’s OK man I only speak on what I’ve been through and based off of what you told me I’m gonna really take all that into consideration and most likely go with those silica packs I like the idea of that what you said about the dry ice method it’s OK I just heard it from one of my girl buddies. I have a little clip fan at the top of my tent I have a oscillating fan at the bottom to seal two bags and then the carbon filter fan at the top so maybe I can use the top half of my tent to dry my buds But regardless thank you man I really appreciate the information

Back
Top Bottom