OGsour912

Hey guys; complete novice trying to get some advice on starting a grow. Just a few questions I wanted to ask before starting..

How much space (and how many plants would you suggest) do I need to grow just got personal supply? Me and my live in gf probably run through a quarter every week and a half. Sometimes he stretches longer.

I have heard of grow boxes... Are these things worth the money? Do they contain the smell?

My options for grow space are pretty limited. Any suggestions on solid spots to grow? Are there ways to contain smell?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tents are a popular option for growing. A 4' x 4' tent w/ perhaps a 400W lamp. Going w/ soil/soilless is popular w/ new growers. You could comfortably grow 4-5 plants in that size tent. Ventilation and temperature considerations must be made for the tent environment, and an exhaust fan must also be provided for the tent or through a ventilated light hood.

If you're fortunate enough to be in a medical cannabis state, Craigslist has a wide selection of used grow equipment which is a good choice for new growers.

Tents are great but it also depends how stealth you need to be; a grow tent in the middle of your living room does stand out so if you need subtlety you could get a wardrobe and convert that into a grow cab quite easily. To get a couple of oz every couple of months you don't need much space and could get away with one plant, but you'll want a veg section so you can get it running perpetually; flower one, harvest, and then have another ready to flower straight away. Or grow a larger plant in a bigger space to give you a big enough yield to allow for the veg and flower time required for the next crop.

For smell you need to extract the air so you've got negative pressure in the grow room so air doesn't leak out, and either extract it outside, or through a carbon filter. I'd recommend extracting through a carbon filter even if you're dumping the air outside as then neighbours won't smell anything.

I converted one side of a cupboard into a grow space (the start of my AutoBomb journal shows the build) - the space is only about 45cm x 60cm and my best yield so far is 3.5oz. If I didn't dick about and got organised it would be possible to go perpetual and pull between 2-4oz every 2-3m depending on strain I think, so you don't need much space. And I still use the rest of the cupboard as a wardrobe.

Wow I had no idea that you could grow in that small of a space. I have to keep it pretty stealth. Does the carbon filter eliminate the smell completely?

Yeah, you don't need a lot of space. Height is probably the most important, there's nothing worse than switching to flower and then not having enough height when the plant stretches, so leave yourself a decent amount of height to play with.

A good carbon filter will remove any smell, as long as the extraction fan's on all the time drawing air through it and creating negative pressure in the cabinet, otherwise the smell will leak out through the cracks round the door etc.

Back
Top Bottom