Jacked

Hello all, first time grower so pardon me in advance if i seem ignorant :)
After germinating in a glass of water and planting in it's growing medium after about 48h (the seed had cracked a little and the taproot was peeking out) it has been growing very slow for the past 10 days.
It took a week for it to break the soil's surface and when it did, the shell casing was still on tight. After comming to the conclusion that it would fall off on it's own, i left it for 3 more days, the shell was still on tight so the descision was made to remove it, which was done this morning.
The cotyledon leaves seem to be stuck together and the top part is white with a brown spot on it's end. Not sure if it's the membrane or not, but one thing's for sure, it's stuck tight.

So my two questions are, have I taken the casing off too early? Is that even possible?
Is the white and brown I'm seeing part of the membrane? And if so will it come off on it's own? Because removing it manualy seems hard considering how it's stuck on.
And will the little seedling recover from the potential damage caused to the leaves/stem?

Many thanks in advance for helping out.
(Sorry for the picture quality, bit bright):
20150909_150850_1_.jpg

I think, from my experience anyway, that if there's a problem it will be under the surface-with the roots. Most problems I've had with seedlings and sprouts have been caused by rotting root issues. This issue relates to overly wet roots and/or temps that are a little cold. I don't think any damage you may have caused to the top would kill it.
To try and answer your questions though-at least somewhat- I've never had much luck trying to remove the casing. I just try to give the seeds good growing conditions and then let them do their thing. The times I've started poking around and trying to improve upon nature I have usually just made things worse. A healthy sprout won't have any issues. Some seedlings are weak from the start though so it could be bad luck.

I've germinated countless seeds and I've had a few with the same problem. Stunted growth, shell doesn't want to come off, etc. I usually consider these "duds", but I have grown a few which ended up having problems later on. I've also helped take that last little piece of shell off from seedlings, and it has never done any harm. I'm no expert but hopefully that color goes away. Maybe try adding a little bit of rooting accelerator next watering?

I think, from my experience anyway, that if there's a problem it will be under the surface-with the roots. Most problems I've had with seedlings and sprouts have been caused by rotting root issues. This issue relates to overly wet roots and/or temps that are a little cold. I don't think any damage you may have caused to the top would kill it.
To try and answer your questions though-at least somewhat- I've never had much luck trying to remove the casing. I just try to give the seeds good growing conditions and then let them do their thing. The times I've started poking around and trying to improve upon nature I have usually just made things worse. A healthy sprout won't have any issues. Some seedlings are weak from the start though so it could be bad luck.

Thanks for the quick reply!
It's still day one (after removing the casing) and i can't really make out the 2 cotyledons yet, as you can see on the picture. If it is indeed the membrane that's still attached, I'm trying to fix that problem by misting it every few hours to try and help it slip off.
I'll wait a day or two, see how the lil seedling reacts, and i'll keep you guys posted.

Back
Top Bottom