No effects from vaping

andyb53

420 Member
my wife (and myself) are medical marijuana patients in ohio. she has fibromyalgia and takes morphine for the pain. she has been taking morphine for about 15 years. her daily dose is 90 mg (30 mg 3 times a day). when we vape she takes 8 or 10 hits and feels nothing. i take 3 or 4 hits and am toasted. she vapes every evening for the past 4 or 5 weeks yet still feels nothing. would appreciate hearing your thoughts on if u think the morphine could be masking the thc. i will say she can drink a glass of wine and feel it. she also takes soma as needed and can feel it's effects. thanks

It's known that pain can block the high from THC. Cannabinoids can be used along with opioid medications, and a number of studies have demonstrated that they can reduce the amount of opioids needed, lessen the buildup of tolerance, and reduce the severity of withdrawal. A combination of CBD to THC from >20:1 to 1:1 is recommended for pain, with doses of 10 to 40mg. Every patient is different, and you'll need to find the right combination and dosage for her.

This information comes from CBD A Patient’s Guide To Medicinal Cannabis.

8 or 10 hits and feels nothing
Hey Andy and welcome to 420 mag! :welcome:

This is absolutely a thing - what your partner experiences.

I use cannabis for chronic pain and on higher pain or flare days I definitley do not get as high from what i use. Many on us experience this phenomenon and have discussed it around here a bit. I’ve seen it documented elsewhere as well. It’s like the cannbinoids have other ‘work’ to do and just don’t have the same psychoactive effects.

Most research and clinical evidence is now is touting a 1:1 ratio of CBD to THC for pain and I started using this ratio about 8 months ago. It’s a winner for sure.

I’m curious if your lovely other felt any deeper pain relief from usin it. As Salty said, cannbinoids will definitley make the opioids more effective. Many time people can reduce their opioid needs quite significantly by combining it with cannabis.

It’s a total bummer she’s not getting high from it tho! :eek: I do know that feeling.

It also took me a while to get it together with the vape and get it working when I first got one. It’s also possible that all the masking effects of her pain condition and the opioids may mean she needs to hit it with some combustion and see if that is any better.

I hope that helps a little bit - even to know that yes, that can happen! You’re not imagining it!

:Namaste:

Hey Andy and welcome to 420 mag! :welcome:

This is absolutely a thing - what your partner experiences.

I use cannabis for chronic pain and on higher pain or flare days I definitley do not get as high from what i use. Many on us experience this phenomenon and have discussed it around here a bit. I’ve seen it documented elsewhere as well. It’s like the cannbinoids have other ‘work’ to do and just don’t have the same psychoactive effects.

Most research and clinical evidence is now is touting a 1:1 ratio of CBD to THC for pain and I started using this ratio about 8 months ago. It’s a winner for sure.

I’m curious if your lovely other felt any deeper pain relief from usin it. As Salty said, cannbinoids will definitley make the opioids more effective. Many time people can reduce their opioid needs quite significantly by combining it with cannabis.

It’s a total bummer she’s not getting high from it tho! :eek: I do know that feeling.

It also took me a while to get it together with the vape and get it working when I first got one. It’s also possible that all the masking effects of her pain condition and the opioids may mean she needs to hit it with some combustion and see if that is any better.

I hope that helps a little bit - even to know that yes, that can happen! You’re not imagining it!

thanks amy. it is a bit disappointing that she is getting no pain relief either. it does however help a bit with her sleep and she has a terrible sleep disorder also. all stems from the fibromyalgia.

my wife (and myself) are medical marijuana patients in ohio. she has fibromyalgia and takes morphine for the pain. she has been taking morphine for about 15 years. her daily dose is 90 mg (30 mg 3 times a day). when we vape she takes 8 or 10 hits and feels nothing. i take 3 or 4 hits and am toasted. she vapes every evening for the past 4 or 5 weeks yet still feels nothing. would appreciate hearing your thoughts on if u think the morphine could be masking the thc. i will say she can drink a glass of wine and feel it. she also takes soma as needed and can feel it's effects. thanks
Truth is some people do not get high from pot and others may get so high they will never touch it again.And most of pots effects right now are anecdotal at best because there are so many factors that apply to the outcome.Its hit or miss good luck.

Truth is some people do not get high from pot and others may get so high they will never touch it again.And most of pots effects right now are anecdotal at best because there are so many factors that apply to the outcome.Its hit or miss good luck.
yeah that's what we are finding out. trying edibles soon and hope that is more helpful.

:thumb: Edible is essential for me to sleep. THC becomes a more potent molecule (changes shape) when we ingest it so she may well find better relief with that, and perhaps some recreational enjoyment as well.

Personally I use under the tongue doses with infused oils during the day to manage pain (my condition also includes Fibromyalgia) and then an edible at night. I also vape, smoke or take the edibles on higher pain/breakthrough days. For the pain treatment I highly recommend a 1:1 dose with CBD:THC. A huge amount of the research and the emerging clinical data suggest that that ratio can be the most effective for pain, and that has definitely been my experience.

Can your partner get high from smoking it? Just curious if it’s delivery related or across the board. :Namaste:

:thumb: Edible is essential for me to sleep. THC becomes a more potent molecule (changes shape) when we ingest it so she may well find better relief with that, and perhaps some recreational enjoyment as well.

Personally I use under the tongue doses with infused oils during the day to manage pain (my condition also includes Fibromyalgia) and then an edible at night. I also vape, smoke or take the edibles on higher pain/breakthrough days. For the pain treatment I highly recommend a 1:1 dose with CBD:THC. A huge amount of the research and the emerging clinical data suggest that that ratio can be the most effective for pain, and that has definitely been my experience.

Can your partner get high from smoking it? Just curious if it’s delivery related or across the board. :Namaste:
no high from vaping. i made some butter about two years ago and we didn't know how to dose so she got way too much and was definitely feeling it, so we know ingesting has an effect. our edibles here are way more expensive than bud so we are trying that first.

no high from vaping. i made some butter about two years ago and we didn't know how to dose so she got way too much and was definitely feeling it, so we know ingesting has an effect. our edibles here are way more expensive than bud so we are trying that first.

Do a search here for strains that have worked for others with fibromyalgia. There are dozens of returns for the search, so you'll have several suggestions.

It can be difficult to get strains with a high CBD content from the dispensaries here in Canada. Even the Licensed Producers herein Canada had nothing to offer three years ago, with the exception of oil and powder that carried a very high price.

If you have the time, I strongly recommend growing your own, providing it's legal where you live. Use the dispensaries to try different strains and find one that works, and then to carry you through to your first harvest. If you can't find something that works at the dispensaries, your grow will be hit or miss. You'll find that your first grow will cover your equipment costs. Your second and third grows will fund growing improvements, and equipment you can use to process your harvest, such as extracting with or without solvents, making oils, and tinctures.

Do a search here for strains that have worked for others with fibromyalgia. There are dozens of returns for the search, so you'll have several suggestions.

It can be difficult to get strains with a high CBD content from the dispensaries here in Canada. Even the Licensed Producers herein Canada had nothing to offer three years ago, with the exception of oil and powder that carried a very high price.

If you have the time, I strongly recommend growing your own, providing it's legal where you live. Use the dispensaries to try different strains and find one that works, and then to carry you through to your first harvest. If you can't find something that works at the dispensaries, your grow will be hit or miss. You'll find that your first grow will cover your equipment costs. Your second and third grows will fund growing improvements, and equipment you can use to process your harvest, such as extracting with or without solvents, making oils, and tinctures.
thanks salt. not legal to grow my own yet although i have studied the process and equipment needed. the pharm strains change frequently and we don't use a lot of bud so not much experimentation happening in that area. off topic, how long were you in? i did four years as a bubblehead in the 70's.

thanks salt. not legal to grow my own yet although i have studied the process and equipment needed. the pharm strains change frequently and we don't use a lot of bud so not much experimentation happening in that area. off topic, how long were you in? i did four years as a bubblehead in the 70's.

Over 20 years in the Canadian Navy, Feb '77 - Nov '97. I spent most of my time on the east coast. I took the HMCS Huron to the west coast, and was there for a year and a half. They posted me on a factory course to the Netherlands in '89 for the year.

Hopefully they'll legalize it where you live soon. Once the US takes it off of Schedule 1, it will rapidly become legal world wide. The US carries a big stick in controlling drug legislation in every country.

Over 20 years in the Canadian Navy, Feb '77 - Nov '97. I spent most of my time on the east coast. I took the HMCS Huron to the west coast, and was there for a year and a half. They posted me on a factory course to the Netherlands in '89 for the year.

Hopefully they'll legalize it where you live soon. Once the US takes it off of Schedule 1, it will rapidly become legal world wide. The US carries a big stick in controlling drug legislation in every country.
thanks for your 20 years my northern brother. yeah it's pretty much bullshit the way politicians are so scared of something a lot less dangerous than alcohol.

Hey andy, i’ll add here also that if you’re a little bit adventurous in the kitchen it’s quite straight forward to make your own infused oils using a canning jar and your oven.

I documented my pwn process of making some small batches of oils to test in this post linked here, and there is also a dosing oil link in my signature which is a similar process (just not a mini batch). It only takes a couple of grams of dried flower to make a small test amount :). Check those out and see if it seems like something you could do. The oil is versatile in that I can dose it under my tongue, and also add it to food or a beverage and it’s instantly an edible.

If you decide to make your own oil there are numerous folks around here happy to advise and support you throught the process, including me. I hadn’t done anything like it before joining here, and was really nervous making my first few batches but it all went fine and I haven’t looked back!

In my experience, regular pot use increases my tolerance to opioids. I usually end up in the hospital once a year with a recurring acute pancreatitis attack so I know from where I speak. They always start me off at 2.5 or 5mg iv morphine during these attacks but I get no relief until I have 10mg on board. I don't take morphine for anything else, only during these attacks, which present with the worse pain I've ever experienced. One of the nurses told me it's likely because of the pot habit. It makes sense because 5mg used to work ok until I became an (almost) daily pot user. My body is weird tho.

I also never get much of a jag from vaping anything; from concentrates to kief to weed, which is a big reason I moved to mainly edibles.

90 milligrams a day tho...holy $#@% that's a lot of morph especially after 15 years. It's a bit surprising to me that her doctor hasn't tried a fentanyl patch or some other alternative over that time frame. But at least she can still get the script. In Canada, it's getting harder and harder to get docs to prescribe any opioids due to the abuse of over-prescribing as well as all the OD deaths from street crap. Even for the people who really need them.

Good luck finding what works for you and your wife Andy. It's edibles for me all the way but like I said, my body isn't the norm. Pain is such a quality of life and productivity killer I know!

Cheers

In my experience, regular pot use increases my tolerance to opioids. I usually end up in the hospital once a year with a recurring acute pancreatitis attack so I know from where I speak. They always start me off at 2.5 or 5mg iv morphine during these attacks but I get no relief until I have 10mg on board. I don't take morphine for anything else, only during these attacks, which present with the worse pain I've ever experienced. One of the nurses told me it's likely because of the pot habit. It makes sense because 5mg used to work ok until I became an (almost) daily pot user. My body is weird tho.

I also never get much of a jag from vaping anything; from concentrates to kief to weed, which is a big reason I moved to mainly edibles.

90 milligrams a day tho...holy $#@% that's a lot of morph especially after 15 years. It's a bit surprising to me that her doctor hasn't tried a fentanyl patch or some other alternative over that time frame. But at least she can still get the script. In Canada, it's getting harder and harder to get docs to prescribe any opioids due to the abuse of over-prescribing as well as all the OD deaths from street crap. Even for the people who really need them.

Good luck finding what works for you and your wife Andy. It's edibles for me all the way but like I said, my body isn't the norm. Pain is such a quality of life and productivity killer I know!

Cheers
yeah, the one thing that freaks her out is fear of it getting harder to have the morphine prescribed. she does a slow release 30 mg, e times a day. the only good thing is that she has not had to increase the dose for the las 12 years. if we knew then what we know now about the morph we would have run away screaming. it has wrecked her health in so many ways.

Hey andy, i’ll add here also that if you’re a little bit adventurous in the kitchen it’s quite straight forward to make your own infused oils using a canning jar and your oven.

I documented my pwn process of making some small batches of oils to test in this post linked here, and there is also a dosing oil link in my signature which is a similar process (just not a mini batch). It only takes a couple of grams of dried flower to make a small test amount :). Check those out and see if it seems like something you could do. The oil is versatile in that I can dose it under my tongue, and also add it to food or a beverage and it’s instantly an edible.

If you decide to make your own oil there are numerous folks around here happy to advise and support you throught the process, including me. I hadn’t done anything like it before joining here, and was really nervous making my first few batches but it all went fine and I haven’t looked back!
amy, thanks for the links. i have some avb that i want to use for a tincture an am anxious to give it a try. and i am adventurous in the kitchen. i do all the cooking and i love to bake.

Oh yeah! You can make a decent topical oil from the avb too. My last topical oil run, i used a whole lot of bud and a whole lot of AVB combined (like over a years worth).

I forgot to mention that a high THC topical (10-20mg/ml) can be awesome addition to the Fibro pain relief regime - particularly for the burning muscles (in my case any way).

And the infused oils are exactly a kind of tincture, just made into oil instead of alcohol.

Hopefully you’re at the start of a fruitful journey of finding ways to get relief from the beautiful plant companion that cannabis is.

Back
Top Bottom