Pick any seeds yet?
Yes! Decided on them about this time last year actually and Seedsman being a contest supporting sponsor helped make it a reality for me :thanks: So i’ve been gearing up for it, honing my chops ;) I have Panama and Bubba Hash lined up - just in the regular 7gal pots. ANd maybe a couple of dynamo’s DDA in a 3-5gl pot in a corner, just as a bonus. The pheno he made is prone to produce budsicles so there should be room and wow it’s also the most syrupy delicious cannabis I have ever experienced - and it had me dancing to music that was just welling up inside me. Was totally fantastic! I’m keen for more.

@SmokeyMcFly wrote a great description of high Brix growing in his thread so i want to share it here too - I don’t think he will mind. It’s always great to have clear adn engaging descriptions handy for when folks ask about it :thumb:
Brix is just a measure of the sugar levels in a plant. High Brix is a term for plants with a high sugar content which = high Brix readings. They’re typically grown in high mineral content soil specially formulated to produce high Brix plants using microbes to break down minerals that plants can’t break down on their own and then feeds it to the plants. If you have ever eaten at a high end restaurant where the vegetables tasted amazing and unlike the ones you buy at the grocery store you have experienced high Brix produce. In mj this equals higher terpene levels and somehow just more potent smoke. It’s technically just a soil grow but without the need to ever worry about ph issues as the minerals in the soil will buffer the ph for you. This is actually how all plants used to grow before over farming stripped the soil and the advent of petrochemical fertilizers became popular wreaking havoc on the quality and nutritional value of the produce we consume.

:thanks: Smokey

Oh and if anyone is interested grow room environmental control automation and remote monitoring, I highly recommend checking out Somkey’s build.

@SmokeyMcFly wrote a great description of high Brix growing in his thread so i want to share it here too - I don’t think he will mind. It’s always great to have clear adn engaging descriptions handy for when folks ask about it :thumb:

:thanks: Smokey

Oh and if anyone is interested grow room environmental control automation and remote monitoring, I highly recommend checking out Somkey’s build.

The DDA sounds really awesome and so does Panama and Bubba Hash! I could see myself growing the exact same lineup, honestly.

Mini Batch Run - Infused Oil Testers :cheer:

I started this almost a month ago when I decarbed a small amount of 4 different chemovars in the oven for 110minutes @ 110ºC (with about 15mins drying time beforehand factored in).

I’m keen to test out what these are like at different times of day, and for differnt purposes etc. I’m looking for pain relief during the day without sedation and for focus enhancement as well. I had an awesome study session a while back fueled by some AUto Pounder and a coffee. The AP had strong coffee terps during flower and it felt like a really good match when I had them together. I dont drink coffee much anymore (recently has been the first time in over 2 years), so I’m keen to compliment it’s effects by adding some AP infused oil to a cup of coffee pre study sessions. I’m also keen to see what the Kush oil is like for sleep.

So!
DECABOXYLATION
I use @InTheShed ’s innovative method of foil pouches to decarb’ - taking care to see that the edges are well sealed.

full

Budfordecarb.jpeg

full

Budswrappedinfoilpouchesfordecarb.jpeg

This decarb happened on March 7 and I wasn’t in a position to do the rest right away. I usually give the decarb’d bud at least overnight in the freezer before infusing, so these pouches got overnight for 3 weeks!

Yesterday I fired up the oven and pulled out the decarbed pouches. I had weighed out 2g of each except the Auto Pounder which weighed at 1g. Strangely, the decarb’d amounts weighed in at about the same :hmmmm: - I’m going to go with the theory that at small weights, my scales don’t perform very well. What I ended up with was decarb’d weights of 2g of MiG, Blue Dream, and the Kush and 1.5g of Auto Pounder.

I use the basic guide of 1g per oz. of oil for all my medicinal oils. I plan to experiment with that a little bit once I settle on the ones I like. For this batch, the Auto Pounder went into just over an oz. of oil and the rest got 2oz. of oil each.

Decarb’d bud ready to go Extra Virgin Olive Oil ...
full

Drcarbedbudreadyforinfusion.jpeg

Into the oven @100ºC for 8hrs - I use foil in place of the lid and place a very tiny hole in the foil, the size of a pinprick. I believe this is good to keep the pressure even.

full

BatchofminiEVOOinfusions.jpeg

Cooked Infused :)
full

Postinfusion.jpeg

I then added a tiny teaspoon of Liquid Sunflower Lecithin. The usual ratio is 1tblsp of the liquid lecithin per cup of oil and I figured that is about 10% of the liquid volume so that’s what I approximated with the mini teaspoon.
full

Addinglecithinpostinfusion.jpeg

I make sure to add the lecithin while the oil is still warm so it mixes in nicely (I take the liquid lecithin out of the fridge the day before, too, so it’s softer).

full

MIxinthelecithinwhileoilistillwarm.jpeg

Then strain into whatever bottle you like. These, I put straight into the 25ml dispenser bottles. I failed to catch the double-layer of cheesecloth i use to strain it in the photo :eek: Terrible! Above this bottle is a tiny funnel with folded cheesecloth placed inside it (like the way a coffee filter sits in its funnel) to strain out any plant matter.

full

Straininto25mlbottle.jpeg

The samples are now in the fridge and will get 24hrs there before being ready to use.

The liquid lecithin allows the cannbinoid molecules to attach to the EVOO molecules for effective absorbtion into our bodies and this 24hrs in the fridge is when the bulk of this molecular bonding takes place.

4 beautiful little 25ml sample bottles for me to play with!

full

4optionsinfusedEVOO.jpeg

24hrs in the fridge, then, let the testing begin!

There is about the same amount left in all the little Mason pots, they will get stored in the fridge until I need to replenish.

I’ll lay out my basic ‘recipe’ here to summarise. I’ll do it as if i was making cup of oil so the quantities will be clearer. I simply reduced these amounts to do this micro run.

8g decarbed bud
dry in pouch in oven for 15mins at 105ºC
Continue in oven for 110mintes at 110ºC to decarboxylate.
place in freezer overnight (this is optional but may do something to help retain terpenes)

8oz (1cup) of EVOO (ideally organic, cold-pressed)
Seal with decarb’d bud in Mason jar or similar, use foil in place of the lid and put a tiny pinprick in it.
Infuse for 6-8hrs at 100ºC
Some folks are seeing stronger infusions by stopping the process half-way though, letting things cool, and then running again.
You can also do this step in a Magic Butter Machine but it is minimum 2cups of oil (8oz)

1 tblsp of Liquid Sunflower Lecithin per every cup of oil.
You can add this before or after infusion, but prefer after
Blend the liquid lecithin in while the oil is still warm.
Strain into final container/bottle or jar and refigerate for 24hrs.

Experiment and enjoy! And if you’re like me, enjoy almost pain-free days and some blessed sleep at nights :love: . I love cannabis.

I dont make capsules. I prefer to dose from the dropper either straight onto food, into a beverage or under my tongue (which works well for me). The best options I’ve found tho’ is when I have coconut milk in the beverage or when i put it straight onto peanut butter! :p
I’ve wanted to do this batch of minis for ages and I’m so happy to get it done :cheer:

I’ve experienced a nice reduction in pain (about40%) just from licking my fingers after straining the MiG29 (Haze) and my usual CBD dose. It was early in the day so I figured that one was worth getting a taste of - the others i simply wiped off my hands cause i didn’t want to muddy things up. I’ve also had no desire to reach for my vape since then so that tells me it’s working well already. It will be even better tomorrow no doubt.

Happy oily weekend to all :Namaste:

overnight for 3 weeks!
LOL!

If you heat to dry in the sealed pouch the water doesn't escape and therefore is probably reabsorbed, leading to:
Strangely, the decarb’d amounts weighed in at about the same
I use foil in place of the lid and place a very tiny hole in the foil, the size of a pinprick. I believe this is good to keep the pressure even.
That's how Oldbear taught me!
(I take the liquid lecithin out of the fridge the day before, too, so it’s softer).
Oops, should I be keeping mine in the fridge?
Great tutorial and those bottles are really cool! Well done all round Ms Amy...:bravo:

I was able to read your oil-making post again and bookmarked it. Any reason you use EVOO over other oils?

Yeah she’s got me running to check mine in the cupboard right now :rofl:

Mini Batch Run - Infused Oil Testers :cheer:

I started this almost a month ago when I decarbed a small amount of 4 different chemovars in the oven for 110minutes @ 110ºC (with about 15mins drying time beforehand factored in).

I’m keen to test out what these are like at different times of day, and for differnt purposes etc. I’m looking for pain relief during the day without sedation and for focus enhancement as well. I had an awesome study session a while back fueled by some AUto Pounder and a coffee. The AP had stroking coffer terps during flower and it felt like a really good match when I had them together. I dont drink coffee much anymore (recently has been the first time in over 2 years), so I’m keen to compliment it’s effects by adding some AP infused oil to a cup of coffee pre study sessions. I’m also keen to see what the Kush oil is like for sleep.

So!
DECABOXYLATION
I use @InTheShed ’s innovative method of foil pouches to decarb’ - taking care to see that the edges are well sealed.

This decarb happened on March 7 and I wasn’t in a position to do the rest right away. I usually give the decarb’d bud at least overnight in the freezer before infusing, so these pouches got overnight for 3 weeks!

Yesterday I fired up the oven and pulled out the decarbed pouches. I had weighed out 2g of each except the Auto Pounder which weighed at 1g. Strangely, the decarb’d amounts weighed in at about the same :hmmmm: - I’m going to go with the theory that at small weights, my scales don’t perform very well. What I ended up with was decarb’d weights of 2g of MiG, Blue Dream, and the Kush and 1.5g of Auto Pounder.

I use the basic guide of 1g per oz. of oil for all my medicinal oils. I plan to experiment with that a little bit once I settle on the ones I like. For this batch, the Auto Pounder went into just over an oz. of oil and the rest got 2oz. of oil each.

Decarb’d bud ready to go Extra Virgin Olive Oil ...

Into the oven @100ºC for 8hrs - I use foil in place of the lid and place a very tiny hole in the foil, the size of a pinprick. I believe this is good to keep the pressure even.

Cooked Infused :)

I then added a tiny teaspoon of Liquid Sunflower Lecithin. The usual ratio is 1tblsp of the liquid lecithin per cup of oil and I figured that is about 10% of the liquid volume so that’s what I approximated with the mini teaspoon.

I make sure to add the lecithin while the oil is still warm so it mixes in nicely (I take the liquid lecithin out of the fridge the day before, too, so it’s softer).

Then strain into whatever bottle you like. These, I put straight into the 25ml dispenser bottles. I failed to catch the double-layer of cheesecloth i use to strain it in the photo :eek: Terrible! Above this bottle is a tiny funnel with folded cheesecloth placed inside it (like the way a coffee filter sits in its funnel) to strain out any plant matter.

The samples are now in the fridge and will get 24hrs there before being ready to use.

The liquid lecithin allows the cannbinoid molecules to attach to the EVOO molecules for effective absorbtion into our bodies and this 24hrs in the fridge is when the bulk of this molecular bonding takes place.

There is about the same amount left in all the little Mason pots, they will get stored in the fridge until I need to replenish.

I’ll lay out my basic ‘recipe’ here to summarise. I’ll do it as if i was making cup of oil so the quantities will be clearer. I simply reduced these amounts to do this micro run.

4g decarbed bud
  • dry in sealed pouch for 15mins at 105ºC
  • Decarb in oven for 110mintes at 110ºC
  • place in freezer overnight (this is optional but may do something to help retain terpenes)
4oz (1cup) of EVOO (ideally organic, cold-pressed)
  • Seal with decarb’d bud in Mason jar or similar, use foil in place of the lid and put a tiny pinprick in it.
  • Infuse for 6-8hrs at 100ºC
  • Some folks are seeing stronger infusions by stopping the process half-way though, letting things cool, and then running again.
  • You can also do this step in a Magic Butter Machine but it is minimum 2cups of oil (8oz)
1 tblsp of Liquid Sunflower Lecithin per every cup of oil.
  • You can add this before or after infusion, but prefer after
  • Blend the liquid lecithin in while the oil is still warm.
Strain into final container/bottle or jar and refigerate for 24hrs.

Experiment and enjoy! And if you’re like me, enjoy almost pain-free days and some blessed sleep at nights :love: . I love cannabis.

I dont make capsules. I prefer to dose from the dropper either straight onto food, into a beverage or under my tongue (which works well for me). The best options I’ve found tho’ is when I have coconut milk in the beverage or when i put it straight onto peanut butter! :p
I’ve wanted to do this batch of minis for ages and I’m so happy to get it done :cheer:

I’ve experienced a nice reduction in pain (about40%) just from licking my fingers after straining the MiG29 (Haze) and my usual CBD dose. It was early in the day so I figured that one was worth getting a taste of - the others i simply wiped off my hands cause i didn’t want to muddy things up. I’ve also had no desire to reach for my vape since then so that tells me it’s working well already. It will be even better tomorrow no doubt.

Happy oily weekend to all :Namaste:

Awsome update on the girls ms.Amy and thanks for the info above and to everyone's else who contributed as I'm going to be trying this sometime soon with the early Shiva I chopped down due to botry.....

got me running to check mine

I think once it’s open. I know lecithin granules go rancid at the drop of a hat, so assume ther liquid is better in the fridge. Not sure what it says on the bottle actually.

Archi, i use EVOO becasue this is oil for micro dosing and the advice of my oiling mentor, ms @SweetSue back there, is that EVOO is metabolised in different ways that are more supporting of medicinal effects - and I don’t remember the details about that. Plus the EVOO itself is super beneficial. But there’s something about it that makes it more medicinal and less effective for recreational so i’m told. I plan to use coconut oil for making edibles that are just for fun. Maybe Sue or @InTheShed can elaborate.

That's how Oldbear taught me!

Yes - i picked up the pinprick in foil idea from Oldbear too, he likes to do small runs as well.

The buds may have rehydrated but they felt super dry and crumbly, didn’t feel rehydrated... It’s not so important. I have wondered about those scales at super low weights before though.

Awsome update on the girls ms.Amy and thanks for the info above and to everyone's else who contributed as I'm going to be trying this sometime soon with the early Shiva I chopped down due to botry.....
Hi Smeegol :D Thank you kind sir.

What you’ve quoted there followed by what you wrote, sounds like you’re thinking about using botrytis bud to make dosing oil :hmmmm:

Maybe you meant to quote the post where i linked to Shed’s tutorial on steaming the botrytis off buds to make topical oil with them. That’s really all you want to be doing with it :thumb:

Hi Smeegol :D Thank you kind sir.

What you’ve quoted there followed by what you wrote, sounds like you’re thinking about using botrytis bud to make dosing oil :hmmmm:

Maybe you meant to quote the post where i linked to Shed’s tutorial on steaming the botrytis off buds to make topical oil with them. That’s really all you want to be doing with it :thumb:

hahaha, I'm not quite brave enough to try botrytis buds quite yet ms.Amy......:rofl:
I was referring to the pictorial and oil making post of yours and others that contributed tips n tricks to make it smoother process which you've summed perfectly, as the shiva with botrytis I took down was a bit early, slight racy buzz on the tester I tried so I figured making daytime meds from her....

But thank you for checking up on me....

Sorry to hear about the rot Smeegol

Thanks for the good info everyone. I might have to try a small batch with evoo

Great write up Amy. You have inspired me to try something new to me - I'm going to make some oils with evoo and coconut oils then mix them together.

Double paths for the cannabinoids.

Amy what did you do with the leftover plant material and oil?

4oz (1cup) of EVOO (ideally organic, cold-pressed)
You can also do this step in a Magic Butter Machine but it is minimum 2cups of oil (8oz)
Just wanted to get a clarification here, 4oz is 1/2 a cup, did you use 4oz or 8 for 1 cup?

Also you could add your lecithin to the oil while you are infusing, the hot/cold cycle will help it bind better.

Back
Top Bottom