Noob from England

:3 I've been lurking just basking in all the technogeek talk ( I mean that with the most appreciation) and I've been mulling over some heat issues of my own. But reading Robert's last post on voltage and heat, on a quick read, it gave me the impression of passing by and catching part of a conversation between overclockers.

If you removed the heat and limiter, what would that do to your light? It sounds like it would take a 300w and make it potentially a 1500w? Since my first thought reading the post was "could you fit a heatsink to whatever you need to cool, and connect it to an external radiator?" If you bodged your light like that, would the result be useful or like, pointing a gamagun at your plants?

Sorry for the interruption, I'll go back to making cookies :D

Nice lights Max. Makes me :drool: . When you're talking venting, I'd have a look at amzn and not just as packages. And overestimate your needs.

Hi Faic,

Welcome along. Yes, you're right about overclockers and the quest for ever more speed/power. It is easier to cool CPU's though because the gubbins are embedded in a heat dissipating material. I've been pondering Robert's comments and realised that LED's are surface mount, so you can cool the back with a heat sink but the front would radiate rather than conduct. To achieve the theoretical maximum voltages would require air cooling for the front and something like a water cooled block at the back. The surface area at the front of an LED is small, so you'd have to cool the airflow to below operational minimums to dissipate all that heat. Now I'm wondering if there are inert gasses or fluids with 100% transparency that can be cooled sufficiently.

We're into bleeding edge, law of diminishing returns territory now :)

Ponderingly

Max

... and thanks for the venting comments. I'm considering going up a tent size because Mars have them in stock, but it'd be a tight squeeze and I really only planned doing one or at the most two plants at a time. I'm still trying to find a good variac to reduce the speed of an over-spec fan. I'm thinking of trying the Xpelair WA1, which some people have used to great effect and it's 1/4 the price of a variac. If it works then great.

Did I mention that it's getting cold here in rainy Manchester? I believe my problem will be low temps, not high. I'll have to put a thermostatically controlled radiator in the room to keep ambient up.

Max

Yeah what I was thinking. Basically a heatsink on the back to a radiator, hadn't thought about the front. Woudn't be much of an issue to simply block the front with a lens and have a cooltube sort of arrangement, you'd have how much power to overcome any light transmission issues right? But if you're looking to modestly boost your light's power, if you just had some fans blowing across the surface of the led's, some 2cm fans or however they measure them over there ;3.

I'm seriously considering setting up a waterblock cooling rig for my buckets. I just have to figure out the pump and plumbing and how big to go vs return and ease of access. Which brings me to....

Not sure what a variac is, I just use a digital switch on my fan. I got a pic in my gallery of my fan and scrubber.

I hear you. I started wanting to grow a couple plants at a time. Now I'm taking care of two in flower in scrogs (gonna post a bit on that soon), three mothers, and 8 clones running around. I've expanded out of my original grow box, redone my cabinet twice, put up another makeshift cabinet, and am in the process of figuring out how to build it all out to be usable. And I'm on my third grow in six months.

Moral of the story: Growing is addictive. :laughtwo: Plan for, or leave a margin if you're the type that likes to keep doing fun things.

And I've had it easy in the whole remodeling and plant expansion because I doubled my vent needs. But a fan and scrubber on amazon was like um. 130~ for a 6inch 440-cfm and a 18" scrubber. Once I get the construction finished, I 'should' be able to keep with the same kit, and just turn the knob to full (it's running 60% for noise/power).

Hi Faic,

Don't forget cool tube lenses reduce the light output by a significant percentage. I suspect you wouldn't get enough cool tube cooling effect to overcome the loss from the lens.

By the time you've done all that it would have been cheaper to get an extra LED module then it would to over drive then cool an existing one.

Just my thoughts.

Max

I just meant the principle, it's easier than typing ducted shroud. ;) I'm curious if it'd be useful, or if it'd just be a grown-up's ez-bake oven.

Morning Max :)

I see you guys having fun thinking about how to "over clock" LEDs LOL

Max is spot on with his comparison of CPUs vs LEDs and cooling :) Its the junction temperature in a LED that dictates how hard you can drive them, if you could somehow freeze the junction, then you could reach the theoretical maximum, but there is no practical way of doing so LOL

And Faic, they do make liquid radiator type heatsinks which would allow you to drive your LEDs at higher wattages, but I wouldn't recommend trying to drive them beyond the maximum rated amperage. We just don't have the technology yet LOL

RC

Having found out that the RH% and temp device I ordered will be delayed for 6 weeks, I decided to get the Raspberry Pi out and make my own.

I had a DHT22 module lying around so built a circuit..

Circuit_Pi_RHT.JPG

Then connected it to the Pi
Result_RHT.png

This module is accurate to 0.5 degrees and + or - 2% RH

I think it'll do :)

Max

Yeah guys,

over driving is a theoretical thing. It's possible to a point but Mars under drive to extend the life, even with aluminium heat sinks and a few big fans. I think if they could reliably drive at full rated power or even exceed it they would have done. It's a very interesting exercise to think about how it could be done though.

Max

The tent has arrived! With that in mind I've put 2 Painkiller XL seeds to germinate in a tub. They are sandwiched between 2 pieces of warm damp tissue and the tub placed on a heated floor (one of my bathrooms has underfloor heating that is on 24/7).

I'll start a journal tomorrow when I've got the tent set up, but for my records the seeds were put to germinate at 21:00 on Friday 18th December 2015.

Happy daze

Max

And we're off. If I've done this right there should be a link to my journal below..

You can kill this part of the URL, #post272852 as you don't really need to direct them to a specific post, but it works regardless.

Back
Top Bottom