NotaDrinker - Blue Domino - Feminized Seed & Scrog

Re: NotaDrinker - Blue Domino - Feminized Seed n Scrog

The flowers are blooming! There is now noticeable action going on over here.
I will wait a few more days for pics because I want the difference between pistils and sacs to be noticeable, but I believe it is working again.
I was told that the breeder had issues trying to breed this strain and that he never succeeded. I will be happy to send him a few pure feminized seeds to play with if this works out.
Maybe another week, but pics are coming. ;)

Ok. I do not have sacs showing yet, but I do have what it looks like just before
sacs begin developing. So I will show a few pics at where I am this moment.
Sorry for the horrible lighting...

Here is a top shot of the scrog.

Full_Screen_18_Days_Flower.JPG

Here is a shot of a normal flowering female top.

Not_CS_Treated.JPG

And here is a shot of one of the four CS treated tops.

CS_Treated_20_Days.JPG

It is clear that this top looks very different that the normal flowering top. There are no hairs
and the new growth is kinda "plump", for lack of a better description.

Everything is healthy and going as expected. I believe both the
boiled/concentrated, golden solution is having the same effect as the
one that was not boiled and was greyish. They were both about the same
ppm on the meter, and both had good tyndall effect showing good silver
content. And they are both being sprayed, but one is a finer mist than the
other.

That's it for now. 2 weeks and there will be a big difference.

Best Wishes ;)

Ryan.

I had the worst dream last night. Nanners every where. Big long yellow bananas all over LOL.
But in reality, everything is looking perfect. The CS treated tops look exactly like they did last time and I expect full blown sacs in the next week. CS treatment is almost complete. I think I will stop CS this weekend. Pics in a week or so.

Best Wishes ;)

CS treatment has been completed and stopped. Monday night was the last treatment. A total of 23 days of CS application.
Both solutions appear to have had the same effect indicating that the CS does not really have to be perfect. I will know for sure in a week or two when sacs begin to produce pollen. Pics to come this weekend.

Ok, forget this weekend. I'm posting pics now. ;)

As I said, CS treatment is finished and both solutions seemed to have worked.
Everything looks the same as last time and I expect that everything is just as it should be.

Here is a pic of my full screen almost 4 weeks into flower.

Full_Screen_in_Flower.JPG

Here is a pic of the even canopy under the lights.

Even_Canopy.JPG

Here is what the normal flowering tops are looking like.

Normal_2.JPG
Normal_11.JPG

And here is what the CS treated tops are looking like.

CS_2.JPG
CS_1.JPG

And here is a pic showing the frosting beginning to happen. mmmmmmm.

Getting_Frosty.JPG

In about a week or so, the pollen sacs will be very defined. They should have viable pollen
in about two weeks. My first grow I flowered this strain for about ten weeks and ended up wishing
I had let it go another week or two. So this flower will be somewhere between ten to twelve weeks.
Perfect for selfing. No matter either way, the plants will live until the seeds are done.
Harvestable smokie comes second again this time around. But next grow is for the smoke I think.

I will update again when the pollen sacs are well defined and about ready to begin releasing pollen.
I will hand pollinate again using only the ripest pollen sacs and see if I can replicate my first CS
seed grow as well as Granny has done hers.

I will get the hang of taking pics soon. Sorry.

Best Wishes.

Now things are looking good.

Something to note about the CS. I tested both batches on opposite sides of the box. One top each near the air inlet side, and one top each near the exhaust fan. The two near the air inlet holes look exactly as I expected. Sacs are everywhere and no pistils are present. But on the two near the exhaust fan, hairs have formed as well as sacs.
It's interesting that the position of the tops had the same effect on each batch of CS. Had I only used CS near the exhaust fan, I would have assumed that there was a issue with the CS and never considered the idea that the location inside the box played a role. I am assuming that near the exhaust fan was turbulent and either hotter or colder than near the inlet holes. I can't see any other differences in the way they were treated. Interesting none the less...

Here are the two near the inlet holes that are as expected.

CS_11.JPG

CS_21.JPG

Here are the two that were near the exhaust have hairs also.

CS_3.JPG

CS_4.JPG

Here is a pic of normal flowering tops.

No_CS.JPG

Also, I was down there wondering about trimming my scrog.
I have heard every side and I have seen every side. I have come to the conclusion that the only real way to know for sure what works for me is to try it and find out.
I have two plants in scrog so I decided to do a decent trim of fan leaves on one of them (the one with the hairs on the CS treated tops). Now I will have one trimmed and one not and I will be able to judge for myself. I trimmed no branches, but took a fair amount of leaves. Pretty much anything bigger than a playing card. Nothing with any trics on it.
Here is a pic of after. I feel like I took a lot, but there is still a lot there, so I think it will be good...

Right_Trimmed.JPG

Note. The location inside the box has had no noticable effect on any of the normal flowering tops. Only the CS treated ones...

Here is a pic of one of the trimmed tops that was treated with CS. What do you think... Did I take too much? I feel like I should of done that two weeks ago...

Size_Refference_Trimmed_Top.JPG

Well that's it for now... Any comments would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes.

Pollination has begun. There are red hairs all over now. I will allow the pollen to flow until the next watering (friday night). Then I will remove the pollen sacs from the grow area. I am hoping that this will ensure a more evenly matured batch of seeds and less to none immature seeds. If this works as hoped, it will tell me that the reason I had a fair amount of immature seeds last time was because of continued pollination rather than because of anything else. And because I really don't need 10,000 seeds... I am sure 1000 or so will do just fine lol.
I will also take some pics at that point.
So, both batches of CS worked as expected showing that for this purpose, the CS is easy to make and use. Simple in fact. Any idiot can do this. Seriously.

Looks like it worked again.

I'll know more on friday.

Best Wishes.

Glad to see this is working again for you. It would be nice to hook up the original grower of the strain for sure.....

It is fully my intention to donate a nice batch of seeds to the original breeder. He said he was never able to cross breed this strain for some reason, so I am sure he will be appreciative. I had already given him some of the FI seeds and he says they are growing very nicely.

Thanks for posting OG13. I was thinking that this thread was a desert and was thinking of closing up shop, but I guess I will stick it out.
Best Wishes.

40 Days of flower and pollination is obvious. I cut off all 4 CS treated tops. I took the best two and shook them over every top in the screen just to be sure to get everything pollinated. I expect to see tonight a lot more red crispy hairs. Before it was say about 15-20 %, now it should be 60-75%. And that is it. I am set. It is a simple flower to the finish. And by finish, I mean when the seeds are finished.

Best Wishes.

I made a little modification to my screen. I added some supports above the screen and used them to hold up the tops in perfect evenness close to the light. It has been 6 days since pollination. It will be another week or two before I can expect signs of seeds. So I will not know for sure until I see the beginnings of seeds. I have this horrible feeling that I did not wait long enough for the pollen to be ready, ala Granny, but I have examined pics from the last run and the hairs look pretty much the same. I have my fingers crossed.

Here are some pics. All tops are about 1 inch below the lights. I think it turned out well.

100_4842.JPG

100_48501.JPG

100_48531.JPG

100_48561.JPG

100_48591.JPG

In total, another 5-6 weeks to go is what I am expecting.
I will be back with more hopefully when seeds are obviously developing.

Best Wishes.

Looking good there NotA, have you done any defoliation? Can't tell what your light penetration is like.

Mmm. I am really a tucker, not a cutter. That being said, I did remove a fair number of leaves from one of the plants and left the other alone so that I could judge for myself whether or not it was beneficial. However, this was at about week 5 of flower and was not something I was exactly comfortable with. It did stunt growth but all seems well now. I do though have lots of air movement and a dehumidifier inside the box as well as fans blowing under the canopy moving any stale air that may be down there.
I am using flouro tubes though, so penetration is indeed shallow. Only those tops sitting an inch from the lights will grow the best, but you don't need the best light for producing seed, and I really don't mind the extra hash material... ;)

Thanks for stopping in m8, very much appreciated.

Best Wishes.

The CS worked exactly as expected, but I think I pulled the sacs too early.
I have not yet seen any signs of seeds except for the brownish hairs.
I cut a top to taste test when I was out of smokie and I did not see any seeds.
I was told by the breeder that he was unable to further breed this strain, that he could not get it seeded. So maybe I didn't pull the sacs too early. Maybe it just isn't going to work with this strain. I will know for sure next time I grow this strain. There will be a 2 or 3 week delay in flowering the plant I want to seed, and the CS treated plant will be way ahead. Then I will know for sure that I have viable pollen.
I am hoping that somewhere in there are some seeds developing, but I am not holding my breath... I will see in a few weeks when I do another test.
But they look great. If there is no seeds, then I am down to only a few more weeks of flower.
I will grow from the seeds I made last time, next time. So I am excited.
It will be a LST + Top grow, and I am hoping to get 4 plants in the box like that. No screen, but I will stake them up.
We'll see in a few weeks.

Best Wishes.

Bad news, I am 99% sure there will be no seeds. Either I pulled the sacs too early or this strain did not want to give me seeds.
Good news, 8 of the seeds from last time have been planted and 6 are above ground thus far.
I am not going to document this grow as it is basic and has been done a million times.
Just wanted to stop in any say bye.

Best Wishes.

I type strange things when I am stoned lol.
Yeah, no seeds and the smoke was bad too. Harsh and kept going out. I don't think I flushed well enough, and the ferts in the soil were probably not used up yet, so flushing only made it worse. Also the drying occurred directly in the air flow path of the dehumidifier, on high. I think more of a passive drying method will be used in the future. Maybe drying too fast had something to do with it also.
The 8 seeds I planted all sprouted and are female. Perfectly feminized seeds. Anyone can make their own, I have proved that it is very simple. 3 are already harvested and 5 are still flowering. 2 weeks veg for the 3 and 5 weeks veg for the other 5. I wanted to get an idea of how much veg I wanted to do for my 18 plant mini sog. 20 out of 22 seeds sprouted and 18 of them are strong and healthy. 4 didn't make it. Not too bad for a rookie I think. Looks like 3 weeks veg, and topped at the 3rd node with the removal of the first node (not the leafs) will give me 4 nice shoots to lolipop. As long as this is all done before the 2nd week of flower, I think I should be able to get a few grams per plant. I would be extremely happy if I got 5 grams per plant or more. They are in small 5 inch pots and MG Organic potting mix with a low NPK count. 25% perlite. They are 1 week from sprout and will get 5ml per liter of 10-52-10 tonight. Second set of leafs are showing. Small pots means it's all about the water and feed. But I spend time down there every night, so I welcome the increased watering.
I think this will be my last grow of the season, and will return in the spring with a 400w HPS. I believe this will be the answer.
Again, best wishes to all.

Nice grow bud!
Too bad about those seeds but itll keep blue dom a local legendary strain for us too enjoy. I always wanted to find a blue dom cutting but they seem few and far between. Its definetly one of those strains is highly saught after around here.

;) Thanks man. I have a redo planned. Blue Dom is available to me every spring ;) This time I will flower the ones to be CS treated 2 weeks earlier than the ones to be pollinated. I just need to know for sure that it was the strain and not the technic used. I really enjoyed the smoke the first time I grew it, so I think it is worth one more shot.
But before I get to that, I currently have my 14 plant SOG at 5 weeks into flower. Looking pretty good. I am not sure if I should go to 8 or 9 weeks, we'll see how it's looking in 2 weeks. These plants are in small 5 inch pots and are perfectly suited to my current environment. They are about 12 to 14 inches tall. I think I found the winning setup. Next time I go 20 and I think I am set.
But before I get to that... LOL. I have 2 plants that I want seeded. I have tried clones and the truth is I suck. Every single clone I have ever made has taken FOREVER to grow at all. I flowered a 2 inch clone that gave me a 1 gram but in the past, but it took forever.
I have 7 clones in flower, that got 2 weeks veg to root and have been in flower (4 of which are being treated with CS) for a week. But they are all seemingly in stasis. The are alive, but if I can easily provide myself with an unlimited supply of feminized seeds, that I will simply forget about cloning. The seeds always grow so much better anyways ;)
But with these clones taking so long and me wanting to seed asap, I came up with an idea that I think will work well.
These 2 plants are on a 16/8 light cycle. On at 7pm, off at 11am. If I treat 1 limb of each plant with CS and be sure to have that limb covered with a cardboard box between 7am and 11am. That would send these limbs into flower 2 weeks earlier that the rest of the plant giving me the time I need to develop pollen sacs before the rest of the plant flowers.
I am going to begin this experiment tonight and I will snap a few pics of everything else.
I hope this works because it would be perfect. We'll see.
I also want to note, that other that the single pollen sac and 4 nanners I removed from that one plant, there have been no signs of hermi anywhere. 22 seeds sprouted, 100% female so far. Let's hope that carries on to the next batch.
Best Wishes.

Just incase anyone was interested. I had those two plants in veg and was controlling the light on a single branch of each to put those branches into flower prior to the rest of the plant. I was also using CS on those two branches. Seems that those two branches did not flower early. Maybe with more time,,, maybe not. But my clones are ready, growing and showing signs of sacs from the CS treatment.
The whole plants are now in flower with the clones by their side. pollination should occur in about 3 weeks. I will dis-continue the CS treatment on those two branches so I can learn whether 2 weeks of CS prior to flower is enough to make the plant show male traits.
(There is silver all over the branches, so there is still silver being absorbed by the plant) or if one must continue the CS treatment until signs of flower to get the results we want..

Best Wishes to all.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom