NotaDrinker - Blue Domino - Feminized Seed & Scrog

Re: NotaDrinker - Blue Domino - Feminized Seed n Scrog

So I have done some further research, and it has become clear to me that I am not even sure what I am talking about...

I want to link a FAQ this site about CS. Very informative and easy to understand.

Making Colloidal Silver

It seems that the ppm of silver 'particles' in CS can not even be measured with my TDS meter, as they are not dissolved in the water. They are suspended.
I can however read the ppm of the silver 'ions' in the CS, and they apparently make up a large majority of the content of what we call CS.

I think I will simply test to see what works and try to forget about the science behind it. If it works, I am happy.

I have started batch 2. 5v, 2amp, 500ml water.
I think the higher amps will make CS faster, but will make larger particles as a result.
Meaning the CS will turn color at a lower ppm cause of the larger particles. But that is just a guess. We will see.

Next batch I will make with the 6v 4R25 battery I have. I have a feeling on that one.
Low voltage, low amperage. Longer cooking time, but smaller particles I think. Higher ppm before color change I think. We will see on that one too.

When I am all done I will take my findings over to Granny's thread to be compiled with the rest of it ;).

Best Wishes.

Edit: 5v adapter was defective. 2 hours and nothing, 0ppm.
I have begun with the battery, 15 mins and you can see it working.

Edit 2: Something is not working anymore. It has been over 2 hours and nothing with the battery yet. There must be a connection problem. I took the wires out and put them back in, checked everything and reconnected the battery. I will know in an hour or so. I think the little plug that I put my silver wire into may no longer be good. Maybe I pushed the wire too far in or something.
If I get nothing with the battery when I check after dinner, then I will have to connect the plug wires to the silver wires directly and try like that.

I will go back to the 5v, 2A adapter if the connector proves faulty on this battery test.

Edit 3: OMFG Edits. Seems I fixed the connection issue. The battery is making CS now. I will revert to the 5v 2A next test.

CS with battery. Let it sit overnight. Now at 6ppm. Cleaned and stirred and will let go longer. Very slow process though with a 6v battery. If I can get it to 15-16ppm like I got the other batch, then it will be interesting to see if the color is the same as the first batch before and after condensing. I'll give it 24 more hours if I need to, but the process should speed up a bit as the ppm rises.

Edit: teSmp, I get what your saying... It would indeed be nice to not have to deal with the main stem in the beginning. To not have to deal with the first large fan leaves would be nice too. It is too late now for me this time, and I don't know if I can get enough room to make it really possible in this box. I can get another 1.5 inches between the screens and the pots by changing the base slightly, but I think that is about it. Not a lot of room unless I do it right from the beginning and to basically pot top level. Maybe LST around the pot scrogging all the shoots. That actually sounds very interesting... Definitely get what your saying. Thanks man ;)

For now, I am simply tying the main stalk and branches to the top of the screen. I will tuck all fan leafs down under the screen, and tie all branches and tops on top. It's just, making the initial bend while the main stalk is already at height is tricky. Do-able for sure, but tricky. I have not snapped anything yet though so fingers crossed. I am really enjoying scrogging so far. So often I go down there and all I can do is look cause there is nothing I can do between waterings. But now, there is always a leaf to tuck or a shoot to tie. ;)

Ok. 40 hours after beginning with the 6v battery and I have reached 16ppm. The color is just beginning to turn, just like the other batch. I am boiling it now and expect it to turn reddish golden also.
I got myself a laser to observer the Tyndall effect, and it works well.

I will begin batch 3 with a 5 volt 2 amp adapter.
we will see if it is the volts or amps which makes it faster, and note if there is a color at 16ppm.
Should give a good idea about whether more amps results in faster production (same color at 16 ppm), or if it means larger particles (change color at lower ppm).

I am beginning to think that as long as runaway does not occur thereby enlarging particles, the adapter may not matter at all as far as ppm and color. Just the time it takes to get to that point.
Seeing as this batch turned out the same as the first, I will mix the two together.

I will update on batch 5 sometime probably today.

Edit: It would seem that the temp of the solution plays tricks on my TDS meter. Now, my golden colored solution reads at 16ppm again. It was 16ppm before I boiled half of it away, it was 32 when I tested it after it had cooled after boiling. Now, at room temp, it is 16ppm again. The color is still golden.
But then again, it is in fact the ions my ppm meter reads and not the particles themselves. There is a solid red line when I shine the laser.

I tested the second batch while it was still pretty warm. Last was 56, down from 75 a min or two earlier. So as it cools, the ppm of the ions drop. Possible because they are turning into particles, I just don't know. I did read that they can indeed turn, and maybe heat was the factor, I will have to look for that info again. But this batch also has a solid red line from the laser, indicating high silver particle content.

Batch 2 is not as golden as batch 1 though. It is the slightly grayish, very light golden. Maybe I could have achieved that reddish golden with a few more mins of boil, or maybe the batch 2 has smaller less colorful particles. Not sure.

Good news is that I will test each batch on a different site when the time comes. That way we can find out if any of it even matters.

When I made and used it last time, I got it to about 22ppm and it was slightly grayish. I did not boil it, nor do I remember exactly what adapter I used or how long it took. I do know that I had to stir and filter several times to reach that ppm and keep my electrodes clean. The wire has such little surface area. I need bigger electrodes ;)

I have been having some difficulty with my CS making procedure. I think it is a faulty power bar, or a faulty adapter. I could not get the 5v 2A adapter to work so I hooked up a 10v 1A adapter. It was working so I shut it off, cleaned the silver and stirred the solution. I did not take note of the space on the power bar used before, but when I turned it back on I could hear a slight noise from this 10v adapter. I left it on to see if it is working.

I'll get some pics tonight too.

Best Wishes.

100_4062.JPG

100_4061.JPG

100_40601.JPG

That is where I am at this moment. Another few weeks of veg and I will flower.
I can really see how topping and prior LST would help deal with scrogging., I just need a couple more inches between the potting mix and the screen. Something to think about when I grwo out those FI's ;).

Best Wishes ;)

Just a question for anyone whom might be watching...
I hate removing leaves unless they are dead or dying and basically fall off in my hand (I'm a tucker), but this is my first scrog and I can see why many people would remove many leaves to better the air flow under the canopy.
I have a lot of leaves under the canopy, but I provide a lot of air circulation and ventilation throughout the whole box. Provided that I keep the humidity down and fresh air flowing, I would assume that the more leaf matter the better the growth. A leaf getting a little light is better than a leaf getting no light (because it is not there anymore) no? Plus those leafs would provide the plant with nutrients as it sees fit, no?
Like I said, I hate cutting off healthy leaves but this is my first scrog. Should I trim it or leave it?

Ok, so a few days ago I trimmed/pruned one of the plants and did not touch the other. I also began using a MG nute for tomatoes at 18-18-21. That's as close to 20-20-20 I could get, and it has all the micro nutrients. I have a 10-30-10 that I use for flowering.

100_40651.JPG

Did I prune too much or does it look ok? It looks ok to me. I removed a bunch of "suckers" as I call them. The small sites that are sucking energy away from other sites.
And I removed a few small branches that both had nowhere to go, and likely wouldn't produce much if it did find a spot.

I have definitely learned a few lessons that will help next time with positioning and manipulation of the shoots. A topping or two, coupled with LST to evenly spread the shoots before going under the screen, would really allow for easy and even manipulation of the shoots during veg.

:love::love::love::love::love:NotADrinker!:love::love::love::love::love:

I found you, honey! Your Scrog is looking great so far! Some plants are just leafier than others! I took some leaves with my winter grow too and never had before - but some strains just needed it!

I am subscribed. :cheer: It felt good to be able to get here in the beginning! Great pics too! I am so tickled you started a journal!!!

LOVE YOU!

:love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love:

Hey NAD,

There's a thread called KISS in another forum, it's all about Maxi Bloom, ther use it all the way in their grows, also I use it right now, its good for hidro, soil, coco, or wherever, it's simple and cheap. Maybe you should check it out, and learn something else if you want of course.

Mojox

I love keeping it simple... I will have a look! Thanks m8.
I will trim the other one soon. I just wanted to watch them to see if there were any negative effects after the trimming. Everything seems fine so I am going to do the other one in the following days.
I do not know if I will hit my .5g per watt this time. A topping or two plus some LST and 3 plants is what I will need to max out my harvest from this screen.
The FI seeds I have are going to be the real test for this screen.
I am also looking into a small 250 watt hid and considering turning my big box on its side. This would cut me down to 4 plants, but I would gain about 2 feet of height and try for a natural grow. I dunno though, I am not there yet ;).
Granny ;) Thanks for watching! I came to check if there were any reply's to find 20 likes!
LOL Thanks Granny ;) I hope someday I can grow some nice plants like yours ;)

Ok. I will be going 11 on / 13 off sometime this coming weekend.
I have 3 different batches of CS which I will be testing. I will note
their properties when I do it. I will begin using the CS 3 days prior
to the switch. My hope is that all 3 batches give viable pollen. One
batch is black and must have been contaminated somehow.
Well see.

Everything is going well, screens are about 70% full. Pics to come
with next update.

Best wishes.

Alright. I have just begun treatment of CS.
I am testing 3 different batches on 6 different areas of the plants and I am also using a dropper for one batch to see if the plant responds the same way as with the spray.
The leaves do not like the CS, so I would like to see if using a dropper instead of spray would work. I am not sure if it will,,, but I think so.

Here are the 3 batches of CS.

CS.JPG

Batch 1 reads 38ppm, was boiled to condense, and is applied with spray.

CS-B1.JPG

Batch 2 reads 21ppm, was boiled to condense, and is applied by dropper. I do not know why the ppm is much lower with this batch. It was made the same way. Maybe I heated it more, I am not sure. I think the gold color indicates that the size of the particles is larger, so they probably began clumping together reducing numbers and increasing size.

CS-B2.JPG

Batch 3 reads 38ppm, was seemingly contaminated causing it to turn very dark, and is applied by spray. I don't know what happened, maybe I put the electrodes down on the dirty rolling table while filtering and stirring or something, but I thought it would be interesting to keep it and test it too.

CS-B3.JPG

Now keep in mind, the ppm meter does not actually measure the ppm of the colloidal silver... It is measuring the ppm of the ionic silver... The Tyndall Effect is the only real way of cheaply indicating the presence of colloidal silver in the solution. However, the ppm of the colloidal silver seemingly rises with the ppm of the ionic silver until a point when something begins to join together in larger particles. I think...

And here are the plants as they are today in the screen.

Side_View5.JPG

Top_View11.JPG

They are looking OK if I do say so myself.

I will still need to modify the bottom of my box for flower. This will give me an extra 3-4 inches which I am sure I will need.

I am hoping that all 3 batches with both methods of application all work. I would really like to know for sure that the CS I make in the future will for sure work as intended, and I would really like to use the dropper instead of the spray bottle to apply it. It would be cleaner, easier, much less wasteful of the CS, much easier on the leaves, and more concentrated on the area of the developing sacs.
During my first CS treatment in my second grow, I found myself concentrating the spray of CS on the developing sacs, so I see no reason why a dropper would not work as intended.

So the experiment has begun. The next 2 weeks or so will be pretty uneventful except for the application of the CS. But once the sacs and pistils begin to develop, I will take pics from start to finish.

I can't wait for this grow to be successful and over. This is my second CS for seed run since my very first grow which was for smokie. Although I will get a few little bags of smokie from this grow, I can not wait to grow the feminized FI seeds I made last run. My buddy says they are fantastic.!
That one is all for smokie, so it will be the first time I used larger pots and proper nutes like all you guys/gals are using. That one will be a top+lst+scrog with 3 plants from seed, so I think it will be very good.
Like I said, I can't wait. ;)

Anyways, thanks for stoppin in and I'll update again in a week or two when there is activity.

Best Wishes.

AAAAWWWWWWWW,

Hell yeah NaD, I'll be here for any drop of knowledge from your experiments, something is wrong with my CS gen, even when I filter my CS again and again, thru paper filter, Stainless steel 400microns mesh and there's some black dust on it, so I though that I could rise the ppm of my CS but it wont, it still at 22ppm, I'm searching for other CS gen, in my house, and then I'll make more CS and try to rise it's ppm. BTW my old CS is yellow like morning pee, it doesn't darken any more even if I run my CSgen on it again.

Mojox

That is because your CS gen has voltage limiters which keep the ppm small I believe...
Paper coffee filter is about 20 microns or so I think, so it should get the "soot" out...
Just remember what I said,,,. The ppm read by our TDS meters is not colloidal silver, it is ionic silver. The colloidal silver is not dissolved, it is suspended. Use a laser to confirm the presence/strength of colloidal silver.
My batch 1 looks very much like my first batch last run which worked, so I am hopeful.
As far as the generator goes,,, the amp/volt seems to play a role in the time to make it only,,, until it begins to run away that is... So any adapter should work to produce viable CS. I am sure you have several around your home.. ;)

Best Wishes.

Yeah NaD,

I'll keep in mind that nex time, meanwhile I'm gonna test this batch with my plants when the clones of them show me their sex.

Something keeps bothering me, with the same CSgen I've made several batches with 30-42ppm before in less time than the last one, so I don't know wtf is happening?

Mojox

I think I will have a problem with using the dropper in the beginning of CS treatment. It is a little tricky to make a drop of CS sit where you want it as opposed to just spraying the area.

Tonight will be a light trimming of some tucked leaves, followed by a leveling of the tops. Tomorrow will likely be watering day and the plants will get their first shot of flowering nutrients.
The nutrients I am using are 15-30-15 and have all the necessary micro-nutrients in it. I will begin with a 5ml per 4 liter dosage which is roughly a 30% strength mix. Keep in mind though that I am also using Miracle Grow Pre-fertilized potting mix at 14-14-14, and have been using 18-18-21 tomato nutes at 5ml for the last few watering's in the veg stage. So they are getting an ok amount of nutes, but I expect the pre fert'd mix to run out of nutes in the coming weeks at which point I will be increasing the mix of my flowering nutes.

That's it for now. I will report if they get burnt or something, but that is likely it until sacs and pistils are showing.

Best Wishes.

10 days of CS have gone by, and I am on my 12th day of flower. I have stopped giving CS with the dropper and am now only using two spray methods. No signs of hairs or sacs yet. I did some trimming a few days ago and it looks like the plants were bothered by it a little bit, so no more trimming. Tucking and tying only from here on out. Another week or two and there will be something to see.

See you then ;)
Best Wishes.

Back
Top Bottom