Nutrient assistance please

Hello future friends. You all can call me Vg. I am practicing on some bag seed as this is truly virgin ground for me. I am sure that I am in capable hands.

I started out sprouting in a coco filled jiffy peat pot. I dropped them on 3/21. The weather here has become unseasonably cold and my poor sprouts have paid the price. They came up fast and then grew very slowly. Turns out the peat pots were lowering the temperature down to 60f. I added an incandescent to warm them. They started to grow slowly,turn yellow and started to curl under. I was not feeding them. I was told the cotyledons would feed them and not to give them ferts. Well, now I learned that this is incorrect. I have started to feed them 1/2 teaspoon of grow big per half gallon of distilled water. I have also been feeding them a mix of molasses and epsom salt both at 1/2 teaspoon per half gallon. I feed the ff grow big twice and then I feed the molasses and epsom salt. I have also transferred them over to some solo cups. I put a mix of 50/50 ffof and coco in the bottom and then I top dressed them with more of the mix. I should also mention that they are 6" under a 45 watt full spectrum white led panel. Is this too close? They are perky but not reaching. 72f and 35% humidity. In the last few days they have put on the second set and are starting on the third set of leaves. They are greening up slowly.

Will these nutes work ok? I can follow the schedule for the grow big. I am more wondering about the molasses/epsom. Is this the right amount? Should I be using more or something else all together?

Thank You for trying to make sense of my ramblings. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome VG:ciao:

I'll give some feedback based on my experience. Can't say it's gospel as I'm no expert.

I grow in sunshine mix, not coco but it doesn't have nutes to start with. I would start with 1/4 strength of the FF nutes after about 2 weeks and gradually increase. I use Big Bloom almost all the time, sporadically with Grow Big or Tiger Bloom in the beginning. Haven't used the Grow Big much at all (only in the middle of the grow), but the Tiger Bloom I use with the Big Bloom when in flowering.

I was feeding 3-4ml BB per 500ml water and 2ml TB per 500ml water (during flower). I alternate feeding and watering every other time. Some strains you can probably feed every time but I've had issues in the past with the salts building up and locking out nutes because of a very low Ph. If that happens - a flush is in order. Run 3-6 times the size of your pot thorough her. Measure the run off to know you've got the Ph in a 6 range.

I only feed when those cheap moisture meters show my root area is low med / dry.

As for molasses, I only add that when 3-4 weeks into flowering. The sugars help - not sure the technical reason. When I do use the molasses, its a tablespoon/500ml water.

For the light - if your hand underneath it doesn't feel the heat, you're probably fine.

Good luck and share some photos!

:passitleft:

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the molasses to feed the fungus in the ffof as well as for the iron and calcium. I've been using this plus the Epsom as a source of cal-mag.

The light puts off no heat. It is 1/4 inch thick flat panel. 7000k. I think I just need to fiddle around with it to find the sweet spot. Hopefully I will be putting them under the little Growant I just picked up.

I will try to pick up some big bloom. They carry it at fleet farm (home improvement store) of all places. I had hoped to just do the grow big and tiger bloom though. Thanks for the suggestions. I still need a ph pen and ec meter. I do have a ph tester for my aquarium it is pretty accurate.

Will fox farms kill off my micro herd? Is ffof supposed to be used with their trio of ferts? Or do they have a fully organic line?

Maybe I should look into the organic side more. Living soil sounds intriguing. Compost tea sounds odorous. Hmmmm....

Now I have discovered hempy buckets. Maybe next time.

So many options. Thanks y'all.

Back
Top Bottom