Ok week 5 - Flower leaves - Brown spots

"So are you seeing the fluctuation when you add nutes to and existing pot or is it when you flush them they jump based on what you add?"

I notice that in Flower I transpire a lot of water and it seems to affect the nutes and ph of the remaining water. So i make my 5 gallon pot of water to top it off with .. I run the ph high and nutes low because the affects of the transpiration dictate these levels. Common sense would say my nutes are too high PPM or it would stay same and take all the nutes with the water. But I am guessing at that.

Both to be honest and in regards to nutrients I'm not the best if you ask me. I burnt the crap outta mine heaps and when I don't know what to do I suck up the costs and just replace the res with a fresh load.
One thing I noticed using AN but I've only ever used AN so this might be a thing but mixing really really well before each additive seems to produce a more stable feed. But I now don't stir as I would normally I pour from one container to another that way the solution is 100% mixed in well. I would still stick to adding in one at a time though. They can't be in contact with each other in pure form.

Most nutes cant contact each other or they would come premixed. Just do them one step at a time... I measure out my micro .. add to the 5 gallon pail of fresh water...stir it with an arrow shaft and start measuring the next nute. For me it is micro,bloom,cal/mag, bud candy. then I check and adjust PH

I haven't noticed any order but I think sticking to adding in Micro first then Grow then Bloom is better then other ways. Then I just follow the Chart. So if you're only adding in the vits and voodoo the chart shows Voodoo being first at the top so I would add it in first.

Not sure why but I do think you are right I think micro is suppose to go first for some reason.. I think I did read that somewhere..

The thing I am doing wrong is I'm trying to use every single additive in the world and this is my problem. It's too much for me too early I've come to accept that in the past few days and hence this grow I am going easy on them but still adding everything in the whole line up. My next grow I am just going to use a few things at different stages. I really like the Voodoo because I can see big roots (not sure if I would have gotten them before but either way I don't mind using it) I also like the tarantula and parahna stuff because it puts in stuff that would be found in soils anyways those three I am sticking with but haven't made up my mind about the rest.

This is the reason I went with the Lucas formula.. I add micro and bloom from day one no need to figure out what and when.. just the amount.. It helps balance the PH and makes it easy to correct. I will try other stuff later.. like I decidied on the bud candy. and was forced to do the cal/mag.

"I have never done a peroxide treatment.."

You should try it because there can only be benefits if done correctly. In my opinion wasting time is the worst crime so I'd rather just purchase the correct hydro-peroxide (not ones used for fish or other stuff but go to a hydro store and get what they sell) and mix in some as a preventative. But remember that you don't want to be using stuff like voodoo in that res because the peroxide kills everything.
But as a preventative it's great especially if you know you have high res temps.

Totally agree. I should have been and should in the future.. I didnt really know about it to be honest at first and now I just want to get through this one..

What I do is the day I switch from veg to flower I run a few batches of nothing but fresh water through the system. Batch one about 4ml of hydro peroxide per gallon. Run for 5 mins. Dump. batch two 2mls for 5. Then the last batch is fresh water.
I like to think keeping a clean system helps and it doesn't take long and its a good time to do it. The system has had water in it for lets say 3-7 weeks and wouldn't you think it would need a clean?

Ok sounds like overkill to me but if you are ok doing it.. I simply run fresh non PH'd water in the system for a few minutes after I drained the old stuff... Then drain again and refill it. I can't check roots with my current set up... And yes I agree over clean is better than under...

At the moment I have my res at roughly 12 gallons and the nutrients reader says its at 2400PPM. (way too much for my liken)
Once the lights turn on I will top up with just RO water (I am going to add cal/mag only because the RO process rips that stuff out so I need to put it back in I often wonder about the iron and zinc but from reading it should be already in the nutrients) and I expect the PPM reading to go down. But this is the bit I don't get, in a while the water level will drop down again and the reading will be most likely higher then 2400. I don't understand what's going on hence now I'm reading into osmossis and reading as many threads here.

Ok so 2400 ppm to me unless advanced has a diff max intake is way high... I was told with Lucas nothing above 1600 and my strain didn't like above 1250 or so. I don't have the experience out side of the general hydro product and Lucas formula.. but I think that PPM is PPM. And if cannibus doesn't like it high I would think it wouldn't matter what nute.. it would burn. I would definitely check the forum and see what people are running for PPM using advanced. A lot of people use them here.... Nice thread thanks for being involved....

Just thoughts on some of this.. I am a rookie don't forget ;)
:peace:

If you have too high PPM make a 5 gallon Pail of PH'd only water. Pull 1 liter or a measured amount out the high PPM res and replace it with PH'd only no nute water. Additives like cal/mag and Bud Candy I still add in.
I had a hot batch last week and took a huge amount maybe 2 gallons and replaced it. I not only made it hot. I intended to be backing off so it was really off.

No need to make a fresh batch with all the nutes and start over again.

I rarely go over 1200ppm with AN nutes. Afhani Kusk liked 1500+ tho in late veg/stretch. Don't know about other nutes as I only use AN.

Why bother pHing water then adding nutes and pHing again. Mix everything up and then pH. Use pH Perfect AN nutes and toss your pH pen. Won't need it. If adding just water to top up the nutes just add it, let sit for an hour then test pH. It always takes a bit of time before it stabilizes even when just putting water in.

Larger volumes per plant give larger margin of error. Forget to top up one day with a big plant in a pail and it can be dead by morning. get 2 or 3 days grace with a tub.

Take notes every time you do stuff with your plants. After a while you see patterns and can really save time, effort and stress by working with those patterns. Too freakin much stress over pH. Let it swing a bit. 5.2 - 6.7 and nothing horrible will happen. Again, pH Perfect will get rid of all that.

Rant over. Please resume previous activities. :)

L8r

Bad luck about the mites, I posted some stuff about Hydroshield and other stuff in your grow journal (I know it isn't going to help with mites but with other stuff it will).

You rarely go over 1200? LOL I'm hardly ever under 1200.... :( it's terrible i know. My babies in flower at the moment have been at 2600-2200 for the whole week :(

At first I tried to keep the PH at a perfect level but then I worked out it's easier and there is no harm in letting it swing.
If I use tap water my PH after nutrients is higher then if I use RO water I noticed that.

Can i ask you a questio Mr Oldmeduser? When you start adding in the flowering additives do you notice the PH gets higher. With veg nutrients 3 part base and maybe voodoo and b52 my PH is always around 5.8-6.5
When I switch to flowering mutrients I noticed the PH sometimes is hangs around 6.8-7+. I understand PH perfect should be fine but it still worries me to go against all that other advice (keeping it lower).

Be patient, I'm new here. I had that issue from not flushing throughout the grow when I first started. Do you regularly do a flush throughout the grow?

Be patient, I'm new here. I had that issue from not flushing throughout the grow when I first started. Do you regularly do a flush throughout the grow?
Welcome stomps!

Yes in dwc i do it every 1-2 weeks. Some people do extreme grow testing with out.. but that stuff is for later...

every 1-2 weeks fresh nutes and flush some water through system before refilling. the plant will pull nutes from water but may not take all of it just what it needs. If you keep adding then other stuff it uses less will spike . Your reading will show nutes in there but the plant will starve for what it needs. fresh will start the baseline over....
hope that wasn't too confusing...
Short answer
yes every 1-2 weeks

I rarely go over 1200ppm with AN nutes. Afhani Kusk liked 1500+ tho in late veg/stretch. Don't know about other nutes as I only use AN.

Why bother pHing water then adding nutes and pHing again. Mix everything up and then pH. Use pH Perfect AN nutes and toss your pH pen. Won't need it. If adding just water to top up the nutes just add it, let sit for an hour then test pH. It always takes a bit of time before it stabilizes even when just putting water in.

Larger volumes per plant give larger margin of error. Forget to top up one day with a big plant in a pail and it can be dead by morning. get 2 or 3 days grace with a tub.

Take notes every time you do stuff with your plants. After a while you see patterns and can really save time, effort and stress by working with those patterns. Too freakin much stress over pH. Let it swing a bit. 5.2 - 6.7 and nothing horrible will happen. Again, pH Perfect will get rid of all that.

Rant over. Please resume previous activities. :)

L8r

Love when you post OMU ;)

Good stuff right there yes sir!

Advanced was my second choice for nutes... General Hydro stuff was cheaper ... i use Bud Candy so I like AN stuff. Yah I don't ph and re ph... I do 5 gallon buckets.. add one nute stir next nute stir... ph last... then in she goes... GH stuff seems to be PH ready or close too.... I start at PH 9.0 and 45 ppm from tap.... usually no ph adjust needed ... it drops to 6.2 from the nutes and I add maybe 1 ml down to hit 5.8-5.9 or so. 6.2 would be fine...

Rant? More like a lesson... And a good one! The best part OMU was everything you said I kind of knew...Made me feel good about myself ;) I am and old dog learning new tricks... BARK BARK!
Have a good rest bro... see you tonight...

Bad luck about the mites, I posted some stuff about Hydroshield and other stuff in your grow journal (I know it isn't going to help with mites but with other stuff it will).

You rarely go over 1200? LOL I'm hardly ever under 1200.... :( it's terrible i know. My babies in flower at the moment have been at 2600-2200 for the whole week :(

At first I tried to keep the PH at a perfect level but then I worked out it's easier and there is no harm in letting it swing.
If I use tap water my PH after nutrients is higher then if I use RO water I noticed that.

Can i ask you a questio Mr Oldmeduser? When you start adding in the flowering additives do you notice the PH gets higher. With veg nutrients 3 part base and maybe voodoo and b52 my PH is always around 5.8-6.5
When I switch to flowering mutrients I noticed the PH sometimes is hangs around 6.8-7+. I understand PH perfect should be fine but it still worries me to go against all that other advice (keeping it lower).

Honestly ruddie I couldn't tell you what happens to the pH when I add the flowering nutes. It's been over a year since I switched to the pH Perfect stuff. When I was using the older 3-part AN I would find the pH had risen to 6.2 - 6.3 and I would add a small amount of nutes to bring my nutes up close to my target then pH down to 5.4 or a bit lower. In 3 days when I topped up and checked it would be back up a little over 6 again. It was so regular that I would only check pH every 3rd time or so. Now I don't test it at all.

I wouldn't worry about the pH using pH Perfect. I couldn't get a reading that I believed using my freshly calibrated, fairly new pH pen with the pH Perfect nutes. I'm pretty sure that the buffers in the nutes threw off the pen's readings but couldn't find any info about why for sure.

I would remove some of your nutes and add water to reduce your ppm. 2200-2600 seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Or mix up a new batch at a lower level. Excess levels of salts will build up in the leaves and toxic salts buildup happens with older leaves going brown all over and literally burning up from internal heat and going crispy. It progresses all the way into the little leaves poking out of the buds and makes the pot taste pretty crappy even after a good cure.

Changing nutes every week to 10 days when the plants are large and eating lots is probably a good idea in most cases. When first starting off with clones there is no problem to just add smaller amounts of nutes directly into the pail/tub to bump the levels up until the plants are really going then do a complete change after a month or just when you are ready to flip. Depends how long you want to veg as well. If doing a DWC ScroG and vegging longer I would just add more nutes as needed to maintain a level that keeps the plant growing rapidly to fill the screen up. Around 1000ppm is what I run for that. I would rather err on the low side than be too high. If you are a bit too low the older, lower fans will start to yellow and you can boost the level. Also if you get low on water and the concentration of nutes goes up then you have a lot more time to correct the situation before any damage, nute burn, happens. If you are running a pail at 2200ppm and the volume drops by half the ppm doubles! 4400ppm will fry a plant in hours. Running at 1000 it's only going to hit 2000 so disaster is averted. With a tub it takes a lot longer for levels to get so high as to cause a problem. Plus with a tub you have an inspection hole, or should have, so you don't need to remove the lid to inspect the roots or cleanliness of the bottom. Bright flashlight works great for checking that. The tub I have going now has been going for a year. Clear to the bottom, same air stones and still old roots from plants long gone tangled up with the one plant's roots. When I finally pumped out all the nutes and refreshed them my girl went into terminal shock and a pic of that is on the first page of my grow log. I procrastinated in getting rid of her and damned if she didn't recover and now is the best plant of the three. Sometimes it pays to wait.

L8r

High Stomps

Do you mean in hydro or soil? Lots of issues influence the need to flush or not. I tend to not flush unless the plants are not doing well then try to fix what's wrong before I consider flushing. Things rarely go wrong so I rarely flush. :)

L8r

Hi OMU,
My bad with the post. New to the site yesterday and posted before I had finished writing, Doh. I used to have that issue with the spotty leaves when I first started growing, found that flushing more regularly fixed it. The next thing, that I didn't write was to ask weather his PH was correct.
I was trying to assist, but now realise, I need to get familiar with the site first. We live and learn. I made a mountain of errors when I first started growing, registered here to hopefully share some mistakes so others don't go through the same pain.
Cheers.
FYI. I grow in Cocoa under 600wt, DTW.
I am impressed that people were very quick to assist, I like it.

Wow... so complicated! I mean, all the ppm, nutes, pH, etc...
I guess I was lucky this year. My first real grow (Tried years back and over loved them... to death). I had seeds from a friends "oops we missed a male" grow, (afghan kush x maui wowie) and planted them in the garden when it got warm enough. Very, very good rich improved soil. All I have given them, early on, was Miracle Gro, and then some flowering one. Weeks ago. My plans are 10 feet tall, bushy, dark green and flowering all over...

It's illegal where I am and I hate the paranoia, so far, only a couple friends who turned out to be cool have seen it... just a few more weeks. Depending on my yield, if I grow next year, it's going to be INSIDE.

I heard a buzzing one day.. I thought, "Shit, did the county get drones?!?!" but it was a kid on a little dirt bike up the road. I freeze at every car coming down the road... please don't be a cop, no bust no bust... Growing is a mere misdemeanor, but the weightof a dozen 10 foot plants: well over 3 oz... felony...

Wow... so complicated! I mean, all the ppm, nutes, pH, etc...
I guess I was lucky this year. My first real grow (Tried years back and over loved them... to death). I had seeds from a friends "oops we missed a male" grow, (afghan kush x maui wowie) and planted them in the garden when it got warm enough. Very, very good rich improved soil. All I have given them, early on, was Miracle Gro, and then some flowering one. Weeks ago. My plans are 10 feet tall, bushy, dark green and flowering all over...

It's illegal where I am and I hate the paranoia, so far, only a couple friends who turned out to be cool have seen it... just a few more weeks. Depending on my yield, if I grow next year, it's going to be INSIDE.

I heard a buzzing one day.. I thought, "Shit, did the county get drones?!?!" but it was a kid on a little dirt bike up the road. I freeze at every car coming down the road... please don't be a cop, no bust no bust... Growing is a mere misdemeanor, but the weightof a dozen 10 foot plants: well over 3 oz... felony...

Sometimes it's as simple as throwing some seeds in the ground and you can get good results. But that is more rare than not....Plus if you want to really maximize what you grow. Regulating everything gives you the top production from your strain.

FE

Back
Top Bottom