Old guy, new grower

Wildkidz420

420 Member
Good morning,

I'm looking for some professional advice, which lead me here. I'm a total newbie trying my hand at growing some medicine here on Vancouver island Canada. I started 4 plants from bag seed back on Feburary 18 under a couple of Costco low cost grow lights. They are growing okay, from my estimation and limited knowledge. I feel they are small due to the inadequate light but it's all my budget would allow. The plants are being grown in destiny emended soil, I have them in 1 gal pots and have had to transplant the one because it was looking a little nitrogen deficient so moved her over and added soil of course hoping to give her some new nutrients. I'm not using any other nutrients at this time and would prefer not to but your experience and advice on this would be much appreciated.
I also have a burning question and that is, I would like to take the plants from the small closet and bring them outside for the day in order to get some sunlight but the daytime temperature seems to be too cold. They are around 7° today and looks like going upto 12 or 13 by midweek. I would bring them back in at night and put them back under the LED's at night to keep up with the 18/6 cycle. Put I feel that's far too cold for them but look forward to your comments. Thanks so much for you insight and advice.

Attachments

• 15861120975828505426979614958452.jpg
    15861120975828505426979614958452.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 59
Way to cold for outside. Needs to be closer to 70 F - 80 F.
The nutrients that come in the soil only lasts 3 - 4 weeks. Then you have to add your own.
Are those Sativa's ? I'd transplant all of them into 5 gallon pots & then start tying the branches down as far as you can bend them without breaking them. Then Super Crop the Tall Center Branches & you'll end up with a nice bushy plant. Your plants look like they stretched a lot from the light being too high.

Way to cold for outside. Needs to be closer to 70 F - 80 F.
The nutrients that come in the soil only lasts 3 - 4 weeks. Then you have to add your own.
Are those Sativa's ? I'd transplant all of them into 5 gallon pots & then start tying the branches down as far as you can bend them without breaking them. Then Super Crop the Tall Center Branches & you'll end up with a nice bushy plant. Your plants look like they stretched a lot from the light being too high.

Hello, thank you for reaching out. Yes, I have a chocolope, a 5 alive, a bruce banner x kali mist, and a mass CBD. All sativa strains. The problem I'm having with doing any kind of LST is my space. I'm limited to this closet or the wife will send me packing. Lol. Some of these plants definitely stretched do to the light being too far away I'm sure. The lights are only 50w output each and that is also a bit of a drag too and that's why I'm desperate to get them some sunshine. I'm going to put them in the front room with the sunshine on them, what's your thoughts on that measure?

I agree... too cold for outside.

I’d get 5 gallon felt pots for all and up pot.
Check out LST and Supercropping. I have links in my signature.
You’re going to need to feed them. If you want an all in one, start to finish feed, I’d recommend Mega Crop from Greenleaf Nutrients. They have a promo going for 1000g bag 75% off. Very easy to use product.
If you want all organic, I’d recommend researching compost teas, and/or speak to @Emilya about home made nutrients.
I preload my soil with quite a few amendments, then feed seaweed/kelp and molasses, but it gets pricey.

Hello, thank you for reaching out. Yes, I have a chocolope, a 5 alive, a bruce banner x kali mist, and a mass CBD. All sativa strains. The problem I'm having with doing any kind of LST is my space. I'm limited to this closet or the wife will send me packing. Lol. Some of these plants definitely stretched do to the light being too far away I'm sure. The lights are only 50w output each and that is also a bit of a drag too and that's why I'm desperate to get them some sunshine. I'm going to put them in the front room with the sunshine on them, what's your thoughts on that measure?
That’s what I would do until your temps are in the mid 70s.
If you have limited space, top, and use tie downs. They will grow straight up. I just pulled the restraints off of mine
35497FA1-414C-4E06-AB20-C2E9E60A3DE1.jpeg
768E9187-5B03-4503-9B20-731F32C2B55A.jpeg
D699E4CF-417D-42C9-A5F1-FEC620BFA686.jpeg

Thank you. I have ben topping at every 4th node in order for the plants to bush out. I will than try some LST and pull the branches down which in turn will pull them out to the side. And what should I do with the top? Try to pull it down as well? What is your thoughts on putting the plants in direct sunlight inside the house in the window?

That’s probably your best bet in front of the window. Remember... don’t spray your leafs with anything while in direct sunlight.

When you’re pulling them down, massage the stem some so it doesn’t snap. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

Try reading some of my links on the process. There’s a lot of good info.

That’s probably your best bet in front of the window. Remember... don’t spray your leafs with anything while in direct sunlight.

When you’re pulling them down, massage the stem some so it doesn’t snap. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

Try reading some of my links on the process. There’s a lot of good info.
Okay, will do. Thanks again. Happy growing, and keep safe during these shitty times.

Okay, will do. Thanks again. Happy growing, and keep safe during these shitty times.
Same to you... feel free to message any time you have any issues.

Good afternoon AdaminCo, we spoke awhile ago about doing some LSTing and I had some questions about outside temperatures and such. I am going to reach out to you again and just ask for some feedback if you don't mind. I continue to pull the upper growth down and also remove larger fan leaves that are blocking light getting down to lower growth. The plants seem to be responding well and are filling in as you can see. I have one plant that the top few leaves are curling a little bit but the plant itself seems to be healthy and growing. Should I be concerned or just keep an eye on it. The plants are in destiny's living (amended) soil and I have just been watering but have just recently given them a dose of Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1 which greened them up and gave them a bit of a growth boost. I'm wondering, do I carry on pulling down new growth trying to keep an even canopy or let some of the growth go? And what point should I stop tying things down, at what point is it no longer beneficial? Again thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• 20200429_130028.jpg
    20200429_130028.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200429_130142.jpg
    20200429_130142.jpg
    909.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200429_130156.jpg
    20200429_130156.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 51
If you don’t want to tie them down anymore, try supercropping.

The point of it is to keep a flat canopy and allow the lower nodes to catch up to the rest.

I am okay to continue tying down though? And again the idea with that is to try and keep an even canopy correct? So all new growth i just tie back and continue to top that aswell? I have been topping as I get to the 4th set of leaves on all growth. It seems to be filling out. You also stated that I shouldn't be cutting off any fan leaves but I was under the impression that if a fan leaf was in the way of light getting down inside the plant I should get rid of it? Also the curling of those leaves one that 1 plant is that anything I should worry about? I did a bit of research and it looks like an environmental issue. Ie. Too much heat or too much humidity. Again sorry to take your time but am very thankful for your help.

I am okay to continue tying down though? And again the idea with that is to try and keep an even canopy correct? So all new growth i just tie back and continue to top that aswell? I have been topping as I get to the 4th set of leaves on all growth. It seems to be filling out. You also stated that I shouldn't be cutting off any fan leaves but I was under the impression that if a fan leaf was in the way of light getting down inside the plant I should get rid of it? Also the curling of those leaves one that 1 plant is that anything I should worry about? I did a bit of research and it looks like an environmental issue. Ie. Too much heat or too much humidity. Again sorry to take your time but am very thankful for your help.
You’re good... that’s why we’re here.
I don’t defol at all. That’s the solar panel for the plants.
In flower, some remove leafs blocking bud sites, but I just fold them out of the way.
They store up nutrient for the plant.
Here’s a good back an forth we had not too long ago.

And if you must... I follow this:
A60214C9-A790-4B38-B1C0-24F4C5B12ECF.png

Wow eh, thats why this shit is so confusing. So many different opinions and ideas. Its trying to figure out the best and also the best for you. It doesn't seem to be a one size fits all. Again thanks for your help. I'm going to continue to tie things down and leave the leaves on. Lol. And with any luck I will make it to harvest with some decent yields.

I defol a week before flip. Meaning whole branches that are too small, not fans.
I only defol leafs when it’s time for harvest. These are from today. Leafs are good when you don’t quite have your feeding down. If you happen to be deficient on something during the grow, the plant has a way to get it without you being able to tell what it needs. They are essential in organics.
3763C874-040A-4A0F-BCC0-76469D4E8F64.jpeg
ED5A45ED-A1C9-43B4-88AC-CC64880D26EB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom