Old hippie

Mojave Dave

Hi all,

I'm one of the original Southern California hippies that congregated in Isla Vista in the early 60's, the small college town next to UCSB (University of California at Santa Barbara). In those day true "hippies" weren't about getting high as often as possible. It was more of a mindset. The world was full of wanna-be hippies that made the real hippies look bad with all explosion in drug trafficking.

Hippes grew their own pot right next to their vegitable plots.

When Communes became popular, I bounced from one to the other with my brother, Patrick, and learned a lot about people and their base beliefs...mainly that everyone should be able to live as they wish without fear of hassle from the law. Be yourself, be a free spirit, "fuck (sorry ladies) the government!" they all said when congregating around camp fires for a pipe-passing session.

Communes were great in my opinion. They claimed to love you unconditionally just because you exist, and that set oretty well with me. They took virtually anyone in who expressed an interest in their unique lifestyle, and showed them uncommon generosity and all the "free love" they could handle. They also gave away a lot of venereal diseases.

All was well until someone decided to put a string around their tomato garden or whatever, and that made it political. Then the whole idea sort of went to shit.

But the underlying philosophies that hippes brought to the world will always survive. Those of love for humanity, nature, and yourself.

I am rather proud to count myself among those fine people who have ultimately dispersed back into their communities. Although I am part of the "establishment" now and wear my hair short, worked a real job all virtually of my adult life and paid taxes to "the man", I am-- and always will be-- a hippie at heart.

Peace...

Mojave Dave said:
But the underlying philosophies that hippes brought to the world will always survive. Those of love for humanity, nature, and yourself.

:adore: :headbanger:

It's great to meet a hippy from the generation the started it all. Welcome! I've always considered myself a hippy of sorts, and after reading your post I know I am, especially the sentance I quoted from your post. The hippy philosophies have been part of my life ever since I discovered mary jane, and for that I say thank you!! :cool: :peace:

bout time i found someone on this site that is my age....been there done that...i've been smoking weed 3/4 of my life and i dont mind saying that even tho i wasn't smoking pot in the 60's the 70's rocked however!:smokin:

That's awesome man.
I always wanted to try the whole commune thing out. I was really born in the wrong decade.

J842P said:
I was really born in the wrong decade.

I feel the same way my friend. :peace:

instead of wishing lets do it!!! lets make these days more like back in the days!!!!

i think its about time for another hippie movement.....

Good to hear about the good old days Dave.Think I missed you by a couple of years.I started smoking in the late 60s.Just down loaded some music from then.Listening to Vanilla Fudge now.Also dl,d Moby Grape ,Strawberry Alarmclock

we should have like a 420 convention or whatever and have one big smoke out!

dude me and my firends call ourselves hippies and dude like its preety cool to meet someone thats from that era a true hippie. u gota tell me some stories bout the 60s dude i love everything to do with that time period

vampilicious said:
bout time i found someone on this site that is my age....been there done that...i've been smoking weed 3/4 of my life and i dont mind saying that even tho i wasn't smoking pot in the 60's the 70's rocked however!:smokin:

:allgood: Yup!Yup! I'm glad to be finding someone my age too!:smokin3: been smoking along time too..:joint: Hey Dave,Whassup!:cheesygrinsmiley:

It's great to hear from one of the "original" hippies. I loved the post, thank you.
And Vampilicious , I've been smoking just as long. It's too bad you live so far away, I'd invite you over and we'd smoke some really great pot. if your ever in California..........
Peace and happiness

kitkat420 said:
instead of wishing lets do it!!! lets make these days more like back in the days!!!!
Can't do it! The past is done and things have gone forward.

For example, in a 60's commune it was common for the girls to do all the cooking, because kitchen stuff is women's work.

Attitudes have changed. Peaceful communties living in harmony with each other do exist, but are expressions of current attitudes rather than attempts to return to the good old days.

Back
Top Bottom