Orange's Back Yard - H&G - PK & Cali OG - In Soil Pots

orangepony79

420 Member
Orange's Back-Yard H&G CKS PK & OG Cali In Soil

Hey Guys, welcome to the grow. I am a little late in getting started on the journal, but im hoping i can get some help too and its better late than never. So he were are. Orange works for here, but pleased to meet everyone. Ive been reading posts and am familiar with some of you already.

From my introduction title you can tell a little about my grow and before i get into details about the grow, i would like to just talk about growing as a rookie.

I have just a few crops worth of experience and its been in a struggle in all aspects. Good information is hard to sift through on forum pages, and webpages, each one contradicting the other, making it difficult to find reliable information. Im scientific minded and thought the hell with it, ill figure it out on my own and im currently doing just that.

Rather than a long story in why i use what use, keep in mind i am a rookie, ill just post a quick info bar next to the headings i feel appropriate.

I started with crop king seeds, i used them for my first two grows and they worked. That's all i know. I did terrible on those grows learning about nutrient burn, ph imbalance, lock out, root rot, resivior temperatures, etc. Ive done the reading, and made adjustments to the indoor room, but that journal wont be until a later date. Im simply not ready to start indoors. Ok, here we go!

CROPKING SEEDS:

Strain 1

Purple Kush

Flowering time: 8-10 weeks

Indica/saliva hybrid: 75% Indica

Effect: Pure indica high

THC: as high as 24%

Strain 2

Cali OG Kush X Haze

Flowering time: 9-10 weeks

Indica/satire hybrid: 70% Sativa

Effect: Sativa high

THC: Sorry guys correct me if i am wrong, but low 20's.

I used crop king because i can buy them locally hassle free. It convenient and i like the little pins! :). Popped all ten seeds, kept the two best in yard, and sent the rest to the farm. They aren't being tended at all. What ever will be will be. So the best two of each strain here in the yard.

H&G nutrient line.

Gro-tek Cal Max 2-0-0 1/3-1/2 strength

Aqua Flakes A&B

Drip clean

Multi ZEN

Bud XL

Top Booster

Amino treatment

Top shooter

Aquasheild compost liquid. By the way can I use bennies in H&G? Didn't see anything funky in the mix jug when I added it, no ppm sway, or bubbles, just wondering if H&G kills bennies making the aquasheild redundant?

And i have some left over top shooter from a while back that i will add at half strength in august. I use H&G because i was upsold 5 litres of A&B its honestly its what i have handy. Better than a three bottle and not as much work as a 13 bottle line like AN. Jesus the guy at my new store tried to pitch me on it, but shit i use 7 bottles instead of three or 13. That's my reasoning and i likely wont change until i first hand see better results or get my nutes for free. I really want to see what H@G can do, and when i run the 9 pot alien system, i will run the entire line with out added nitrogen, or the magic green spray. I dunno, i don't like to spray my plants with solutions, just PH water usually, and only in veg. I did foliar feed them today, just to see what happens, but I'll quit 4-5 week in flower.

ENVIRONMENT

I live in wine country ontario, and get a good day of sun, with mostly moderate to high temperatures. The days have begun to get shorter and the asymmetrical growth is showing as indicative of a seed beginning VS a clone. You can see this in the PK pics below. The white pistils are beginning to form in the centres of the bud sites. Which week of flower am I on? Did i start flower when the asymmetrical growth happened, or now that im seeing pistils? Mostly sunny days, sheltered from rain during rainy days, i dont want to mess with over watering and staggering ph, so i give them the same water prepared the way i mixed my hydro grows.

The were started in a tent under a 600 MH and hardened off. I struggled with soil and we will get to that next. PK is now 4 feet tall, and Cali OG is about 3/12. I think i stunted my veg stage as i was struggling with PH. Not knowing much about soil and amending, i read bad info and struggled to get my root zone PH in check being as low as 3.5!!! I did a soil check today, measuring with a digital pen meant for hydro. Tap water 7.8, soil slurry, 6.6. Run off said 6.5 sunday. I corrected to 6.3 today by adding ph water. Im on my alternate feeding week, but I gave them some nutes to see if they'd show signs of burn. So far so good. How do you feed in soil? Water and nutes, and then just water? Back and forth? I'd rather giver food every watering if she can take it.

SOIL;

Promix organic vegetable mix

Fafard 3 in 1 (local nursery)

Dolomitic lime pellets

Sphagnum peat moss. ( very low PH be careful )

20% pearlite

A few shovels of washed sand for drainage

Messed up large amending my soil. The short of it is adding sphagnum peat will acidify your soil like mad. I have that all in check and have the peat and lime balanced in the medium almost perfectly. I should be able to hold at 6.3 by my next feeding this upcoming sunday. I am finally confident that my root zone will remain the correct PH for the rest of the grow with out much effort on my part.

Ive had a few dead leaves and tried to FIM all these plants but it didnt work. I ended up just damaging the fan leaves that ended up growing at that node. I suspect i didnt remove enough.

Here's some pics. Enjoy. PLease comment, feel free to help, i am a rookie and seriously need to know how to return my investment on the indoor equipment i have ready for my next grow. Any good advice would be solid. Again this is only grow 3, and I'm currently setting up a nine pot alien hydroponics system from the UK. More details on that later.

420-magazine-mobile2105538311.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1461148242.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1669031630.jpg

420-magazine-mobile895586449.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1582442612.jpg

420-magazine-mobile334410713.jpg

What is making holes in my leaves? I have to say no pests, even outdoor I can't see anything eating the leaves. Calcium Def? I recently added cal mag, mentioned above at 1/2 strength, and bought some amino treatment, and multizen. I gave this to the plants this morning, and last night after dinner. How often are you adding nutes to your water? Every watering or alternating?

These ones are the purple Kush ABOVE

Cali OG below.

420-magazine-mobile114341735.jpg

420-magazine-mobile630421.jpg

420-magazine-mobile757981050.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1523358727.jpg

No holes in these leaves but some spotting and dying bottom leaves, I pul em when they're 50% dead.

Here they are side by side

420-magazine-mobile787342904.jpg

420-magazine-mobile17192389.jpg

Please feel free to comment, help out or offer advice. This is only my 3rd grow and i could use all the help i can get. I'm struggling a little bit and am worried about the newer growth yellowing. It isn't severe, but it's only happening around the bud sites currently. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll post pictures if it get bad enough that I need some advice.

Best regards

Orange.

Orange's Back Yard - H&G - CKS PK & Cali OG - In Soil Pots

Took some pics today, of my nutrient line and additives, seeds and plants. Still some issues in old damaged leaves but I don't think they will heal. The Purple Kush is 61" and the OG is 49". Here they are around a week apart.

There's about 15 slats in the first pic, to the top of PK, and 19 to the second. Kinda works like a growth chart to me though. I can use the pictures with scale.

420-magazine-mobile1846134846.jpg

420-magazine-mobile57952768.jpg

The second photo is a different angle as my water melons have taken over that section of yard. I had to stand between the vines to get that crappy picture.

The nutrient line and additives
420-magazine-mobile107907767.jpg

There is no roots exelurator in the photo because I didn't use it this grow, there are only a few weeks left to feed it and I'm not buying a bottle to open it for 1/2 the cycle. Initially I had planned to use only A&B because they're outdoor, and not in hydro, but I decided to use up some older bottles to learn with, and get fresh bottles of the nutrient on my next grow RDWC. I will acquire a bottle of RE, and run the rest of the missing bottles not being used for this grow. N27, RE, MG foliar, and the AE. The little clear bottle is my pH down. It's phosphoric acid at 75% strength, and used literally 6-10 drops in 16 litres of water.

Seed packages

420-magazine-mobile564105618.jpg

420-magazine-mobile263195289.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1493517592.jpg

420-magazine-mobile80535378.jpg

Here's the plants, I'm not sure how many days have gone by since last photos, but this is my practice journal before setting up the room indoors.

Purple Kush

420-magazine-mobile705144208.jpg

420-magazine-mobile407255234.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1471601398.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1763845954.jpg

Tried to show the calyx development to ascertain what week of flower I'm in? I have to assume week 1 or two, I'd like to know this so I can get a better guideline out of the feed schedule.

Here's the OG

420-magazine-mobile514221658.jpg

She's showing signs of something, not sure what, maybe too much cal mag? It's the only thing I'm using outside a normal house and garden regiment. After reading 40 pages of H&G threads last night, people are saying it's not usually needed unless your plants are asking for it.

Not sure the colour of these plants either, I think they should be greener? Any ideas?

420-magazine-mobile1777678197.jpg

420-magazine-mobile418783901.jpg

420-magazine-mobile71819316.jpg

Here's the top, can anyone tell what week I should be on. I've been feeding week two nutrient for two weeks because I'm waiting for the budlets to tell me I'm on week four or five.

The concern is top booster is used for only 3-4 days on week 6 with a 9 week flower cycle and leaving 6-7 days to flush.

Because the feed window for this additive is so narrow, I want to know when I begin counting my flower weeks, and any idea of what they should look like around the time I'm supposed to add the top booster.

420-magazine-mobile1398656421.jpg

420-magazine-mobile106308510.jpg

This is OG top first then the PK top.

Thanks for tuning in, I wish I could get some more H&G help here. I don't know what's making the swirls in the OG, not doing it to the PK, and the PK doesn't have holes in her leaves either. I did struggle with lock out and pH problems during vegetation. I'm sure it's corrected now, the plants are seeing rapid growth.

Any input here would be great.

Orange.

Nice update Orange. I am afraid I am very limited help when it comes to nutrients. I grow in organic soil and don't add anything. I love the classic Christmas tree look you have going on brother! I rarely get to see it as most people I follow are indoor growers. Its nice to see what a classic looking plant does outdoors.

Yeah I didn't want to molest them too much after the failed FIM. By the time I realized it didn't take, I felt I was too far into veg and node height to attempt FIM again without making the " manifold" top-heavy and too far away from the base of the plant. It was a learning experience, and I didn't snip anything on my first two grows either. They say the 3rd is your first true grow, and I think I've come a really long way for only 2 complete cycles. This one is doing better than both previous, but my hydro system was jacked and home made. Forget that noise, I decided to purchase the alien system. Check it out online in the U.K.

I will be hoping to successfully FIM and or top my next cycle, and I'm hoping to start a mother from seed first, so I can keep cloning her when I mess up to start over. I'm concerned about root rot growing that way again, and burning was much easier as the roots are in feed water constantly. I have a solid system and am investigating temperatures in mid summer to see if the room stays cool enough during peak temps, and if it doesn't, I'll test the res temps. If they're too high, I'll have to invest in a chiller.

I will get it figured out tho.

So cool, been a little while since my last update. Had a wind storm, broke two lower branches off the purple Kush. I just trimmed em off at the stalk, and clipped a few clones off the branches that were removed. It's just a test run, as the plants have started to flower and I just wanted some experience rooting for my next cycle. I'll likely start a mother from seed and grow her for two months before taking vegetative clones.

Plants are doing well, purple Kush is 61/2 feet tall from the pot, and the OG is still behind in height at 51/2, but she's much bushier.
PK fell over twice in the wind storm, I tucked them beside the house where the previous pics are against the siding. They seem to have r covered well but they weren't happy a few days after that.

Still feeding at Around 850ppm, and due to soil pH creep,I've been pHing to 6.0. Run off and soil slurry tests still reading 6.3-6.5. I tried giving her 900 the OG doesn't mind, but the PK shows slightly browned leaf tips. So I don't know exactly what ppm the OG can take, as I only mix one batch of feed, and split it between both pots. I realize I could be depriving the OG of food she can take, but this in only grow 4, so I'm still trying to iron the bugs out on the grow level im on.

Scored some big bud just a sample size, but debating on if I should use the big bud in conjunction with the house and garden nutrient or just hold off until week four and use the H&G line( bud xl and top booster) at week four. They're both showing flowers though so it should be down hill for the next 8-9 weeks.

Does this photo show what weeks, I'm going to assume I'm starting week one as of sunday, and will mark this coming Sunday as the start of week 2.
420-magazine-mobile1375748578.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1651224648.jpg

Those pics show a flower site from each plant. Again I have to assume week 2 Sunday. In which case if I'm going to use the big bud, then I would add it to my feed this Sunday. I'm not sure I want to ,Essa with H&G until I get a base line run, so I think I'm going to hold off and see what H&G can do on it's own.

Here's some more pics I took this morning.
420-magazine-mobile1813990792.jpg

420-magazine-mobile797044101.jpg

420-magazine-mobile294464397.jpg

420-magazine-mobile864104877.jpg

420-magazine-mobile768954638.jpg

As far as I can tell, I'm supposed to wait until week 4 for bud xl, I need to confirm this as there is conflicting information from the feed chart to the back of the bottle.

I'm going to send humboldt an email and see if I can get some answers.

I was hoping to have a few more people sub in, but I guess it is just you and I.

Thanks for tuning in

Yeah, I don't know that I am much help in terms of nutrient type grows since I grow in organic soil. Having said that, your plants look awesome. I love seeing them growing outdoors. I had a 6 foot male growing outside until he started popping pollen balls and I had to cut his ass down. I just wanted to see how he grew outdoors. They look like they should produce some great bud!! Can't wait to see them pack on the size!

Alright, broke the transmission on the car, been on a different forum. Grow is going well, added some big bud to my H&G feed, phosphorus or potassium OD. I eliminated it from the feed, pulled the affected leaves and seems to be doing well. They slowed down for about a week. I think I am at the beginning of week 4. Here they are...
420-magazine-mobile2121215781.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom