Origin of Cottonmouth

Potrick

This one night I was all stoned and it got me thinking, why does your mouth turn dry when you smoke weed? Then it hit me, people have been smoking weed with each other for 250,000 years right? So soon people evolved a mechanism that makes their mouth dry when they smoke-because it decreases chances of getting a disease through saliva they share when smoking a joint. The people who didn't get this mechanism died out from getting diseases from each other, and the cottonmouth people prospered...natural selection. Do you guys think I'm on to something?

That is fucking epic man

no i dont think its that because people get coton mouth from other things like some pills and people havent been poping pills for ever. but yea i think you must be really really high

Nah man, people havn't been smoking joints for thousands of years...
Early man, if they did use cannabis by means of inhilation, most likely made a tent-like structure and burned a whole shit load of plant in there... hot boxing man, it's as old as time...

yeah thats complete bulshit. (no offense) I dont know why it causes cottonmouth but it does and cottonmouth sucks. i do know a few lucky people who are immune tho.

Rastoner definatly had the best comment on here

Yokogake said:
possible, evolution usually does not work that quickly though for an isolated amout on people....
wait what if the marijuana itself causes cottonmouth on its users so they dont get hella germs from people?

I don't think there's any virus or bacteria virulent enough to spread with however little saliva gets on a joint. Plus we may have been smokin for about 250,000yrs (is that true by the way?) but we haven't even had permanant settlements for even a tenth of that period and as any pathologist will tell ya, almost every disease that can transmit that easily came about in city life because people are in so close together it's so easy for a virus to run rampant.

It is a good question though... I wonder why it does happen.

I don't get cottonmouth in the sense that my actual mouth is dry. I get thirsty after smoking anything (cigs, weed, etc.) because it dries out my throat, but I don't really suffer from cottonmouth anymore. I used to get it like a bitch from cigs, but that passed thankfully.

While not likely, that *was* an interesting theory. Always nice to see someone else who likes to open their mind and philosophize deeper about things.

Uprising said:
I don't think there's any virus or bacteria virulent enough to spread with however little saliva gets on a joint. Plus we may have been smokin for about 250,000yrs (is that true by the way?) but we haven't even had permanant settlements for even a tenth of that period and as any pathologist will tell ya, almost every disease that can transmit that easily came about in city life because people are in so close together it's so easy for a virus to run rampant.

It is a good question though... I wonder why it does happen.
There is no "reason" in the sense that it has a purpose evolutionarily...

j842p said:
There is no "reason" in the sense that it has a purpose evolutionarily...
So? I still kinda wanna know what the mechanism is.

Back
Top Bottom