Oscillating fan or static fan with a schedule?

Sir3

420 Member
I am unable to find a small oscilating fan for my 2.5x.2.5x6/80x80x180cm tent and as l understand, the girls do not like continuous wind, l was thinking of using a smart socket and turn the static fan on every 5 minutes for 15 seconds.
Can you tell me please if another schedule is better or if you recommend a small oscillating fan. The standard secret jardin 20w fans seem either very noisy, 50-60 db or prone to fires from what l read in the reviews.

Thank you

I am unable to find a small oscilating fan for my 2.5x.2.5x6/80x80x180cm tent and as l understand, the girls do not like continuous wind, l was thinking of using a smart socket and turn the static fan on every 5 minutes for 15 seconds.
Can you tell me please if another schedule is better or if you recommend a small oscillating fan. The standard secret jardin 20w fans seem either very noisy, 50-60 db or prone to fires from what l read in the reviews.

Thank you
The best fan I've had luck with is a tower fan that oscillates, and does "bursts" making it turbulent inside the tent. If you can squeeze one into the budget (and space), that'd be my recommendation. Failing that, a regular household fan that oscillates would be better IMO. But hopefully someone else can chime in with some suggestions!

So you say oscilating is better that 15 seconds of direct wind every 5 minutes or so? For me it seems that in a tent so small, the girl is always in the wind. Maybe l misunderstood that they do not like constant wind?

So you say oscilating is better that 15 seconds of direct wind every 5 minutes or so? For me it seems that in a tent so small, the girl is always in the wind. Maybe l misunderstood that they do not like constant wind?
The constant wind is a bit of a debate and really involves the total of everything (proximity, tent size, plant size, pests, etc).
And as mentioned, the fan doesn't need to be pointed directly at them.

I do have a small fan that I move around the tent as well, it's a static fan and small.

A constant flow of high wind can create wind burn on the plant, and that's what most try to avoid.

Good windflow is important and often overlooked by many.

Creates micro fractures within the plant and strengthens the stems, branches, etc. Makes it less friendly for pests as well. Makes it easier to control powdery mildew as well. The list goes on.

This is one of those topics where perhaps you will need to find whats comfortable and works for you. If you can't squeeze a fan in, then active intake and exhaust will create a nice wind tunnel.

And yes, personally I'd take an oscillating fan anyday over a static, so long as it's not one of those junk ones that's a fire risk (as you mentioned in 1st post)

This is my setup at the moment. I used an oscilating fan outside of the tent for the lights on the light on period and the 2 small computer fans in the lower right during the night time. I can't keep my tent open for a certain period and l wanted to take the right decision about the fan. But l read so much that IDK now what to use now.
IMG_20220112_213640.jpg

This is my setup at the moment. I used an oscilating fan outside of the tent for the lights on the light on period and the 2 small computer fans in the lower right during the night time. I can't keep my tent open for a certain period and l wanted to take the right decision about the fan. But l read so much that IDK now what to use now.
IMG_20220112_213640.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words! Nice job with her!

How handy are you with tools? Cause you can make a small shelf that fits between the two poles, and place a small oscilating fan up top.

I prefer oscillating fan on low. However, I used to use a box fan. I aimed it at the wall away from the plants, at an angle almost hitting the corner. I put the fan on high. This creates a kind of swirling air flow.

If you put the fan on low, then have it on a timer, that should be fine.

I second the Hurricane.

Sadly, there aren't any Hurricane oscillating small fans available for Europe. Amazon or other. Maybe during the summer they will show up in the stores
And from other threads in this forum, the secret jardin osc fan is a piece of crap. Someone said that they will have a new model this year, but who can trust them anymore
This is why l was trying to find a solution using a static fan somehow. My idea was to run a static fan blowing slightly above the canopy once every 5 minutes for 15 seconds. From what l read, 5 minutes it's not that long. But l am not sure about the impact of such a strategy on the plant

Yes, l can set whatever duration on the smartplug. I just do not know what is best for the girls... l do not want to stress them with too much wind o not enough :(
I can make a schedule that turns on the smartplug 5 seconds every minute for an hour. And then use that script once every hour. Maybe less during the night?

Back
Top Bottom