Overgrowing, An Easy Way To Create Your Own Feminized Seeds

If you extend the bloom period of most plants to almost ridiculous extremes, you can force the plant to freak out, hermi, and produce its own seeds. There will be no males involved in this process, so the seeds that result have to be feminine.

I don't know where the term came from, but I have always called it Over Growing. Sensimilla plants, having been frustrated by not getting pollinated, can be given a second chance to act upon their prime directive... the continuation of the species.

If you leave enough of the plant to continue on after a harvest the plant will react to almost being killed and will see this as a second opportunity to produce seeds.

I have two O. Gelato plants that were mostly harvested, but I left 4 or 5 good stems of buds untouched. It has been about a week since the cutting and I am starting to see signs of revegging (but still under a 12/12 light) so these plants are definitely freaking out. White pistils are popping out everywhere, even in the now overly ripe buds. Soon I expect to see a nanner or two... its just a matter of time. I need to turn off the fan that exchanges air with the other bloom room, only halfway into the cycle. I give it about a month, and I will have seeds, as these plants give their last hurrah to continue the species. We will follow this with pictures as we close out this grow.

Here is what is left of the plant after the harvest of about 4 oz dry.

what is left of the plant.JPG

It almost looks like the entire plant is revegging
almost like reveging.JPG

New pistils shooting out of overripe buds

new pistils.JPG
fem seeds in the making.JPG

More as it develops...

If you extend the bloom period of most plants to almost ridiculous extremes, you can force the plant to freak out, hermi, and produce its own seeds. There will be no males involved in this process, so the seeds that result have to be feminine.

I don't know where the term came from, but I have always called it Over Growing. Sensimilla plants, having been frustrated by not getting pollinated, can be given a second chance to act upon their prime directive... the continuation of the species.

If you leave enough of the plant to continue on after a harvest the plant will react to almost being killed and will see this as a second opportunity to produce seeds.

I have two O. Gelato plants that were mostly harvested, but I left 4 or 5 good stems of buds untouched. It has been about a week since the cutting and I am starting to see signs of revegging (but still under a 12/12 light) so these plants are definitely freaking out. White pistils are popping out everywhere, even in the now overly ripe buds. Soon I expect to see a nanner or two... its just a matter of time. I need to turn off the fan that exchanges air with the other bloom room, only halfway into the cycle. I give it about a month, and I will have seeds, as these plants give their last hurrah to continue the species. We will follow this with pictures as we close out this grow.

Here is what is left of the plant after the harvest of about 4 oz dry.
what is left of the plant.JPG

It almost looks like the entire plant is revegging
almost like reveging.JPG

New pistils shooting out of overripe buds

new pistils.JPG
fem seeds in the making.JPG

More as it develops...
I thought seeds from a Hermie would also have Hermie traits & then when grown, you have to watch out they don't pollinate your other plants ? Something that I heard somewhere before. Don't know first hand.

I thought seeds from a Hermie would also have Hermie traits & then when grown, you have to watch out they don't pollinate your other plants ? Something that I heard somewhere before. Don't know first hand.
:hmmmm: I have heard this also, but as in so many things there is much more to be told than what some "guru" states on the internet. As it turns out, not all Hermies are the same. If a plant is genetically weak and tends to hermi if you look at her wrong, it is definitely unwise to use any seeds that might be produced by that plant. Why waste your time and money on a plant that has good chance of turning on you in mid stream because of any number of factors? A good number of over hybridized and F1 and F2 versions of seeds are being sold as stable lines these days, when they are not. These are causing an increased number of "unexplained" hermaphroditism here in the cannabis world. A surprise and unexpected hermi is never to be trusted.

What I am doing is different. This hermi is not at all unexpected and we can be sure that it is not going to be caused by weak and too heavily crossed genetics. Since we know that we started with a strong plant and caused this plant to hermi because of our abuse, this hermi actually doesn't add any increased chances in that its offspring will also hermi, because there is nothing wrong with the genetics. The offspring will be exact duplicates of the plant that produced them and should be fine as long as they are not also abused in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom