Panning for interest: 100 gallon ultracrop photoperiod indoor grow

Should I run with this crazy idea?

• Do it! For science!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • This would be a crazy waste of time and materials... But do it anyways!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • You're crazy, just do another autoflower grow in the mean time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No... Just no.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

FoNz

It will be a moment before I can fund my next perpetual mother/clone tent alongside veg/flower tent and I am wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing what kind of extremes or total failure could come from a 100 gallon fabric pot soil grow.
IMG_20190413_140853.jpg

I mean, I just have this laying around gathering dust.

You can super crop it into a weeping willow looking tree. :rofl:
Tastiest tree I will have ever encountered. :rofl::drool:

Though if I veg it out and top it above node 8 and strip the nodes below 6, then quadline it... I might be able to crawl underneath it for a nap. @Mr. Magoo your quadlined always turn out so picture perfect... Whadya think?

Sounds like you have convinced yourself. Does it really matter what we say? Sounds like you want to do it this pretty bad LMAO.

Time is going to be a factor. Going to take lots more veg time to really take advantage of the extra room for roots. I agree with the height thing too. You can spread it out pretty far but you will still need room for air circulation around and below the plant. 8' ceilings would be a minimum and pushing the limits.

Sounds like you have convinced yourself. Does it really matter what we say? Sounds like you want to do it this pretty bad LMAO.

Time is going to be a factor. Going to take lots more veg time to really take advantage of the extra room for roots. I agree with the height thing too. You can spread it out pretty far but you will still need room for air circulation around and below the plant. 8' ceilings would be a minimum and pushing the limits.
Vertical space is my limit right now for sure, I don't yet have my dream home with a glass roofed indoor courtyard at the center. :(
Do you think it's possible to train a plant for a wide canopy without allowing it to stretch vertically too much? I was thinking of something to the effect of quadlining to keep the canopy low and spread with (too many) rope supports. But even though it will be tough and time consuming, if enough people would want to see it I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig.

Pretty hard to spread a plant as wide as you would need it to be. With the right strain it might be doable. Which strain would work I have no idea. I really think it would be a waste of your time.

Trust me people will say to do it. Thing is they don't have to do it. They just want to watch. The troubles you would have to deal with and the risk of crap at the end of all that time make it not worth the effort.

Just because people want to see it does not mean it is worth doing.

What kind of light/ lights do you have? I believe you can contain height if you go all blue spectrum close up during veg and through the first 3 weeks of flower before flipping to red. Check out my eagle journal, I’m doing a test right now on stretch under blue light and the phenos of a true Sativa have all stretched 2x or less by flowering under blue.

Pretty hard to spread a plant as wide as you would need it to be. With the right strain it might be doable. Which strain would work I have no idea. I really think it would be a waste of your time.

Trust me people will say to do it. Thing is they don't have to do it. They just want to watch. The troubles you would have to deal with and the risk of crap at the end of all that time make it not worth the effort.

Just because people want to see it does not mean it is worth doing.
Ah, thanks for the nice response Jackalope. If I did do it it would be as said previously, realizing it has many chances to fail.
I do think I could at least pull off a full grow and this would only be a temporary experiment between my current and my next real grow, a perpetual photoperiod mother/clone/flowering setup. It could be neat to have something like this expirement documented in detail on the forums.
I just wasn't going to document it if there was not much interest.
What kind of light/ lights do you have? I believe you can contain height if you go all blue spectrum close up during veg and through the first 3 weeks of flower before flipping to red. Check out my eagle journal, I’m doing a test right now on stretch under blue light and the phenos of a true Sativa have all stretched 2x or less by flowering under blue.
I do have LEDs that can be switched between veg/bloom spectrum and I agree light control will be crucial to strengthening the plant. I'll check out your journal to see if I can find some useful stuff! Thanks man.

If you’re gonna do it, at least give her a chance, put her outside and let the sun do it’s thing + it’s cheeper too. What a difference the sun makes on a grow compared to today’s lighting. “ might as well” go commando, gorilla, and bring a 10’ ladder with u, now that I’d watch. Wouldn’t u?

If you’re gonna do it, at least give her a chance, put her outside and let the sun do it’s thing + it’s cheeper too. What a difference the sun makes on a grow compared to today’s lighting. “ might as well” go commando gorilla,and go all the way.... lmao
Would love to grow a plant outside but, unfortunately, I can't because I don't have a space that meets the legal requirements.

No matter what we say you are getting it in your mind to try. Never hurts to try stuff once in a while. The only way for it to be a total fail is to try and get it too big. Nothing wrong with seeing how big of a plant you can grow in a pot that size. It would be best to start with bigger before you shoot for huge. Normally indoors I like to get a nice root ball for a nice full plant. It would take a long time for a plant to do that in a pot that size. Outdoor plants don't form a root ball so I don't think it is required.

Feeding and watering can become issues. You need to get it in that pot early for good root development. Hard to keep that much soil moist without some getting to damp. At least till the roots spread enough to drink it all down. With that much soil it will be tough to give it plenty of food and still get it flushed in time. You want to be able to flower and finish it when it hits size limits. This could create feeding issues.

Like I said my guess is you try it. GOOD LUCK

No matter what we say you are getting it in your mind to try. Never hurts to try stuff once in a while. The only way for it to be a total fail is to try and get it too big. Nothing wrong with seeing how big of a plant you can grow in a pot that size. It would be best to start with bigger before you shoot for huge. Normally indoors I like to get a nice root ball for a nice full plant. It would take a long time for a plant to do that in a pot that size. Outdoor plants don't form a root ball so I don't think it is required.

Feeding and watering can become issues. You need to get it in that pot early for good root development. Hard to keep that much soil moist without some getting to damp. At least till the roots spread enough to drink it all down. With that much soil it will be tough to give it plenty of food and still get it flushed in time. You want to be able to flower and finish it when it hits size limits. This could create feeding issues.

Like I said my guess is you try it. GOOD LUCK
You make it sound like I'm going off to Afghanistan again instead of having some fun. :rofl::rofl:

Edit: I do very much appreciate the words of caution though. The more I can recognize the challenges, the easier I can build an effective plan with preventative measures. Please don't think I'm dismissing your info.

If I do go ahead with this (it's not for certain yet) I would be using primarily rich organic soil mixes and nutrients that would better replicate the outdoor environment, I also have an abundance of lights to choose from to play with manipulating apical growth and stretch.

Previously, I have managed to turn a 2.5x7 balcony space into a 30-fruiting plant jungle while also attending to an 8-zone DWC indoors. So the raw amount of time this gal would get would be significant, plenty to pay attention for soil moisture (I tend to use light airy mixes dry out easily - coupled with air pots this works well but requires more time spent watering and adjusting nutes).

One thing I am currently stumped on is how to elevate a 100 gallon air pot so that I can get air flow beneath, which will be necessary to allowing the pot to dry out evenly. I probably would have to build something.

Hey Fonz, was talking about regeneration on a separate thread and it gave me an idea for you. What if instead of a single plant in your 100 gallon, you plant 3 of the exact same strain or strain/ pheno. Let them really grow and get through a harvest, and then regenerate for a second harvest (leaving the entire well established rootstock in place)? I think this could be a funner grow for you and leave you with a much much much bigger harvest. Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom