Passive scrog system need advice

gmase22

I am planning to try out the ol' scrog and could use some tips. I plan to try a passive wick system. This is also something I could use some tips on. I am using fox farm ocean forest soil, will that be absorbent enough for the wick? I am also using fox farm nutes does this sound like itll all work how Im planning? Can I just use and t shirt for the wick or is there some specific rope that works best. As far as the closet goes it is 2' by 4' by 6'. I have a 400 watt MH for veg and HPS for flower. Is there any specifics I should know before I get this rolling. Any tips/ comments would be great. :ganjamon:

I have never heard of a passive wick system so thats new to me. Sounds like you have everything you need for a good grow. Fox farms organic nutes are my favorite. Ocean forest soil is also my favorite soil to you. What nutes did you get? The liquid ones or soulbles?

sounds like you have a plan. most of the soil growers here tend to do a wet/dry cycle, but with a wick system the plants will uptake little amounts continuously so the soil will always be at a moist level. for the wick, a t shirt should work fine, i have seen other grows that got tiki torch wicks from the dollar store and used those, and it worked well.

good luck with your grow!

Thanks for the advice guys. Ya I have gone with a wet dry top feed system that has worked well. I have just read a few things about the wick system and the low maintainence sounded to good to pass up. I took another look at my closet though and I'm having second thoughts about the scrog. I have enough vertical room and I dont think I necessarily need a screen. I think I will just let them grow into tall monsters because frankly its way cooler looking.

Ok so now I get it....Why wouldnt you just water them like everybody else does? It will save you alot of pain.
a wick system can allow extended absences from the garden as long as the reservoir has some solution to wick up.
gmase22 said:
Most things I have been reading sound like in the scrog you put the screen like 8-12 inches above the pots. This is great to save vertical space but can I put the screen like 2-3 feet about and get bigger plants?
You can place the screen at any height you want but know that the higher the screen the more veg time it will take to fill enough to flip to 12/12. You want to fill the screen to about 40% before switching which allows the 21 day stretch at onset of 12/12 to fill in the rest.

What do you mean by wet dry top feed system. It sounds interesting but i can't find any info on it. Are you still going with wick and your gonna top feed some how? Or did you bail on the wick and go with something else like a drip. Thanks alot for the help.

If you fill the screen properly, there's not much (any) point in having it 2' or 3' above the pot(sic) because no useful light will get through the canopy. Just set it high enough that you'll be able to get your hands/arms in there to work. That will vary depending on what the grower feels most comfortable with but it won't be 2'-3'. Kind of defeats the purpose.

While wick systems were all the rage 25yrs ago and they still work not many people se them anymore because of the problems getting it correct. They work, but if using 5gal pots you can get away with watering 1 x week for the first weeks, then when mature about every three days or more depending on transpiration, heat, humidity. Before getting complex try the simple IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom