Percent of amber, when to harvest?

KarlJay

I've been told and have followed the 'rule of thumb' to harvest when you get about 20/25% amber trichs.

However, a local grower just told me today, he harvests at 75+% amber.

So far, those that have tested my product (Mr NiceGuy and Raskal OG) have said it was A1 Top Shelf.

All the reading I've done, actually seems to suggest harvesting somewhere around 15% (IIRC).

Q1. when do you harvest?

I told him I cut a small frosty leaf and check that under the microscope. He said you need to look at the flower, not the leaves. I'm looking at the smaller frosty leaves.

There's no way I can hold the plant steady enough for a 100X microscope, that's why I cut a leaf off.

Q2. What do you look at for amber trichs?

To be honest, I don't look at all. I run a variety of strains and each expresses much better aroma and flavor as it fully matures. I don't try to take a plant early to change its properties because it also changes its flavor to what I consider "green" so I select strains that provide the desired effect and grow them till they are full of flavor and totally finished

DSC_4862_bluedream.jpg

To be honest, I don't look at all. I run a variety of strains and each expresses much better aroma and flavor as it fully matures. I don't try to take a plant early to change its properties because it also changes its flavor to what I consider "green" so I select strains that provide the desired effect and grow them till they are full of flavor and totally finished

DSC_4862_bluedream.jpg

Yep what he said..... But usually mine do have more amber than most people I know.

I actualy prefer the headier highs of earlier harvested strains. I have been thrilled with my 55 day flower sour diesel or kush strains. With proper drying and curing the taste and odor are wonderfully horrific. Almost a psychedelic buzz. Nothing wrong with waiting either but each strain is different and so are people's desires ;)

At 55 days, my trichromes are about 40% to 50% milky with little or no amber anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom