Harvesting: cloudy or amber trichomes?

What percent of trichs do I want amber
I shoot for something in the 10%-30% amber range, I smoke mostly in the evenings. I have insomnia issues, so I like a good couch lock! Pretty much personal preference. Make sure you're looking at the trichs on the buds, not the leaves, the leaf trichs turn sooner than the buds.

Good morning @Gangamane :ciao: hope you are well my friend.
What you should be watching is the pistils.
When she is finished flowering and building for you their white pistols turn red and crinkle in.
She also stops emptying her pot.
When they crinkle in then check tric's
Clear / cloudy energetic feeling.
Cloudy / amber relaxed feeling.
Pistils not tric's.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Like @Bill284 said :thumb:

It is the white pistils on the bud turning amber & not the trichomes.

If it was the trichomes you would be flowering way past the expected breeders time of flowering period suggested.

Like @Bill284 said :thumb:

It is the white pistils on the bud turning amber & not the trichomes.

If it was the trichomes you would be flowering way past the expected breeders time of flowering period suggested.
This is my godfather how much longer do the pros think. They say it's approximately a 8 week strain

IMG_20220705_155433801.jpg

Donn amber trichomes mean a couch lock effect?

This is one of these cannabis myth areas in the subculture of growing which has been around for decades.

You would need a jewelers loupe or mini microscope to view the trichome progress how ever milky trichomes are considered THC ripe where as amber trichome in general start to degrade the THC content & may form other cannabinoids.

The couch lock effect is normally associated with pure Indica's or high % Indica hybrids & not with Sativa strains.

Whilst some strains do produce amber tric's others may not no matter how long you want to push them, so at the end of day at your own cost & time.

This is your grow & medical plants only trial 'n' error is the true learning curve... then ya think what a load of fuzzy sizzle that was :ganjamon:

Currently looking at present pic's I may suspect around 3 to 4 weeks of flowering LEDS are being used due to the blurple back ground, all pistils are white which would suggest clear trichomes... On a gut feeling I would expect to see the start of pistils turning burnt orange in colour in about 2 to 3 weeks time this will progress further with trichomes turning cloudy.

You can make observations your self with any equipment mentioned above !

That plant is nowhere near ready. 4 to 5 weeks left. Look at trichomes as well as pistils, there should be no space for them and the new ones will fold in on themselves. You could also go by how ripe your buds feel. Those of us that are super sniffers should be able to smell a ready plant too. All these contribute to a done plant. Trichomes are only part of the puzzle. I grow and breed landrace sativas and I like those bad girls 10% amber 80% cloudy and 10% clear. Some play on either side of those numbers. Really all comes down to preference. Happy growing

That plant is nowhere near ready. 4 to 5 weeks left. Look at trichomes as well as pistils, there should be no space for them and the new ones will fold in on themselves. You could also go by how ripe your buds feel. Those of us that are super sniffers should be able to smell a ready plant too. All these contribute to a done plant. Trichomes are only part of the puzzle. I grow and breed landrace sativas and I like those bad girls 10% amber 80% cloudy and 10% clear. Some play on either side of those numbers. Really all comes down to preference. Happy growing
So does that mean that the buds will swell some more?

Okay guys thank you for all of your help I have another question this is my cookies plant that I had to pull early when drying is it normal being 2 days into drying her that its smelling like grass clippings lol.. this is my first grow so I don't know if it should smell that way
The hay smell is the chlorophyll in the plant .... Doing a nice slow drying helps the break down of it.... And once you cure the herb properly the smell of hay should be gone and should smell dank .

That would be personal preference.... Some trim wet....some trim dry....some stagger it half and half..

My self personally do about a 75% wet trim and then clean up what ever else when dry.... It could be just wishful thinking I feel removing them wet helps speed up the drying ever so slightly.

That would be personal preference.... Some trim wet....some trim dry....some stagger it half and half..

My self personally do about a 75% wet trim and then clean up what ever else when dry.... It could be just wishful thinking I feel removing them wet helps speed up the drying ever so slightly.
Absolutely a personal preference, no real right or wrong. Trimming the shade leaves definitely speeds up drying by a day or three (I've done side by side tests). My preference is to leave the leaves on, to specifically slow the drying process. I like as slow a dry as I can get. But, there are certainly circumstances that favor taking the shade leaves off first (high humidity, mold issues, etc).

Absolutely a personal preference, no real right or wrong. Trimming the shade leaves definitely speeds up drying by a day or three (I've done side by side tests). My preference is to leave the leaves on, to specifically slow the drying process. I like as slow a dry as I can get. But, there are certainly circumstances that favor taking the shade leaves off first (high humidity, mold issues, etc).
Cool so it's not just my mind playing tricks... And how long due you personally try to let them slow dry? Do you extend passed the normal 5-7 days *average*

7+ days is great, I like to jar them at about 75% rh, then burp them down daily over the next couple weeks to around 65% rh, after that I burp twice a week for couple more weeks, then after it gets down to about 55-60% every couple weeks, really dependent on how it looks, smells, feels. Bottom line is get the chlorophyll broke down and get the mowed grass smell gone!

Back
Top Bottom