Personal experience plus market research 30/1/2020: latest tech & opinions! EU side

Drstrain

420 Member
Hello, i would like to start explaining how i ended doing my first post ever.
Lately i decided to try for a hobbie to do a grow so i can pass my time and also get some weed for my self without have to search and pay enormous prices. I had almost no prior exprerience so take that on account you will see that i had make alot of silly mistakes but its a learning curve.
What i decide to do and what actually happened.
I started searching for a light to buy online i ended getting one of a random site i will try not to name my mistakes :p
I live in eu so the light would be in my house in a month or so. I then searched for seeds i bought some based on what i read and what i want from a plant and came up with 4 autoflower seeds from various seed company that i will mention later in my thread.
Then i had to get a tent and whatever i saw it will be needed inside to keep it simple and working.Didn't want to spend to much cause i had no idea if i could actually pull it through to the end. A close friend which we started the discussion and finally decide to make a try was actually doing almost the same thing without telling me. so he went and bought a 600hps with a simple reflector and a ballast 150E or so if i remember correctly.
So without him knowing i ordered a cheap led he had done the same thing but with an hps :p
Long story short i got a tent (1.5mx1.5mx2.0 i wanted a 1x1 but they didnt have available so i said why not more space) with a big fan pulling out air on the top with a speed controller a timer canna nutrients a bag of co2 cheap one 13 e or something like that. 25 liter pots of a random garden shop and also a random soil that was light enough for roots to penetrate that was my logic watching youtube and reading some random grow diaries etc.
When we returned we had the tent and everything in place but i didnt have a light on the other hand my friend had the light and nothing else so we decide to put the light inside my new tent and start the seeds in water and the whole process cause we were like kids playng with new toys.
Thats what we did and he actually got a tent and put my 1000w led inside. I will update on that later on that story/ market tech research.
So everything was going smooth except the major mistake to take seeds from that friend who thought they were autos but they werent .
so i planted 6 x 25 liters pot inside my tent afte a month or so i had a jungle i couldnt even see the plant on the other side that went for a couple of weeks and then i start notice that some plants were touching the light and has tip burns and bad things happening to them.Luckily by that time 3 of the 6 started early flowering signs and i was happy. But the tent was like an amazon jungle couldnt even water with ease.
So i make a hard decision over a night thinking without sleeping i had to murder the ones i got from my friend because i had no idea what strain it was or even if it was an autoflower.With a burden on my heart i demolished them and put them aside inside the tent and spread the remaining 4 around my tent. A day before that my led has arrived and gave it to my friend along with one of the pots on my tent.
So that left me with 3 plants on their first week of flowering ,i have a growdiary if u wanna check it almost done.

What i had inside my tent was :
Pyramid seeds - Auto tutanghamon
Nirvana seeds - Blueberry kush og
Greenhouse seeds - Big Bang auto (had two the one i gave to my friend to grow it inside his with my led)

What i got in terms of yield:
Tutanghamon around 200gr
Blueberry around 180gr
Big bang auto Still drying

Ok what i paid to get that grams
tent lights nutrients pots soil around 1300euro
electric cost 4 months was around 800e for everything working in there my pc tvs a whole house! lets say i paid arround 440e only for the equipmnent in the tent divided by 4 it costs 110e to run it on a 20/4 cycle for veg and 24/0 for flowering ( what i did at least).
So for a hobby its a no no my wife would kill me(lol) .
So i had to make a research on what to do this time to get it right .
Im actually a nerd overclocker for hobby and also a pc engineer math professor so ill try to keep the numbers and graphs as simple as i can also my english is a bit lets say rusty it sound better. :p
I started watching what led manufacturers stated on ther horticulture chips and that led me to the hunt of a more upgraded knowledge.
I saw some great results of ppl using samsungs diodes 301b/h(the same thing) according to samsung and greengenes gardens who i really like a cool tech guy he shares everything he knows and really know his stuff. also Dr bugbee from i think utah university who actually works for NASA and lighting association of usa or something like that.
So what i learned Cobs are good max yield 2.25 without external factors mentioned
and next on is boards better spread and probably coverage and then everyone is going to bars for better coverage and uniformity also they can control the beams more efficient from what i can understand. Its not my field ill tell you again but im a good researcher on other fields.
So Lets come to today
Main tech for me atm is quantum boards and photo boost bars also dan from green sunshine company has amazing results but i would say that for me to buy a lamp for my tent had to be cheap (not lame cheap arround 500-600e or even i would go to 750 if it had good coverage for what i want .
So lets start with what tech is available and what we transition to now.
Deep red -lost photons according to dr bugbee . they work like a supercharger on cars.
Uv - also has some nice peaks of photosynthetic light .
Samsung lm301h/b the latest white and the best buck for your money according to greengenes gardens.
So lets start sorry for all the brands i will mention dont have the knowledge to grade you properly from a tech perspective so i will give my honest buyer review at least for the moment we are talking.
We want whites of samsung 301b or h wont have difference but we need deep red uv if possible(i know it burns out faster dan)
So lets get it going
Hlg quantum board v2 red spec i think they are called is a solid choice with almost all available tech out there.
Optic also is going the way everyone is going slim 600h 480 h also announced
Lumatech the same as above
Fluence with spydrx
Greengenes gardens (pacific lights concepts) its the name of the company i think sorry if i wrote a model wrong.
That's amazing u can see everyone has a model with less concentrated expencive(probably) lens.
on the Eu side atm i actually send an email yesterday to hlg europe to learn if i can have their items in europe without paying tax etc . i will update with the answer as soon as i got one .I also found browsing on eu shop there is like 2 or 3 here not a lot to buy something decent.
I found another board company in eu thats called easygrow lighting and they had some models that i actually liked they have the tech that i want but they havent answer me atm for the vat etc. they actually have a controller i really liked and i think it would be a nice addition for every lighting company it has a probe reading temp/ humidity a wifi transmiter and comes with an app for light schedule and real time temp humidity inside your tent.
What i am searching atm is how to split the lights in my tent for better light distribution and what should i get .
lets say i go hlg - one big(hlg 550 r spec) on the center or 2(260 v2 Rspec) split over the 4 plants
or even a better idea to test atm is a lets say easygrow s800 + controller on the center for the vegetative stage and i can add the 250 hps or the 600 hps for flowering or even buy a second one to have it side by side.
Would love to hear your opinions! happy growing.
Sorry about my english! :p

First, :welcome: to the forum...

A dimming function on your lights during the veg stage can save you 50% or more during that stage of growth. Rather than having the lights at 60-90cm above the plants and lowering it to increase the intensity, keep it at 30cm above the canopy and use the dimmer to control the intensity at the canopy.

I've found that 315W from a good light is plenty for a 60cm X 120cm space. I harvested 440gm from two photo period plants using this setup. The plants were under a Mars Hydro TSL-2000 for the vegetative stage, and an eight COB 3000°K DIY array for flowering, A two tent setup will let you harvest photoperiod plants 4 - 5 times per year, it may be more for auto flowering plants.

Thanks for your answer . Things i didnt clarify im growing for hobby and personal use i got more than i actually need with this one thats why i dont want a 2 tent setup . but yes that would definetely would give me the more g/w if we look at it cost wisely! And i also had good results trying too keep on with the vpd diagram only to increase the breathe rate cause i was using co2 supplementation inside my tent until the first week of flowering! perpetual could also work miracles for ppl wanting to sell their final product.

what im trying to do is have 4 plants max production and max quality with the lower cost available for electricity while maintaining high ppfd across the tent without many hot spots.Also im working on a patent to completely eliminate the temps produced inside a tent converting them to air movement.will update on that when i have a prototype.

Welcome. My plans for my 5'X5' tent with 4'X4' scrog is to have a 500 watt Budget Red Spec 3000K board centered with 2 Budget(or other brand) 250 watt boards at 4000k on either side. I'll keep the wattage around 600 watts but have a full cycle grow room. I do clone and veg under 100 watt board.

I have limited ability to move plants around, which is one of the main reasons I use 60cm x 120cm tents. My first several grows were four plants with eight colas each, trained using NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method. I used an adjustable height screen to support the plants.

My initial harvests were low, and you have identified the reason. The light was concentrated in the center of the tent. The plants furthest from the center produced 40% less than those closest to the center of the light.

CO2 is only efficient if temperature and humidity are locked in a narrow range, and minimal air is extracted from the tent, around one air change per hour or less.

Most of us use pole mounted fans to move the air around in our grow areas. I would be very interested in one powered by heat differential. Somehow I don't this it will work well with LED lights as well as HID lights. It would need to operate on at most a 10°C temperature differential, lower would be preferred.

I have limited ability to move plants around, which is one of the main reasons I use 60cm x 120cm tents. My first several grows were four plants with eight colas each, trained using NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method. I used an adjustable height screen to support the plants.

My initial harvests were low, and you have identified the reason. The light was concentrated in the center of the tent. The plants furthest from the center produced 40% less than those closest to the center of the light.

CO2 is only efficient if temperature and humidity are locked in a narrow range, and minimal air is extracted from the tent, around one air change per hour or less.

Most of us use pole mounted fans to move the air around in our grow areas. I would be very interested in one powered by heat differential. Somehow I don't this it will work well with LED lights as well as HID lights. It would need to operate on at most a 10°C temperature differential, lower would be preferred.
its still very early on the design for me to really come with numbers i wanna do some test runs with the new led light keep a log etc and then i hope i can come with a diagram or more.in paper the numbers are good but nothing beats a good experiment. my baground is nerd overclocker math type of guy love numbers ! :) co2 actually with elevated values it seems to make the plants take a couple of celsius plus when growing without stress. thats why i originally used it cause i couldnt lower my temps enough inside my tent i was 28,7 -29.6 celsius inside with the hps. Also on the hps cooling system i wanna make a try to cool it externally in a hood without air moving inside and interupting the burn of the gas inside the bulb.from what i read and i cannot recall where atm when u put ur hps bulb inside a wind tunnel lets say the lower air temp can have an impact on how the lamp works. so im trying to pull that externally with the use of a module. will see how it works. :)

Back
Top Bottom