PH Calibration Help Needed

DustafaraiNL

420 Member
Hi All, hope all your buds are coming along nicely!
I am living in Amsterdam and i am struggling to find Distilled water in any stores(that are open)
to mix the calibration powder with. I can order it online but its not cheap and then shipping on top, I will if i have to of course.
My question is, can i calibrate with anything else? Demineralised water, Deionized water, maybe boiled tap water? Any help is appreciated
Dust

I am living in Amsterdam and i am struggling to find Distilled water to calibrate my PH pen in any stores(that are open). I can order it online but its not cheap and then shipping on top, I will if i have to of course.
My question is, can i calibrate with anything else? I have access to demineralised water, maybe boiling that? Any help is appreciated
Dust
PH pen needs to be calibrated with buffers not with just water. A 4.0 and a 10. Always calibrate to both sides of the scale always doing the highest buffer first. Go find anywhere they sale swimming pool stuff and check and see if they have it.

PH pen needs to be calibrated with buffers not with just water. A 4.0 and a 10. Always calibrate to both sides of the scale always doing the highest buffer first. Go find anywhere they sale swimming pool stuff and check and see if they have it.
Hey thanks, i do have the powder calibration to make the solution. My issue is that i do not have distilled water to start with and everything i read states that this is necessary before adding the solution and to rinse in between 4-7.

I am living in Amsterdam and i am struggling to find Distilled water to calibrate my PH pen in any stores(that are open). I can order it online but its not cheap and then shipping on top, I will if i have to of course.
My question is, can i calibrate with anything else? I have access to demineralised water, maybe boiling that? Any help is appreciated
Dust
imo yes, ph, aka the potential amount of hydrogen ions. so imo does not matter, it is just a different colour;) but you need to ph that calibration water

buy calibration powder packs and calibrate using powder in water solution. you use 250ml of 25° c water and mix packet in then calibrate. i recommend this way since its cheap or buy ph 7 and 4 for calibrating, but in canada its like 20$ each bottle at my hydro store but you get 500ml or so

buy calibration powder packs and calibrate using powder in water solution. you use 250ml of 25° c water and mix packet in then calibrate. i recommend this way since its cheap or buy ph 7 and 4 for calibrating, but in canada its like 20$ each bottle at my hydro store but you get 500ml or so
Hey thanks for the reply. My question is about the water that i am adding the powder to, i have the sachets. I have read that i need to add it to distilled water only?

t

where do you live? are you on city water? if so city water is close to 7 and very low ppm(close enough to distilled after sitting for 24hrs.)
When I lived in the city my water was pH 8+ and my ppm was 800. Letting it sit overnight might dissipate chlorine but it does absolutely nothing to either of these numbers.
There’s a reason it says to use distilled water. If you’re having a hard time getting it, your only 2 solutions may be to distill your own on the stove, or buy pH buffer premixed liquid online.

Do they not have bottled water at the grocery store? That will work fine.

When I lived in the city my water was pH 8+ and my ppm was 800. Letting it sit overnight might dissipate chlorine but it does absolutely nothing to either of these numbers.
There’s a reason it says to use distilled water. If you’re having a hard time getting it, your only 2 solutions may be to distill your own on the stove, or buy pH buffer premixed liquid online.
fair enough, surprised
I am living in Amsterdam and i am struggling to find Distilled water in any stores(that are open)
to mix the calibration powder with. I can order it online but its not cheap and then shipping on top, I will if i have to of course.
My question is, can i calibrate with anything else? Demineralised water, Deionized water, maybe boiled tap water? Any help is appreciated
Dust
any rivers near by
They have mineral water and demineralised water but not distilled water, which is readily available in other countries
demineralized is distilled water:)

Out of the tap my ppm is around 380 so not too bad. With PH liquid it indicates the ph is 8.5+ but never tested with a calibrated ph pen. Demineralized and distilled water is different but i think that is looking like my best bet at the moment

Demineralized sounds like distilled or RO. Should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom