Phenotypes GDP?

PFirefly

Hello all. I have a friend that has 2 Granddaddy Purps going at the moment. Both from seed and both started at the same time. There were 4 but 2 were male. The 2 left still growing: one is short and bushy and female and the other is getting taller with a very bulky main stem and showing no sign whatsoever of flowering yet. I didn't know what to tell him other than I would try and find out if there are different pheno's for this strain. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings to all and thank-you,

PFirefly :Namaste:

Hello all. I have a friend that has 2 Granddaddy Purps going at the moment. Both from seed and both started at the same time. There were 4 but 2 were male. The 2 left still growing: one is short and bushy and female and the other is getting taller with a very bulky main stem and showing no sign whatsoever of flowering yet. I didn't know what to tell him other than I would try and find out if there are different pheno's for this strain. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Blessings to all and thank-you,

PFirefly :Namaste:

Is this the real strain or one of the many fakes?

You can only get the genuine article in seed form from Ken Estes company that sells to retailers like HERBIES. Before Ken started producing seeds, the only way to get the genuine original GDP strain was via a clone of the original plant. That's what I have.

I can help with the real strain, but can't really comment if your seeds are one of the thousands of pretend GDP varieties being sold out there these days. No way to if you have the legit strain unless it has Kens name on the package,

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Let's assume it is real. I am also growing GDP and have no idea where it came from. But if it is legit .... I would also like to know what to expect. Some info on the phenos would be great.

Thank-you both for your replies. Yes, they are the real article. Came from Ken. Also the tall one from what I was told did turn female. I went and looked and the tall one looks like a tall "kush". Any more help will be appreciate it.

Thank-you and blessings to all,

PFirefly

Check out my own grow journals linked in my sig, specifically the GDP Clones Start to Finish and my 2012 Harvest Recap.

As a rule, GDP plants are NOT tall and lanky but instead are short in stature plants (4-6 feet Max at flowering time) with a very bushy and thick veg growth. If you are not seeing that kind of appearance then that plant is likely NOT a GDP plant.

The other important thing to remember about the real GDP strain is that it needs cold overnight temps below 45 degrees F in the last few weeks of flower to fully turn purple. The colder the overnight temps above 32 F the darker purple the plants will turn.

Good luck with your grow! :)

Thanks Bro

From discussing phenos with my mentor who has been growing 30 years, GDP has two phenos. Columnar and bushy. The taste, high, etc. the same.

For esthetics I prefer the bushy one.

From what I understand they will turn purple if set out in colder temperatures. I have one about to finish but the night temp here in So. Cal with the Santa Ana's is in the low 50's. I think I read they need temps in the 40's to turn purple.
I agree though that even green it isn't bad. Certainly tastes purple.

Back
Top Bottom