Plant probs - 1st timer - Hydro - Coco

TrevSunyata6

Suspected underwatering symptoms and maybe a touch of nute burn
Happens every other day, some leaves look like they are starting to dry up, some even falling off when moved. Others are getting the burned tips, even the very top of a lot of new growth. I even watered down the last feeding a bit.
I give 2qt every other day, should probably move to every day but soil still feels a bit moist.
I out grew a 5 gal at the end of a long veg, switched to a 7 gal when flower initiated. Within a few days I had roots growing out the top and bottom of soilless medium. Roots did not look rotted from what I saw during transplant.
I'm growing 1 plant SOG hydro in Coco/perlite, distilled water water, light FF tiger boom, medium potassium silicate and medium cal-mag used to feed, ph'd in the low to mid 6's. Warm white LED with a bit of red and blue.
xz4z.jpg
kehkl2.jpg
ao3wjb.jpg
2eq9isk.jpg
155i1px.jpg

Purple stems are most likely from a mag def a few weeks before flower, also caused some of the more yellow edge damage in pics, the bleached tips and light brown splotches are what is new

Growing in coco you have to treat it like hydro PH at or around the 5.8 mark. Also your leaves look super dark green and your tips are quite crispy leading me to suspect nitrogen burn. Change one thing at a time, but definitely reread your mixing schedule. Also, did you hide your perlite.....lol?

Growing in coco you have to treat it like hydro PH at or around the 5.8 mark. Also your leaves look super dark green and your tips are quite crispy leading me to suspect nitrogen burn. Change one thing at a time, but definitely reread your mixing schedule. Also, did you hide your perlite.....lol?

Yes, tried to cover up the roots a bit more

How much do you think I can cut down on the tiger without getting trace mineral deficiencies? It's something like 2-8-4 or something, I use cal mag and potasium every other water, I think one of the others has a low nitrogen number and nothing else so I try to use less and already light on the FF so I'll try to keep the supplement with extra nitrogen to a minimum

2 qt is not enough water. You need to water coco to at least 10 percent run off. If you dont ypu can get nute lockout and possible over fertilization. Flush it really well with 5 gallons of pure water wait a day and do it again. I agree, look at your feed schedule again and start o er. It is almost impossible to o er water coco. I run mine on a reciculating wayer system that is on a timer, 15 minutes 3 times a week and have no issues.

2 qt is not enough water. You need to water coco to at least 10 percent run off. If you dont ypu can get nute lockout and possible over fertilization. Flush it really well with 5 gallons of pure water wait a day and do it again. I agree, look at your feed schedule again and start o er. It is almost impossible to o er water coco. I run mine on a reciculating wayer system that is on a timer, 15 minutes 3 times a week and have no issues.

When I put in 1 gal I get 2 qt run off, when I put in 2 qt I get a small puddle in my tub so does 3 qt sounds good? I've been reading places saying run off isn't needed except during flush. I've been trying to avoid having to empty my tub often cus it's difficult taking my plant out of the box to dump the extra to keep my humidity down, gets to 70 precent after water and hard time getting below 60, any suggestions?

When I put in 1 gal I get 2 qt run off, when I put in 2 qt I get a small puddle in my tub so does 3 qt sounds good? I've been reading places saying run off isn't needed except during flush. I've been trying to avoid having to empty my tub often cus it's difficult taking my plant out of the box to dump the extra to keep my humidity down, gets to 70 precent after water and hard time getting below 60, any suggestions?
Show us a picture of your tub set up with the box so we can get a visual of what you're talking about, to me it sounds as easy as putting a drain in your tub and draining the excess water off to keep your humidity down.

Show us a picture of your tub set up with the box so we can get a visual of what you're talking about, to me it sounds as easy as putting a drain in your tub and draining the excess water off to keep your humidity down.
The tub is what it drains into. I use a 7 gal bucket with holes inside a 5 gal to keep it raised, 5 gal has holes to drain into tub but then the tub has to be dumped.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/829/KIMG03651.JPG
The holes at the bottom are on opposite sides, then there are two holes cut underneath on opposite sides perpendicular to the first set. Provides good drainage, but I couldn't find a pump that worked to pump it out. Tried manual house suction and a aquarium pump but neither worked so I've been just picking my plant up and dumping the tub out
That picture is right after watering
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/KIMG0366.JPG
That is 20 min later after 2 qt having given 2qt yesterday and 2 qt 2 days before that. It showed under water symptoms on day 2 when I skipped a day, so 2qt daily send to be doing it. I did put another 2 qt in this time to today a gallon to be sure I have enough run off, will flush with 5 gal tomorrow
I put a little at a time circling the plant clock wise

I just removed my buckets from the drain tube to dump water, my roots that come down into the second bucket appear brown, will watering with beneficial microbes help or any recommendations?

Dont run 2 buckets. I suspect roots are sitting in water. Put the one bucket on a brick or a step stool to raise it up. Drill a small hole in your drain tub and put it on the stool and the plant bucket in the tub. Put another tub or bowl, anything to catch the water when you get run off, under the hole in the tub. Dont worry about the roots coming out of the holea in the bucket, just cut the roots off with some scissors and they will be fine. Next run switch to fabric pots and you won't have to worry about them.

Dont run 2 buckets. I suspect roots are sitting in water. Put the one bucket on a brick or a step stool to raise it up. Drill a small hole in your drain tub and put it on the stool and the plant bucket in the tub. Put another tub or bowl, anything to catch the water when you get run off, under the hole in the tub. Dont worry about the roots coming out of the holea in the bucket, just cut the roots off with some scissors and they will be fine. Next run switch to fabric pots and you won't have to worry about them.
Oh, no it's ok, hard to tell in the picture but the bottom 5 gal bucket has holes to drain into the tub, no water stays in unless I don't dump the tub. It just acts to lift the 7 gal a few inches up. I was letting it sit in a small puddle before that's how I got minor (hoping) root rot, but now I'm taking care to dump it

Back
Top Bottom