Plant rotting away? Need urgent advice

kanvict

So this just appeared on one of my plants today and I can't seem to figure out what it could be. Is it root rot or has my plant just outgrown its pot? I'm in a smart pot so transplanting won't be an issue.

CAM00182.jpg

CAM001851.jpg

Re: Plant rotting away? Need urgent advice.

Fungal/pathogen stem (canker) problem might want to have a look at information regarding this - Phoma herbarum, Phoma exigua

List of hemp diseases - Wikipedia

The only other one i've come across which described similar symptoms as shown in the pic was Phoma Strasseri which was mentioned on a mint plant... fungal pathogens can effect other species of plants as well !

The PDF journal where i found the info suggest the problem can be out grown & the plant just needs to be kept in good health to prevent further problems...

P.s Trim off infected stem at nearest node, sterilize scissors afterwards. You may want observe plants for several days to see if it spreads tho.

That's weird because my humidity never goes up above 50%... it's usually in the 30's, right now at 23 lol. I'm gonna cut off the branch right now, should I cut off both the "infected" branches? Anything else I need to add?

Ye cut both effected stems off at the node it appears this type of fungal pathogen prefers younger growth with the more mature growth being much harder to resist infection.

I would more likely treat the plants with a fungicide to help prevent further infection & would suggest a natural/organic product for this...(Note - pathogens can develop resistances)

Well grow room RH seems fine... do you know what the humidity is like when the lights are off ?

You will more than likely notice a spike in RH in the lights off period coupled with the cooling effect temperature drop this may all play part in providing ideal grounds for fungal attacks or you might of been unlucky & come in contact with an infected plant carrying the spores home with you ?

I cut off the branch, going to cut the second one today when the lights come on. Yea I have a wireless humidity / temp monitor so I monitor my temps / humidity all night. Night time with my de-humidifier running, humidity stays at around 40% sometimes will spike to 45%, temperatures at 72 -74 at night and between 78-83 during the day (mostly around 78-80 but the plants do get a lot of variation / randomness ; mimics nature so I let it be). I try to maintain perfect environment day and night so have invested in a humidifier / dehumidifer. Watering with distilled water only and FFOF nutes every other watering (I did full strength last last watering thinking I was seeing deficiencies which was probably salt buildup, anyways, flushed afterwards down to 200 PPM). Plants grew like crazy after the flush, some leaves were still dying after the flush but new growth just accelerated massively (even where the old leaves were dying) so I didn't worry too much.

Going to go get some fungicide today, any recommendations for a good organic one? I have NEEM Oil which I use every 3 days, I thought that fought fungus?

CAM001861.jpg

Ye neem oil normally does work on fungus/molds etc

Some form of fungus fall into the pathogen class basically means it spreads disease into the host plant !

Pathogens over time can develop or become resistant against some fungicides !

It may suggest it has a tolerance against neem oil by now ?

Ye neem oil normally does work on fungus/molds etc

Some form of fungus fall into the pathogen class basically means it spreads disease into the host plant !

Pathogens over time can develop or become resistant against some fungicides !

It may suggest it has a tolerance against neem oil by now ?

So I've been spraying with Neem and it seems the canker is under control. I cut off the branch that wilted and died, but the two other branches that were "rotting" away from the Fungus are not progressively getting worst like the other one (which died within a day). Should I leave these two branches alone and continue treating with Neem Oil?

Is there anything else I can add (e.g., H202) to help my plant fight the disease a little bit? I don't know why, but it literally hurts me inside seeing my plants in pain like this (not because it will affect my yield, but I've grown really attached to them... I don't even want to chop them down they're so beautiful :p).

So I've been spraying with Neem and it seems the canker is under control. I cut off the branch that wilted and died, but the two other branches that were "rotting" away from the Fungus are not progressively getting worst like the other one (which died within a day). Should I leave these two branches alone and continue treating with Neem Oil?

Is there anything else I can add (e.g., H202) to help my plant fight the disease a little bit? I don't know why, but it literally hurts me inside seeing my plants in pain like this (not because it will affect my yield, but I've grown really attached to them... I don't even want to chop them down they're so beautiful :p).

This appears to be good news indeed :thumb:

I'm little old school when dealing with diseased/fungal effected plant material & that is normally the removal of the plant limb being destroyed with fire for good measures, ya don't want to put that sort of stuff on your compost heap !

I would monitor progress of the other two limbs if it spreads chop em off... its the best thing you can do for the girls as fungus do produce spores which could mean the problem spreading, so its your call to whether you keep these limbs or not ?

How ever with the neem oil halting progression i'd watch them for a few more days to see how effective it is working before making my mind up, if it spreads whip em off.

As a precaution i would treat all plant stems in case spores which may off spread already, ye i'm sorry that is its pain staking job but being careful is a good practise to follow with such case's.

NOTE - After the grow is finished dispose of soil/compost in case off spore contamination, clean entire grow area down & wash pre filter of the carbon filter.

H2o2 ye i know what is but never used it, so its a bit hard for me to say with out further research at the moment.

This appears to be good news indeed :thumb:

I'm little old school when dealing with diseased/fungal effected plant material & that is normally the removal of the plant limb being destroyed with fire for good measures, ya don't want to put that sort of stuff on your compost heap !

I would monitor progress of the other two limbs if it spreads chop em off... its the best thing you can do for the girls as fungus do produce spores which could mean the problem spreading, so its your call to whether you keep these limbs or not ?

How ever with the neem oil halting progression i'd watch them for a few more days to see how effective it is working before making my mind up, if it spreads whip em off.

As a precaution i would treat all plant stems in case spores which may off spread already, ye i'm sorry that is its pain staking job but being careful is a good practise to follow with such case's.

NOTE - After the grow is finished dispose of soil/compost in case off spore contamination, clean entire grow area down & wash pre filter of the carbon filter.

H2o2 ye i know what is but never used it, so its a bit hard for me to say with out further research at the moment.

It's my first grow so I'm not beating myself over it. I got some "Nature's Cure" copper soap from Miracle Grow and still have the Neem Oil as well; going to use the soap and possibly chop off the branches that are infected if they've gotten worst. Thanks for all the awesome advice! I also have a pretty powerful air filter running (HEPA certified) to capture mold spores etc in the air.

I'll update the thread today after lights come on.

It's my first grow so I'm not beating myself over it. I got some "Nature's Cure" copper soap from Miracle Grow and still have the Neem Oil as well; going to use the soap and possibly chop off the branches that are infected if they've gotten worst. Thanks for all the awesome advice! I also have a pretty powerful air filter running (HEPA certified) to capture mold spores etc in the air.

I'll update the thread today after lights come on.

I honestly don't know how this happened ... I was so careful all the time -- but being a smoker myself, I don't like to stress myself out because the stress doesn't fix the problem :), so plan of attack is to monitor the other two branches (I'll actually post a pic when the lights come on), keep treating with Neem and Copper Soap until harvest.

My RTU Neem Oil and Nature's Cure Copper Soap both say "for organic gardening" and they both also say they can be used up until harvest. Should I be using these two EVERY DAY? It says to use on a 7 day schedule...

Ye i'm not total sure how it got their either & must admit being a resident of :420: for some 2 years now its the first time i've come across the problem on cannabis, i think !

How ever it doe's appear that the fungus in question has localized hot spots through out the united states where it is most prevalent... & across the globe.

Mmm back to the fungicide, i would follow guide lines of application & weekly should be fine... no real point of over doing it, as for treatment duration perhaps for a couple of weeks or in till the end of veg cycle.

I shall look forwards to the updates, its a learning curve for both of us & those who are following the subject at hand :Namaste:

Ye i'm not total sure how it got their either & must admit being a resident of :420: for some 2 years now its the first time i've come across the problem on cannabis, i think !

How ever it doe's appear that the fungus in question has localized hot spots through out the united states where it is most prevalent... & across the globe.

Mmm back to the fungicide, i would follow guide lines of application & weekly should be fine... no real point of over doing it, as for treatment duration perhaps for a couple of weeks or in till the end of veg cycle.

I shall look forwards to the updates, its a learning curve for both of us & those who are following the subject at hand :Namaste:

This happened right after I flushed... I'm not even sure its Fungus because the rest of the plant looks healthy. Could it just be due to over watering (water lesion) that caused the first branch to collapse but left the other two with only minimal damage?

This happened right after I flushed... I'm not even sure its Fungus because the rest of the plant looks healthy. Could it just be due to over watering (water lesion) that caused the first branch to collapse but left the other two with only minimal damage?

Over watering wouldn't do that in less over saturation/water logging/standing in water was prolonged causing anaerobic conditions with in the soil this would manifest in root rot, stem rot at the base of the plant stem & doesn't effect upper limbs.

Lesion is just another term used to explain similar problems.

You will be surprised on what fungal spores are in the air & they are just floating about looking for the right conditions to germinate in, it even could of been in your soil/compost used & the recent flushing may of promoted ideal conditions to bring the fungus to life.

Over watering wouldn't do that in less over saturation/water logging/standing in water was prolonged causing anaerobic conditions with in the soil this would manifest in root rot, stem rot at the base of the plant stem & doesn't effect upper limbs.

Lesion is just another term used to explain similar problems.

You will be surprised on what fungal spores are in the air & they are just floating about looking for the right conditions to germinate in, it even could of been in your soil/compost used & the recent flushing may of promoted ideal conditions to bring the fungus to life.

So I cut off those two branches yesterday and treated the wounds with H202. My night time humidity does rise to 50% I noticed even with my dehumidifier running ... the thing is the dehumidifier is too big to fit into my closet so it sits in my room instead and is not able to bring down the humidity massively

You think I should invest in some DampRid to control the moisture INSIDE the tent? Would it work to lower the humidity from 50 to around 35-40 at night since my tent is so small?

Your RH is just fine during the lights off period :high-five:

Its normally above 80% RH & prolonged when problems may occur !

Its also pretty natural for RH to rise when the lights are off & you can see this on most good internet weather sites which display RH during the day & night, unfortunately i can not explain why it does this at the moment as that particular bit of knowledge has escaped me for the time being ?

I know i've come across it but putting it in my own words is another matter all together...

I wouldn't worry about your RH to much even tho it would appear a little low for veg growth, i may even suggest putting the dehumidifier on a timer switch.

Myself my own RH varies a little during lights on between 40% to 50% with the lights off its around 60% to 70%, that doesn't present a problem for myself or had any yet (soil grow).

The only time i had issue's was when i was messing around with some hempy buckets & inert growing medium perlite/vermiculite mix & my lights off RH peaked at 90% that ended up with a bud rot problem & lost aprox 30% plus of my harvest... my bad luck for not checking RH early when playing around with a new method of growing.

Which was largely a hydroponic method, the extra water used caused the RH spike & i suspect many hydro growers do use a dehumidifier to counter this problem.

Note - The only negative thing i've noticed about dehumidifiers is that they do create a fair amount of heat which may raise temps a little & extra electric consumption added to your monthly bill !

I don't think the extra cost bothers most growers when safe guarding their crop from problems but the extra heat generated may require better ventilation.

The same volume of air at say 70° can hold a larger amount of moisture than it can hold at say 40°. So assuming that the actual moisture content stays the same then the relative humidity of the air, which is the ratio of the actual amount of moisture in the air to the saturated amount, goes up when the temperatures go down. Personal experience has shown to me that it is about a 1% change in humidity for every 1° inverse change in temperature, so with no other changes to the environment, i.e. air pressure, ~50% RH at 90° becomes ~80% RH at 60°. The dewpoint is the temperature at which the air is fully saturated with moisture, 100% RH, which then begins to condense out of the air. Lower temperatures do not increase the RH, for obvious reasons, and the RH drops ~1% for every ~1° increase in temperature.

Back
Top Bottom