Police Go To Pot, Arrest 29

PFlynn

Marijuana worth an estimated $1 million, bundles of $2 million in cash, assault rifles, three grenade launchers and brass knuckles told the story: Dealing in illegal drugs is a big, dangerous business.

And with the 15 raids and 29 arrests they made yesterday, a team of aboriginal, provincial and federal police served notice that they've made a serious dent in what they described as a multimillion-dollar marijuana pipeline from Mohawk reserves near Montreal to the United States.

"We're sending a message," said Gorden McGregor, head of the Quebec First Nations Chiefs of Police Association. "Drugs are not acceptable in our communities, clear and simple. It comes down to us. If we don't stop this, who will?"

Along with nearly 115 kilograms of pot, police also seized 10 luxury vehicles, including high-end SUVs and at least one sports car.

"Not just everyone has these in their homes." Dwayne Zacharie, chief of the peacekeepers in Kahnawake, said of the seized AK-47 and M-16 assault rifles.

One of those arrested was Daniel Dwayne Delisle Jr., 43, of Kahnawake. Police allege he led the ring that took pot grown in Mascouche and Chateauguay near Montreal and shipped it to the U.S. through the porous international border inside the Akwesasne Mohawk reserve, which straddles the St. Lawrence River and the borders of Ontario, Quebec and New York State.

The drugs were smuggled by boat in the summer and by trucks and snowmobile in the winter, said Sgt. Michael Harvey of the RCMP's customs and excise section.

Some smugglers stuffed the marijuana in hockey bags, Harvey said. "They just bring it in through St. Regis, Quebec and along the main road in Akwesasne. It's a high volume operation. ( Smaller ) arrests are made all the time" on both the Canadian and the U.S. side, he added.

The pot's street value in the U.S. is double what it is in Canada, Harvey said.

Zacharie said there was some unease due to the arrests in Kahnawake, where many of the 8,000 residents are extended family members. "We still have to live with the fallout from this," he said. "I want to make sure the community is safe for my family and everyone else's family."

Of the 22 men and seven women arrested, ages 23 to 60, eight live in Kahnawake, 10 in Akwesasne, one in the Kanesatake Mohawk community near Oka, and 10 in Montreal.

They face charges of gangsterism, drug exportation, illegal weapons possession, drug possession, drug trafficking, conspiracy to traffic drugs, conspiracy to export drugs and drug manufacturing. Police are still searching for two more suspected smugglers.

Three hundred police officers, including the Kahnawake and Akwesasne peacekeepers, worked with RCMP and Surete du Quebec on what was known as Operation Cancun, since January 2007. Officers with the Ontario Provincial Police and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency also assisted.

Source: Montreal Gazette (CN QU)
Copyright: 2008 The Gazette

Three hundred police officers, including the Kahnawake and Akwesasne peacekeepers, worked with RCMP and Surete du Quebec on what was known as Operation Cancun, since January 2007. Officers with the Ontario Provincial Police and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency also assisted.

This is what is bullshit. Why the hell are my tax dollars going to enforce drug laws outside my country.

and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency also assisted.

This is what is bullshit. Why the hell are my tax dollars going to enforce drug laws outside my country.
If you want my two cents.. the MAN is too lazy to grow his own. Plain and simple. Proof of that; to thoroughly "destroy" said medicine they had to pull an armed robbery for every JBD, Chong, Zong,etc.. available in the U.S..

Smoke some.:bongrip:
S. FL

I have heard it said, that years ago, some of the deputy sheriffs has the finest available for a few close friends. Those that were on pawnshop patrol also did very well.
For years, in Costa Rica, one might encounter fireman trying to sell jewelry and watches they picked up while helping their fellow man.
It must just be an urban legend.

I got caught with a quarter bag by a local cop back in the late 70's, and at the time pot was de-criminalized in NY. Usually when you got caught (it happened a few times!) the cop would just dump it on the ground right there. This time, he just stuck it in his pocket and told me to get lost. Maybe because this time it was some thai stick, it was too good to go into the dirt instead of his pipe! And I have smoked with law enforcement in the past, they just wanted to keep it quiet and off-duty.

" It matters not who casts the votes, It only matters who counts them. " J. Stalin

Too bad there isn't a way of posting the DEA employee's photos over the net, let everyone in the community know what they do to peaceful cannabis smokers.

Sure would be nice to know who was after us peacefull pot heads. That would be great to have pics of the DEA agents.

Bust like these really slow things down, people get scared. I'm sure all over NY people seen a decrease is weed, not saying everywhere but, cities. Every few years they move in and get a good bust, slowing things for a week or so, new people move in to that guys position, not mentioning the other hundreds of people doing the same thing. Think they'd realize its never going to stop by now. Supply and demand is a powerful thing.

Back
Top Bottom