Pollen application question

As far as when to apply it, I have tried applying right as soon as flower starts when there's just a few pistils, where I produced about 25 seeds. When I waited a full week into bloom and had little puff balls of pistils, I ended up with about 250 seeds on each bud
This stage look good to be hit?

289B4EF7-650D-4280-9B38-B1176C8998F0.jpeg

AC7C25C8-82E0-4C6B-AAA9-B8169860C448.jpeg

Your window is open.
You could hit them now and then I'm a week or so again.
Alright I hit 4 plants this morning before I went to work, the remaining couple I want to hit are in the tent but got started after these ones (not ready just forming budsites) I’ll dust them for the first time when I dust these the 4 from this morning a second time next week. That’s the plan at least.

Wanted to thank everybody for the help- pollen ended up not being viable so - unfortunately I just have a tent of plants covered in flour- no change - pollination was a failure. Thanks again all- back to the drawing board not sure where I’ll go from here.

....pollen ended up not being viable so - unfortunately I just have a tent of plants covered in flour- no change - pollination was a failure....
This comment caught my attention. The buds were dusted with the flour & pollen combination on Thursday so why give up today, about 72 hours later. The fertilization process between the moment the pollen hits the stigma/pistils till the male genetics merge with the female genetics at the other end of the pistil is only a couple of minutes. Then it is a waiting game.

I am under the impression that it will be a couple of weeks before the gardener will be able to tell that the seeds are actually growing. Then it might be a bit more time before there are signs that the seed will actually mature to the point where it could germinate.

All is not lost. Give it time. Otherwise, if the project was a failure and there are no seeds you will still have a crop of mature buds to harvest.

This comment caught my attention. The buds were dusted with the flour & pollen combination on Thursday so why give up today, about 72 hours later. The fertilization process between the moment the pollen hits the stigma/pistils till the male genetics merge with the female genetics at the other end of the pistil is only a couple of minutes. Then it is a waiting game.

I am under the impression that it will be a couple of weeks before the gardener will be able to tell that the seeds are actually growing. Then it might be a bit more time before there are signs that the seed will actually mature to the point where it could germinate.

All is not lost. Give it time. Otherwise, if the project was a failure and there are no seeds you will still have a crop of mature buds to harvest.
The breeder also believes it failed. It was feminized pollen, and we’re not sure why because it worked for him but from point a to point b something happened. Thanks for the well wishes.

alright to report back- I got a whopping 5 seeds from the first plant I dusted- none of which germinated. None of the other plants produced seed, and I have given up on the feminized for a bit.(second failed attempt/waste of 6-8 months) Currently about to flip my my male and then put the females in with him- I’ve heard 7-10 days the male goes in earlier - any suggestions?

I put males in 2 weeks before females.

Well you got 5 seeds which is more than you expected, right?
Now I have a feeling and I hope I am wrong. Did you allow the seeds that did form, at least a month to dry (or whatever) before trying to germinate?
I go 2/20 ish if I germinate within the first month and generally those 2 are not great plants.
If I wait a month (leaving the seeds in a box somewhere on a shelf, nothing special I do here. They may occasionally get hit by an hour or two sun a day on that shelf). After that month I get close to 100%. Like 19/20 or 20/20. Then I store them for long term.
Point is they really need that resting period. They may very well have been viable if you planted immediately. Sorry man.
About 20 plus years breeding and I have only just started with fem pollen.
Good luck

I put males in 2 weeks before females.

Well you got 5 seeds which is more than you expected, right?
Now I have a feeling and I hope I am wrong. Did you allow the seeds that did form, at least a month to dry (or whatever) before trying to germinate?
I go 2/20 ish if I germinate within the first month and generally those 2 are not great plants.
If I wait a month (leaving the seeds in a box somewhere on a shelf, nothing special I do here. They may occasionally get hit by an hour or two sun a day on that shelf). After that month I get close to 100%. Like 19/20 or 20/20. Then I store them for long term.
Point is they really need that resting period. They may very well have been viable if you planted immediately. Sorry man.
About 20 plus years breeding and I have only just started with fem pollen.
Good luck
I let them dry about 3 weeks, maybe I should have waited longer.

Find it really does help. Some need as long as 3 months. In the wild the seeds develop, the plant dies and whatever seed there is either falls, gets chowed by birds or, washed somewhere in the rains.
If those seeds didn't have the time delay, they would sprout in winter which doesn't give them the best chance. They stay dormant until the weather warms up and rains begin and then they go on to live their best lives. Thriving in ideal conditions. Plants look super healthy. Well done

Find it really does help. Some need as long as 3 months. In the wild the seeds develop, the plant dies and whatever seed there is either falls, gets chowed by birds or, washed somewhere in the rains.
If those seeds didn't have the time delay, they would sprout in winter which doesn't give them the best chance. They stay dormant until the weather warms up and rains begin and then they go on to live their best lives. Thriving in ideal conditions. Plants look super healthy. Well done
I think I’m going to try and harvest some of the pollen to store for future projects- any tips on collecting?

Back
Top Bottom