Pot size for a single plant in flower, 250 watt LED, 3x3, soil

chib

Hey all

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on pot size for single plant grows.
Currently I have her in a 7 gallon pot and she is about 14 inches tall, If I up pot to a 15 gallon I will lose only about 4 inches of height but gain 8 gallons of root space. She's already needing watering every other day so I figure I should probably pot up before it turns into multiple times a day.
It's an indica dominant strain called black dosi fire btw.

Hey all

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on pot size for single plant grows.
Currently I have her in a 7 gallon pot and she is about 14 inches tall, If I up pot to a 15 gallon I will lose only about 4 inches of height but gain 8 gallons of root space. She's already needing watering every other day so I figure I should probably pot up before it turns into multiple times a day.
It's an indica dominant strain called black dosi fire btw.
A lot depends on how long you plan to Veg, Top & Train. You can easily fill a 3 x 3 tent with 1 plant in a 5 gal. pot with a 5 week veg & then flip to 12/12. That plant that's 14" tall now will be 3' tall by time it's done if you flipped today. You're at a good height for SCROG if you have a net & want to pull maximum yield.
A 15 gal. pot would be overkill in my book. I'd only use a 15 gal. if I were growing outdoors. I did 2 grows with 10 gal. pots & plants got too big for the tent & were hell to deal with. They got about 3 - 4 feet wide & 5-6 feet tall & wanted to keep falling over which resulted in harvesting too early just to get the plant out of my grow area.
My point is, it doesn't take a bigger pot to fill a 3 x 3. Training alone will do that.

A lot depends on how long you plan to Veg, Top & Train. You can easily fill a 3 x 3 tent with 1 plant in a 5 gal. pot with a 5 week veg & then flip to 12/12. That plant that's 14" tall now will be 3' tall by time it's done if you flipped today. You're at a good height for SCROG if you have a net & want to pull maximum yield.
A 15 gal. pot would be overkill in my book. I'd only use a 15 gal. if I were growing outdoors. I did 2 grows with 10 gal. pots & plants got too big for the tent & were hell to deal with. They got about 3 - 4 feet wide & 5-6 feet tall & wanted to keep falling over which resulted in harvesting too early just to get the plant out of my grow area.
My point is, it doesn't take a bigger pot to fill a 3 x 3. Training alone will do that.
Thanks for the reply, I will leave her in the 7 gallon :)

Depends on what medium you're in.
If you are feeding with bottled nutrients then you can get by with 7 gallon FABRIC pot.
If you are doing a Living Organic Soil then 15 gallon fabric pot is absolute minimum size.

And IMO since you're only growing one plant and I assume you want the biggest healthiest plant with the largest yield then I would do the largest pot you can manage.
I am in a 2x5 space and use two 20 gallon fabric pots, only because two 30 gallon ones wouldn't fit.

Bigger the pot the easier the grow, bigger roots = bigger fruits

Back
Top Bottom