Powder mildew baking soda

vaping

please help me i grow out doors in hawaii and it is raining daily off and on. my plants seem to start the mold during groth stage and gets worse until i harvest ,usually early to minamise the buds being covered. I just sprayed a blackberry with a thick solution of water and baking soda. two days later i sprayed water to wash powder off and the plant got burns all over. i think it will survive though. I cant tell yet if it worked on the mold . any ideas on what to do?

Re: powder mildew bakeing soda

how much baking soda did you use per gallon of water?i know by spraying baking soda on the foilage it changes the ph levels so it cant grow on the leaves.maybe u used to much and burnt them?

FYI pictures would help out much more.

Re: powder mildew bakeing soda

please help me i grow out doors in hawaii and it is raining daily off and on. my plants seem to start the mold during groth stage and gets worse until i harvest ,usually early to minamise the buds being covered. I just sprayed a blackberry with a thick solution of water and baking soda. two days later i sprayed water to wash powder off and the plant got burns all over. i think it will survive though. I cant tell yet if it worked on the mold . any ideas on what to do?

Baking Soda Recipe for Controlling Powdery Mildew on Plants
A Home Remedy for Fungus Diseases

Baking soda makes an inexpensive control for powdery mildew on plants. The baking soda fungicide is mostly effective as a preventative, offering only minimal benefits after your plants have become infected. Weekly spraying of susceptible plants during humid or damp weather can greatly reduce the incidence of powdery mildew in your garden.

To control powdery mildew on plants, mix together:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water
Do not store unused mixture. While this recipe has been known to be effective, it can burn the leaves of some plants. It is recommended that you water your infected plants well a couple of days before applying this mixture, and don't apply it in full sun. Try on a small area first, to test the plant's response before spraying the entire plant.
Some recipes also recommend applying 1 tablespoon of ultralight horticultural oil to the mixture. The oil coats and smothers the fungi. The soap is added to help the mix spread and cling to the leaf surface. Be sure to apply to lower leaf surfaces as well.

Researchers are still studying the effects of using a baking soda mixture on other fungal diseases such as: black spot, rust and anthracnose.

Powdery Mildew
Controlling and Preventing Powdery Mildew on Plants

Powdery mildew is one of the most common and easily recognized plant diseases. Almost no type of plant is immune, however some are more susceptible than others. Lilacs, crab apples, phlox, monarda, roses, grapes, squash and cucumbers are all likely targets for powdery mildew.

Recognizing Powdery Mildew
As the name implies, powdery mildew looks like powdery splotches of white or gray, on the leaves and stems of plants. There are actually several types of powdery mildew fungi, but they all look basically the same. You may not notice a problem until the top surfaces of the leaves turn powdery, but powdery mildew can also affect the lower leaf surface, stems, flowers, buds and even the fruit.
Although powdery mildew is unattractive, it is rarely fatal. However it does stress the plant and severe or repetitive infections will weaken the plant. If enough of the leaf surface becomes covered with powdery mildew, photosynthesis is impaired. Infected leaves often fall prematurely. This can be a particular problem on edible crops, since insufficient photosynthesis can diminish the flavor of the fruit or vegetable. If buds become infected, they may not open and mature at all.

Powdery mildew fungi are host specific, meaning the different powdery mildew fungi infect different plants. The powdery mildew on your lilacs will not spread to your grapes or your roses. However all powdery mildews favor the same conditions.

What Causes Powdery Mildew?
Powdery mildew fungi seem to be everywhere. They overwinter in plant debris begin producing spores in the spring. These spores are carried to your plants by wind, insects and splashing water. Conditions that encourage the growth and spread of powdery mildew include:
Dampness or high humidity (Not common during rainy seasons or in extreme heat)
Crowded plantings
Poor air circulation

Controlling Powdery Mildew
Choose healthy plants and keep they growing healthy
Try and find a powdery mildew resistant cultivar, if your area is susceptible
Don't plant non-resistant varieties in the shade
Once Your Plants are Infected:

Remove and destroy all infected plant parts
Improve air circulation by thinning and pruning
Don't fertilized until the problem is corrected. Powdery mildew favors young, succulent growth
Don't water plants from above

Apply a fungicide: There are many fungicides available. Check the label to be sure they are safe and effective on the type of plant that is infected. Look for ingredients such as: potassium bicarbonate, neem oil, sulfur or copper. There are also chemical fungicides, such as triforine, that can be used on ornamental plants. There is also a home remedy made from baking soda that is effective.
Most fungicides will need repeat applications every 7 - 14 days, for continuous protection. Always follow the label instructions for both application and waiting period before harvest

What happens if you make the wrong ratio and the plants get burnt? Do you need to clean off the leaf with just water (while they sleep). Or does it take a whole soil flush?

Flushing In Relation to Foliar Burn

What happens if you make the wrong ratio and the plants get burnt? Do you need to clean off the leaf with just water (while they sleep). Or does it take a whole soil flush?

If u mix the wrong ratio and the plants get burned then they get burned and the damage is permanent. The upside is if the entire plant wasn't burned too bad then it should thrive with healthy new growth. Sounds like this plant had a phytotoxic reaction. This occurs when a spray it applied at levels toxic to the plant. I've bunrned plants using a large pyrethrin bomb in a small room. As for flushing the soil. Ur soil has very little to do with (if any) foliar burn from a spray. So in this case flushing doesn't appear to be necessary. Had this been nutrient burn, then I'd agree with flushing as a corrective measure. Hope this helps some. Happy growing.

Re: Flushing In Relation to Foliar Burn

If u mix the wrong ratio and the plants get burned then they get burned and the damage is permanent. The upside is if the entire plant wasn't burned too bad then it should thrive with healthy new growth. Sounds like this plant had a phytotoxic reaction. This occurs when a spray it applied at levels toxic to the plant. I've bunrned plants using a large pyrethrin bomb in a small room. As for flushing the soil. Ur soil has very little to do with (if any) foliar burn from a spray. So in this case flushing doesn't appear to be necessary. Had this been nutrient burn, then I'd agree with flushing as a corrective measure. Hope this helps some. Happy growing.

Thank you for the info BWC! Awesome insight.

Did some more research on Phytotoxicity. The damage wasnt deadly and with some nutes and TLC they are coming back quite nicely. New growth has accrued and color is back to normal. We're still rockin, hope you are are too.

Back
Top Bottom