Power Generator

The Prof

I've been looking for a good generator to keep my electricity bill down. Anyone use generators and if so whats a good one to go with?? THanks alot

running a generator for a minimum of 12 hours a day is going to cost alot more than the bill to run the lights. I run a 600w HID light in my grows and my power bill went up a scalding 8 bucks a month. You'll spend more than that in a day and a half on gas.

If you are intent on getting one, Honda generators are pretty damn good. Quiet, dependable but expensive.

but it cost some people more then just 8 bucks a month (i know mine is more then that) and they want to hide some of the usage using a generator... but yes, honda makes a great generator

I agree with southern, whats more noticable? A couple dollars a month on electricty or the constant humming and smell of a generator for neighbours and having to contsantly re-fill its gas or deisel with pricey gas every few hours?

.... well in some cases its NOT a couple dollars, and some people DO NOT have neighbours.... you've got to think of all scenario's not just your own.

a power company could report something, and if you have the resources and the money to spend to cover yourself, then why not... it's happining all around the world right now.

I duno, I just can't see the point unless the grow op is of a very large size. Like come on, putting all those nasty carsogens and chemicals into the air to grow something that is considered a healing herb? Just to save what? At the most 50 dollars a month? Compared to something like 1000 just to keep it running for a month. not to mention the other grand just to buy a decent one. Like you said if hes got the money to spare, why not some sort natural energy. Solar power man, you give some you take some.

have you seen the cnbc documentary where they found 2 half million $ gererators in the woods? (go to 7:02 on the video)
... some people pay a price ( to the earth or whatever) for their bud. i don't see the point either ....... but it happens.

YouTube - Marijuana Inc part 2

I've been looking for a good generator to keep my electricity bill down. Anyone use generators and if so whats a good one to go with?? THanks alot

That's a very open question...

What size generator are you looking for and what is your budget? There are severe price differences between the tiny generators you buy at Home Depot for the occasional power outage and the ones that can power your entire home and then some. I used to work with gensets from 20kW to 1.5MW on a daily basis, the 20kW's will run you about $1000/kw...iow ~$20,000 including start-up, not including installation...maybe a little less if you get a good deal or buy one used.

Also, are you going to run natural gas or diesel (this pertains to the larger units only)?

The comments above about paying more for diesel are correct, even natural gas won't really save you any money. I assume you are wanting to run a generator for peak shaving operation so the power company doesn't have it in their records that your usage has gone up but I could be wrong. Again, a generator is not going to save you money in your financial expenditures regarding electricity consumption; in reality it's going to probably cost you more.

Caterpillar makes some pretty nice generators but they don't use their engines until you hit about 80-100kW, the smaller generators typically use Ford or Mitsubishi engines and run at a fairly high RPM. You're also going to pay a fair amount for them but you get what you pay for.

Well there are number of generators brands like Honeywell, Generac, etc. selling modernized power generator that gives more efficiency and also saves bills, energy, etc. You can go with Generac generators, one of the most popular brand to trust. I recently got my generator replaced by our regular generator repairs service NJ team. Just buying a good generator is not enough, the installation of the generator is also important. Getting it installed by professionals will provide greater efficiency, prolong the life of the system and peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom