Prepping medium 3-4 weeks in advance

MGD420

So I'm about to germinate my seeds but it will most likely take 3 or 4 weeks before the plants will be ready to get transplanted into their 25 litre buckets.

I would like to know if it would be fine to prep my buckets 3 or 4 weeks in advance ?

Will washing the clay pebbles, perlite and mixing with coco then putting it all into their final buckets and popping a lid on them for 3 or 4 weeks cause any issues such as mould etc.

Thanks
MGD420

So I'm about to germinate my seeds but it will most likely take 3 or 4 weeks before the plants will be ready to get transplanted into their 25 litre buckets.

I would like to know if it would be fine to prep my buckets 3 or 4 weeks in advance ?

Will washing the clay pebbles, perlite and mixing with coco then putting it all into their final buckets and popping a lid on them for 3 or 4 weeks cause any issues such as mould etc.

Thanks
MGD420

shouldn't cause an issue. most everything is inert in that mix anyway.

shouldn't cause an issue. most everything is inert in that mix anyway.
Thanks for the quick reply bluter.

Another question if you could answer before you go from our previous conversation.

You mentioned placing the drainage hole being 25 percent of the over-all buckets size.

I'm using 25 litre buckets. Would I be correct in thinking if I filled the bucket with 6.25 litres that would give me the ideal height to make the drainage hole.

Thanks again

but it could be an issue,, under every wrong circumstance,,

moisture is the killer. keep the lid loose and perhaps mix it up the odd time till ready to use

you could mix it perhaps but does it need to go into the final pot right away?

moisture is the killer. keep the lid loose and perhaps mix it up the odd time till ready to use

Thanks. I can always keep the lids off the buckets and give it a mix.

It doesn't have to go into the buckets right away, it would just be lot easier to have things prepped sooner as I have a lot more spare time on my hands at the moment.

get yer hands dirty friend,,

ha,, i am a hempy grower,, like @bluter actually,, perlite only,, but i am a huge outdoor gardener,, flowers,, vegies and fruit,, and i used to grow weed in soil,, and i sure do love the feel of running my hands thru my soil, mixing it all up,, very soothing and satisfying in a subtle kinda way. no wonder i love spring so much,,

and it's commin,, spring, indeed,,

karma sent friend

i've prepped buckets wks in advance. you could run in to issues with a bunch of organics. but even then, a lot of growers let it cook. there's not much harm it can do in a hempy style. i wouldn't bottle them up and set them in the sun either lol

I'm using 25 litre buckets. Would I be correct in thinking if I filled the bucket with 6.25 litres that would give me the ideal height to make the drainage hole.

no. it just doesn't change anything.

the feeding interval can't last much beyond 3 days or the res gets stagnant, the roots suffocate, and ph issues start showing up over time. plus you'll need to mix more nutes to get a proper runoff. the runoff ensures oxygen gets to the roots and ph stays in balance.

you could try it. the res is not an empty space either, remember it's full of media. changes the volume. i think @FelipeBlu ran a larger res on his outdoor hempys. i'd check there.

i've prepped buckets wks in advance. you could run in to issues with a bunch of organics. but even then, a lot of growers let it cook. there's not much harm it can do in a hempy style. i wouldn't bottle them up and set them in the sun either lol

no. it just doesn't change anything.

the feeding interval can't last much beyond 3 days or the res gets stagnant, the roots suffocate, and ph issues start showing up over time. plus you'll need to mix more nutes to get a proper runoff. the runoff ensures oxygen gets to the roots and ph stays in balance.

you could try it. the res is not an empty space either, remember it's full of media. changes the volume. i think @FelipeBlu ran a larger res on his outdoor hempys. i'd check there.

Thanks for the reply bluter.

Where would you recommend I drill the drainage hole ?

I just measured 6.25 litres in the bucket and the drainage for the res would end up being about 5 inches up the bucket lol so yea I can see what your getting at. 2 inches seems a bit too low on the bucket though, im thinking I maybe went about 3 inches up on the first grow with the same size of bucket.
I'll tag @FelipeBlu in this post and hopefully he can help out aswell.

get yer hands dirty friend,,

ha,, i am a hempy grower,, like @bluter actually,, perlite only,, but i am a huge outdoor gardener,, flowers,, vegies and fruit,, and i used to grow weed in soil,, and i sure do love the feel of running my hands thru my soil, mixing it all up,, very soothing and satisfying in a subtle kinda way. no wonder i love spring so much,,

and it's commin,, spring, indeed,,

karma sent friend

I've just sorted the small pots for now and will mix the rest of the coco and perlite maybe beginning of February that way they're not sitting as long. I love getting my hands dirty with the coco and perlite, mixing it together is quite relaxing. Only thing with growing indoors sometimes the perlite can be a bit messy.

Back
Top Bottom