Pruning outdoor plants for high humidity

Newbill10

I'm looking for suggestions on how to trim plants for the Southern California coastal climate. Last summer we had some bud rot and powdery mildew, manageable but not ideal. Pruning and extra N could hold of flowering until October? Tips would be helpful.
first-week-in-flower-web.jpg

What Strain is it? Cherry Kush X Star Sapphire
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Unknown Hybrid Mostly Sativa
How Many Plants? 4
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? 1-4 weeks into flower
Indoor or Outdoor? Outdoor
Soil? Organic Roots Organics 707 blend (peat, cocoa fiber, perlite, PH modifier etc.
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Added compost, worm castings plus 5% vermiculite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 5 -10 gal air pots, smart pots
Light? 8 hours direct sunlight
light breeze most days
Mediterranean climate, coastal fog at night and AM some days
PH of Medium? 6.5
Any Pests? Managed by natural predators, had bud worms last year
How Often are you Watering? every 2nd day
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Roots Organics Dry - 1-2 TBS week - Foundation, Growth, Flower. worm casting tea, pea protein, silicon supplement, Insect Frass.

Hey there... I'm just doing my first outdoor grow this summer, but in a completely different climate from yours (southern Ontario, Canada). So I am definitely not an expert! :)

A couple of thoughts/ideas, though...

1) I don't think that you will be able to slow down flowering through nutes or pruning. I believe that they will start flowering when the daylength triggers it. If you hold back the nutes that they will need for healthy flowers, I think you might just end up reducing your yield, versus slowing down the process.

2) If the issue is bud root or mold, have you considered some preventative measures to help with the problem directly? I believe that @InTheShed is closer to your geography. You might check out his journal, has he has mentioned a number of different products that he uses for similar problems.

As I said, I'm not really experienced, but hopefully these ideas help a bit.

Hope you get a great harvest - plants look like monsters!!

Thanks for the shout Bard! Hey Newbill :ciao: I'm on the coastal side of Los Angeles with identical weather, and get occasional budrot and PM here. I've been trying out Southern Ag's Garden Friendly Fungicide for the budrot, which doesn't completely prevent it but greatly slows down the spread. I didn't even take the buds with rot off my plants this time, I just sprayed them well (pulled them open to get in deep) every few days to harvest. Home Depot has that, or Amazon if your local HD is out.

Bard is correct on slowing down flowering...can't be done outside, though I've seen people try with a great deal of science and management. And why would you want to push your harvest closer to our rainy season anyway?

Pruning for airflow is a good idea outside and in, and Monterey Garden Insect Spray (it's spinosad, also Home Depot) will take care of caterpillars, thrips, aphids, and whiteflies and can be used up to harvest (with bud washing of course!). Only 6x per grow though. Caterpillars are a big budrot vector so good to kill them fast.

One more point...when you say you're watering every other day, is that on a schedule or just how often the plants need it?

Thanks for the shout Bard! Hey Newbill :ciao: I'm on the coastal side of Los Angeles with identical weather, and get occasional budrot and PM here. I've been trying out Southern Ag's Garden Friendly Fungicide for the budrot, which doesn't completely prevent it but greatly slows down the spread. I didn't even take the buds with rot off my plants this time, I just sprayed them well (pulled them open to get in deep) every few days to harvest. Home Depot has that, or Amazon if your local HD is out.

Bard is correct on slowing down flowering...can't be done outside, though I've seen people try with a great deal of science and management. And why would you want to push your harvest closer to our rainy season anyway?

Pruning for airflow is a good idea outside and in, and Monterey Garden Insect Spray (it's spinosad, also Home Depot) will take care of caterpillars, thrips, aphids, and whiteflies and can be used up to harvest (with bud washing of course!). Only 6x per grow though. Caterpillars are a big budrot vector so good to kill them fast.

One more point...when you say you're watering every other day, is that on a schedule or just how often the plants need it?

I knew you would have great advice, Shed!

Thank you for the advice. I live in a HUD facility so I grow at a good friends house and garden. October has lower humidity but I guess I'll just let nature decide. The plants are a bit dry when I water but only had a plant wilt one time. They are between two small citrus trees so they get some shade before 9 AM and after 6 PM. It's a magical micro-climate, tucked between a mesa and foothills.

Do I need to reduce watering in the last 2 weeks of flower? Most of my big fan leaves are yellow or tucked in to provide more light. Coastal fog is mostly gone, temps are 60 to 78 degrees.
ready-now.jpg

Back
Top Bottom