PuffPuffPass's Phototron 9 Grow

Day 3.. Checked the seeds for their morning moistening and found this..

sprout.JPG

We have sproutage.. I have 2 seeds folded in a doubled up papercloth sitting on a dinner plate, with 3 shotglasses upside down around the edge of the plate which holds a 40 watt twizzle tube bulb about 3 inches over the top of the cloth. I have found in the past that this combination of light, dampness and slight heat (very slight) tends to make the seeds pop quicker and my plants are overall much more healthy as they mature. I'm going to let it sit in there for 1 more day and then it goes into container 1.

germ.JPG

Very interested to see how this turns out. Years ago (like 12 years maybe) I had a friend who tried one of these to grow with. It honestly was crap. This might have been due to any number of things (my friend had no idea about growing, and he actually just pruned the leaves and smoked them until I explained how flowering worked), but most of all I would think the phototron back then he used was smaller and certainly used less light than the one EvilTim is getting.

Please be sure to keep us updated if you can. Also, it would cool to get a pic of the phototron with something (2-liter coke bottle?) inside it to give us all a gauge of it's size.

bahnzo said:
Very interested to see how this turns out. Years ago (like 12 years maybe) I had a friend who tried one of these to grow with. It honestly was crap. This might have been due to any number of things (my friend had no idea about growing, and he actually just pruned the leaves and smoked them until I explained how flowering worked), but most of all I would think the phototron back then he used was smaller and certainly used less light than the one EvilTim is getting.

Please be sure to keep us updated if you can. Also, it would cool to get a pic of the phototron with something (2-liter coke bottle?) inside it to give us all a gauge of it's size.

The tron is 51" tall.. To give you an idea, I stand 6' tall and the tron comes up to my nipples..

UPDATE:

The phototron has shown up. I got it on EBAY and it is just simply awesome.. Did have 1 minor glitch, a couple of the top bulbs are dead so I have ordered replacements, but the 6 lower (and longer) bulbs are fine and before the plants ever get to the height of the top bulbs, the replacements will be here. I am still waiting on the 10 gallon matching water tank and automatic watering system to arrive.. UPS tracking shows a delivery date of Friday.

photo.JPG

OK.. So I took the sprouts and transferred them to peat balls.

peat.JPG

disc.JPG

Put the sprout on a disc.. then add water and the ball forms around the sprout.. As it expanded, I lifted the sprout so that it would be exposed as the ball formed. The result was a healthy sprout, firmly encased in a peat ball. I left that under my 40 watt twizzle for about 2 days till I was sure the spout survived the transplant, then I placed it and a second sprout in a second ball together in a 2 gallon pot. 1 ball is ICE and the other is GRAPEFRUIT. I intend to train them to grow together like a banzai bush. Once the plants hit about 2/3 of the length of the phototron, I will repot it one last time into a larger pot which will fill the bottom of the tron.

Now it's a waiting game. I will upload weekly photos of the plants as they mature.

Some other phototron accessories I got with the unit..

fans.JPG

This unit was designed for the Phototron 8 and 9 models only. We have developed the best-automated air ventilation and circulation system for the Phototron. This includes a narrow panel (which will replace one of your existing narrow panels) with two fans mounted on the outside, one blowing the hot air out from the top of the unit and the center fan blowing cooler air into unit. These fans are controlled by a thermostat (AVP Control Unit) that will automatically turn on or off the fans based on the internal Phototron air temperature range of approx. 70F to 90F degrees, which you can set and adjust, or you can simply turn on and off the fans by using the manual switch.

What are the results?

Lowers the internal temperature within the Phototron and reduces the variance in temperature between the top and bottom of the unit. Resulting in a consistent temperature throughout the Phototron for better and healthier plant growth.
Eliminates stagnate air and improves air circulation within the Phototron. Prevents fungus or mold from developing.

feeder.jpg

This new Feed-A-Tron II has an important added feature for constant root aeration in addition to automatic watering. The Feed-A-Tron Classic used by thousands of our customers over the past 15 years is a reliable system for proper moisture control when you are there or away. Now you have a choice to select a Feed-A-Tron with that proven operation plus growth enhancement with aeration. This new system includes two large pumps designed to operate constantly for years. A sensor automatically deliver nutrient fluid when the moisture level drops and during all other times (98% of the time) air is bubbling up through the moss and roots from the air ring.

tank.jpg

Reservoir - The acrylic reservoir holds 10 gallons of water and feed formula, allowing continuous plant nourishment when used in conjunction with the Feed-A-Trons.

bulb.jpg

Double SL-18 Socket Kit with SL-18 Lamps - For use with two SL-18 lamps or one SL-18 lamp and one 25 watt bulb in the bottom. The kit hangs from a bracket molded into the top of your unit

hey just be careful i had one of those and it really streaches the plant big time it looks like that one already has, my buddy told me to hang a cfl in there right above the plant untill it gets a decent bas size to it so it wont streach as much. looks good.

from what I am reading in the manual, that is actually a good thing..

According to the manual, I can have 6 plants in this unit, since it is the size 9... There are several chapters devoted to how to prune it to maximize budding sites. It boasts if followed exactly over 1000 budding sites per plant are possible.. I am skeptical on that claim, but WTF.. I am experimenting..

I'll scan a couple of the pages of the manual later and upload here to show you what I am talking about.. pretty interesting reading..

Back
Top Bottom