Purple Vs Green: or colour preference in general

Treehouseman

Ive been smoking and growing for years now and never put too much thought into what colour differences were aside from just colour. I started into breeding a within the past few years. I just did a pheno hunt with one the Girl Scout Cookies strain ive been growing from a seed I found in some really choice bud years ago. I almost lost the strain when I remembered that I had put some outdoors at a buddies place. That girl got pollinated by an unkown male and Ive been sorting through the genepool to try and get back (or better) to the GSC I love.

Im starting to see how certain genetic expressions (phenotypes) can hint at other underlying genes. No matter how trichome laden the purple variants of the GSC Im growing get, they dont quite give me that same, grab you by the balls, permagrin kind of stone that the green varieties give me. Now that I think about it theres a lot of purple strains that seem to give me more of a mellow high.

That being said, I recall smoking a Purple Punch that was just fantastic. Flowers were an even 50/50 purple and green. Ultimately what holds true for one strain/genepool might not hold for another. The GSC is telling me right now that the high im selecting for is more likely to come from its green offspring. Id be interested to see what anyone else thinks, did you ever crop out a strain and really prefer one colour variant to another?
IMG_20210311_055651.jpg
IMG_20210314_135625.jpg
IMG_20210325_092115.jpg

Ive been smoking and growing for years now and never put too much thought into what colour differences were aside from just colour. I started into breeding a within the past few years. I just did a pheno hunt with one the Girl Scout Cookies strain ive been growing from a seed I found in some really choice bud years ago. I almost lost the strain when I remembered that I had put some outdoors at a buddies place. That girl got pollinated by an unkown male and Ive been sorting through the genepool to try and get back (or better) to the GSC I love.

Im starting to see how certain genetic expressions (phenotypes) can hint at other underlying genes. No matter how trichome laden the purple variants of the GSC Im growing get, they dont quite give me that same, grab you by the balls, permagrin kind of stone that the green varieties give me. Now that I think about it theres a lot of purple strains that seem to give me more of a mellow high.

That being said, I recall smoking a Purple Punch that was just fantastic. Flowers were an even 50/50 purple and green. Ultimately what holds true for one strain/genepool might not hold for another. The GSC is telling me right now that the high im selecting for is more likely to come from its green offspring. Id be interested to see what anyone else thinks, did you ever crop out a strain and really prefer one colour variant to another?
IMG_20210311_055651.jpg
IMG_20210314_135625.jpg
IMG_20210325_092115.jpg
I have a thread on purple plants, put up a pic of your girls there if you want to share your terrific work. Personally I don't find effects are dependent on color. Its more environment and strain dependent, than color. But dam they are beautiful. Happy growing.

I have a thread on purple plants, put up a pic of your girls there if you want to share your terrific work. Personally I don't find effects are dependent on color. Its more environment and strain dependent, than color. But dam they are beautiful. Happy growing.
Hey Bill284, thanks for the compliments! I'll head over and post some of my Purple Girls in your Purple thread.

I was thinking this morning about a conversation I had with a friend of mine. He told me he's had plenty of good purple, but always finds his absolute favourite strains are green. Im more in agreeance with you though, for the most part colour is colour. The only time I'd pay attention to it is if you're selecting for it, you're pheno hunting a strain and a particular colour also seems to sport other traits you want, or if you're enjoying looking at some pretty coloured buds.

Ive got some DJ Short Blueberry on the go that have been displaying purples and blues since they popped out of the soil. If I were to cross it with my GSC, or the Headbanger then I might take any purple I see in the seedlings as an indicator that they'll have some other DJSBB traits coming along.

Hey Bill284, thanks for the compliments! I'll head over and post some of my Purple Girls in your Purple thread.

I was thinking this morning about a conversation I had with a friend of mine. He told me he's had plenty of good purple, but always finds his absolute favourite strains are green. Im more in agreeance with you though, for the most part colour is colour. The only time I'd pay attention to it is if you're selecting for it, you're pheno hunting a strain and a particular colour also seems to sport other traits you want, or if you're enjoying looking at some pretty coloured buds.

Ive got some DJ Short Blueberry on the go that have been displaying purples and blues since they popped out of the soil. If I were to cross it with my GSC, or the Headbanger then I might take any purple I see in the seedlings as an indicator that they'll have some other DJSBB traits coming along.
My jher turns purple every time it looks cool. But My Blueberry is green as can be and makes me giggle like a kid again, just love it.
My Gorilla glue is green also, and I save it for bed time because dam your not doing anything after smoking it. Smoker 2 has some absolutely stunning purple girls. I'll ask him next time I'm talking to him if he can tell a difference.
He has a couple posted on my thread also.

I like almost all good weed. The funkiest to fruit loop tasting stuff.... I like different nuggets for different times of the day.... I think the colors can sometimes be brought out by colder temps at the end of flowering and if this is the reason for the purple you wilt have that “purp” taste, just some extra bag appeal. I grew like 10 some purple kush a few years ago and it was super green all the way til harvest. Well a couple plants were a little behind so I let them flower another week or so. In that last week they turned from light green to the most majestic royal purple! Sweet! I like my purps! But will smoke the green stuff also! Lol if it’s frosty!

I like almost all good weed. The funkiest to fruit loop tasting stuff.... I like different nuggets for different times of the day.... I think the colors can sometimes be brought out by colder temps at the end of flowering and if this is the reason for the purple you wilt have that “purp” taste, just some extra bag appeal. I grew like 10 some purple kush a few years ago and it was super green all the way til harvest. Well a couple plants were a little behind so I let them flower another week or so. In that last week they turned from light green to the most majestic royal purple! Sweet! I like my purps! But will smoke the green stuff also! Lol if it’s frosty!
Got any pics of her?

I remember the days before I was growing and money was tight. Sometimes you'd have to be careful not to get upsold on some inferior bud just on account of it being "its purple bro! check it out! extra 5 bucks a g though"

Youre right about different buds for different times. My GSC #8 from this round is very purple and has this uplifting, relaxing sort of high that is really great for just spacing out. #7 is very green and especially fragrant, reminiscent of the sweet and gassy smells of the GSC bud I pulled the seeds from originally. She gives me that raunchy "oh man Im fucked up lets crank up the tunes and do something" kind of buzz that I love for daytime.

I remember the days before I was growing and money was tight. Sometimes you'd have to be careful not to get upsold on some inferior bud just on account of it being "its purple bro! check it out! extra 5 bucks a g though"

Youre right about different buds for different times. My GSC #8 from this round is very purple and has this uplifting, relaxing sort of high that is really great for just spacing out. #7 is very green and especially fragrant, reminiscent of the sweet and gassy smells of the GSC bud I pulled the seeds from originally. She gives me that raunchy "oh man Im fucked up lets crank up the tunes and do something" kind of buzz that I love for daytime.
It’s weird for me cuz I’ve fried my brain with synthetic Cannabinoids a few years ago. Man, k2 is strong shit. Horrible for you and no good. It will make it so normal weed won’t work well, or at all, for like a month or two. Now it’s kinda weird the different highs kinda blur sometimes. I know I’m high, just not high like when i was a kid. Maybe I need a tolerance break? Ohhh no!

It’s weird for me cuz I’ve fried my brain with synthetic Cannabinoids a few years ago. Man, k2 is strong shit. Horrible for you and no good. It will make it so normal weed won’t work well, or at all, for like a month or two. Now it’s kinda weird the different highs kinda blur sometimes. I know I’m high, just not high like when i was a kid. Maybe I need a tolerance break? Ohhh no!
Im glad I stayed away from synthetic cannabinoids. Ahaha I wonder if any of us can get high like we did when we were kids. lol, the imagination and wonder of a childs mind combined with drugs is something else

Im glad I stayed away from synthetic cannabinoids. Ahaha I wonder if any of us can get high like we did when we were kids. lol, the imagination and wonder of a childs mind combined with drugs is something else
A couple weeks ago I ate a little over 5gs of dry mushrooms.... I had to order Chinese food while I was peaking! I couldn’t remember my phone number, I just started saying numbers( I’m pretty sure I got it wrong but they had me on file. Lol.. anyways that was really fun! I sat for like two hours on the couch looking at this weird food and trying to concentrate on this movie that was supposed to be about weed but it just had a bunch of black guys dancing and doing flips. It was wild! Didn’t have anything to do about weed. They tricked me! The movie ended and my dude said” that wasn’t about weed” and I just tried to put my world back together! Lol.

MY experience is the green can be really really strong. The purps is couchy usually the strains I run.

There are strains that are completely purps - flowers, trichomes leaves.

There are strains that only the leaves are purps and green flowers

There are strains that are all green

There are strains that are green with pink pistols.... I'm puffing on one of these now its GREAT.

Back
Top Bottom