Question about Par

K.puff&stuff

High guys I have a question on lumens My plant are reading around or are getting around 470 max 520 lumens at 24 plus inches
The reason I'm doing this is because I want them to be slow in growing so that they can go outside in the spring Friend is saying I should bring the light lower to get more lumens. How much lumens do you guys think I need
Thanks

I'm using one of those par meter thing and my plants are getting like high 400 to mid 500 on my par meter I'm about 24 wondering if this is enough or should I bring lights down some more I dont want to do a burn test bring light down leave start going yellow bring light up till you notice no burn type thing. Hope you understand.
PPFD I dont understand to good reading so much nothing making sense

Lumen measures the intensity of light visible to the human eye, which peaks in the green spectrum.
This is only useable to determine the efficacy of a diode or bulb compared to one of the same type and color temperature.

Unless you paid +$500 for your meter, it's not accurate enough for PPFD measuring, only a few meters are good enough for that...

What kind of light do you use?

I got my lights from china there 850 watts Eq to 1000 watts HID there bright thats for sure theres 6 of them in my grow tent 4 of them are full veg 20 plants in 5 gallon grow pots I have a total of 8 light and 4 florecent light tube t12 from solacure they are not on only when flower

I got my lights from china there 850 watts Eq to 1000 watts HID there bright thats for sure theres 6 of them in my grow tent 4 of them are full veg 20 plants in 5 gallon grow pots I have a total of 8 light and 4 florecent light tube t12 from solacure they are not on only when flower

Still no idea what the lights are, some more info is needed :)

What's the brand? Model? Do you have a link or part number?

Company called brightsun model BR690 i dont think i can add link to there site 420 will not like that. I'm going to video these light soon 1 of them been on 4 month 18 hours on 6 off no problem no heat they are a little noisy fans but they stay cool i'm using a heater in my grow tent to keep in at 26 28 degrees tent in garage you can see in my grow journal

I just spent some time trying to find information on that model. It appears to use either Bridgelux, Epistar and Epileds or Bridgelux and Epileds (the company ad copy lists both sets - multiple times - so IDK which, if either, is correct). The company does not seem to publish the actual wattage information anywhere (sketchy, that). The company calls it an 850-watt LED panel, but by that they're just using the "class" of the LEDs and multiplying those by the number of each in the panel to get a total number - six "100w" COBs and 25 "5w" individual LEDs. The product appears (to me) to be somewhat less than average quality in terms of what gets produced in and around Shenzhen, China, but giving it the benefit of the doubt, I'd guess that it is actually a 300- to 400-watt device.

The product page on Alibaba ( :rolleyes3 ) lists its price at $350, but that can't be right, lol. This is a $80 to $160 product, at a guess.

There actually doesn't seem to be much in the way of useful information on the product page, for all that they used a great many words and images.

No there isnt like I said Chinese light the actual wattage I get full open draw from the wall is only 450 and not 850 but thats ok I will get better lights I just dont want to spend a wild amount of money on them. who really stands by there light is there a company that will sell me a light with real wattage from the wall.
I'm open to this. and I'm not looking for California light works they have great lights but man they dont give them away.

Best lighting for the $ right now have got to be Quantum boards by either HLG ( Horticultural Lighting Group), or Timber grow lights. A lot of the guys and girls on here are switching from traditional HPS and hid to these Quantum boards because of their efficiency, their lack of heat and their incredible ability to be able to penetrate deep into the canopy by having the dimmable option. Of course, they are also expandable if you purchase a larger driver..... All are interchangeable.
Regardless of what I have spent on lighting already, I will be doing one of these DIY Quantum board setups as soon as I can afford it.
PGR has been a huge help to me......listen to what he says....he knows!!!

Hi and thanks for the input show me a diy link on this setup I mite have a few dollars to buy a couple of kits to use with my setup doesnt hurt to have more light

the actual wattage I get full open draw from the wall is only 450

I'm sorry, I somehow managed to miss that. That's a higher amount than I expected (which is good!).

is there a company that will sell me a light with real wattage from the wall.

There's a company that used to be a sponsor here called Amare Technologies (don't know if they still are or not; haven't read anything about them in quite some time), and their products tended to have the actual wattage in the name, e.g. SE450-UVB uses ~450 watts. Has six COBs, each one surrounded by ten individual LEDs, and a 15-watt fluorescent UVB bulb down the middle of the panel. But their products are NOT cheap - I think that one might have been priced at around $1,000 or a little more. POWERFUL (but so is a 1,000-watt HPS, and for a fraction of that price, lol), but it seemed to suffer the same issue that most LED panels do, it had a pretty significant "hot spot" directly under the panel. OtOH, that one was really intended for high-bay setups; it came with six optical quality (AfaIK) glass lenses that could be attached to the COBs, so the grower could "hang 'er high" and still achieve good penetration, yet help alleviate the center bright spot issue, I'd think. Panels seem to be built with a good bit of quality, too, was like 35 pounds or thereabouts.

I suppose there are others like that, where they are completely up front about their products' wattages. That's just the only one I know of, specifically.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to go out and purchase a super high-wattage LED panel. I just worry that a lot of the purchasers of the cheap Chinese products might be, well, getting somewhat misled by the companies' advertisements/descriptions, you know? Kind of like when people first started using CFL bulbs to grow cannabis with, lol, and no few of the newer growers were looking at the box that their 23-watt bulbs came in, seeing that "equivalent to 100-watt," and making the assumption that this meant that they could run four of them and get a good yield :rolleyes3 because not everyone immediately understood that this was in reference to the incandescent bulb in their reading lamp. I'm just... Well, grouchy ;) . But, anyway, I think if a product is a good one, people ought to be able to sell it (whatever that product happens to be) by just giving the true facts about it instead of acting like shady used car salesmen (so to speak), that's all. Err... As you can probably guess, I don't exactly watch commercials very often (even when I actually sit down and watch something on television). I'm definitely not trying to pick on someone for their choice of lighting product in their grow room.

I'm just jabbering....

you know i understand what your saying maybe i should go with hps lights all together may get 3 800 watts2400 total i'm trying to save energy but if this will cost me on yeild and time growing mite as well do it right. in a 10x10 grow tent how many hps lights will I need.

Another great option is one of these T5 fluorescent banks that holds eight tubes. The tubes can be interchanged with LEDs strips that fit into the fluorescent light holder. I've heard claims that lumen can reach as high as 40000. 5000 lumens per LED bulb replacement X your eight Bank. Total cost Canadian for everything in a situation like that is about $600.

in a 10x10 grow tent how many hps lights will I need.

Ten FEET square? That's 100 square feet, wow, you must be looking for some heavy production numbers. The traditional rule with HIDs has been a minimum of 30 watts per square foot for vegetative phase, and a minimum of 50 watts per square foot for flowering. More (within reason) is better, of course, and I'd want a minimum of 62.5 watts/ft.² for flowering sativas. But with a space that size, you'll certainly be looking at multiple lights, regardless of what you end up choosing, and this can help if your gross wattage numbers are a little less than optimum (see: third light effect), where if things are spaced properly, at the point where one light's illumination starts to drop off, you've got the next light's illumination that's just starting to drop off, and the two "partial intensity" zones, blending together, can mimic a more intense single light. Or something like that, lol, I've had no sleep and NO COFFEE today, so I cannot guarantee I'm making sense at the moment.

EDIT: Also, with a space that size, you won't be tending your plants by reaching in from outside, you'll be walking into the room to do so. Therefore, you'll end up with floor/grow space that isn't actually being used for growing. Those areas obviously don't need to be lit, so you might end up designing your space so that it has "plant zones," over which you've hung your various lights.

Oh, and if going with HPS - and you can afford the additional fixtures - I'd suggest going with 600-watt ones instead of 1,000-watt if you can. They seem to be a bit more efficient (per watt, I mean). But, obviously, a person is going to spend more buying (for example) five 600-watt setups than they would to buy three 1,000-watt ones.

I get a chance once in awhile to go down to a larger scale Hydro shop in Toronto. The hydro shop is called Bustan. I spoke to a woman in the shop who owns it her name is Narit. She told me that they sell a the unit that takes 4 foot T5 bulbs. It is intended for veg/flower using 4000k fluorescent. She also told me that you can replace those fluorescent tubes with a LED replacement intended for the T5, each one of those is capable of 5000 lumens +

AgroLED iSunlight is the product. I'm not going to post company websites that are not sponsors.

K.puff , you'll have to drive on the 401 to get there, pick me up would you LOL!

Back
Top Bottom