Question about Par

TorturedSoul
I understand it would be a shame to get rid of my lights I mean with my crapy par reader at 709 center 500 outside my lights are 32" inches away from plants and 41" to canopy what about adding 2 hps 600 watts and add them in between the 4 lights
IMG_089740.JPG

I get a chance once in awhile to go down to a larger scale Hydro shop in Toronto. The hydro shop is called Bustan. I spoke to a woman in the shop who owns it her name is Narit. She told me that they sell a the unit that takes 4 foot T5 bulbs. It is intended for veg/flower using 4000k fluorescent. She also told me that you can replace those fluorescent tubes with a LED replacement intended for the T5, each one of those is capable of 5000 lumens +

AgroLED iSunlight is the product. I'm not going to post company websites that are not sponsors.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh, don't get something where they don't tell you what components they use, specs are only physical measurements....... They look like a cheap/older version of the Samsung strips ;)

ok this is what I'm going to i will add my flurecent t12 tubes 3 of them and see what give there used for flowering to increese thc level what you guys thing or order some t 12 flurecent grow lights

TorturedSoul
I understand it would be a shame to get rid of my lights I mean with my crapy par reader at 709 center 500 outside my lights are 32" inches away from plants and 41" to canopy what about adding 2 hps 600 watts and add them in between the 4 lights

Another 1,200 watts of intense light would definitely help, and adding HPS to the blurples would, IMHO, help fill in any possible spectral deficiencies (to what degree, I couldn't say). However, I couldn't say whether the total would be considered truly adequate for the size of your space. I only briefly grew in a space that size years ago. I ran a couple of 1kW HPS and a 400-watt MH on a sun circle (I believe that's what it was called; it was a long time ago and I bought (traded for) it used). That worked(+/-), but I knew even back then that I could have used a lot more light.

It'd be (far, lol) better to ask someone who's growing in that size of space now. If I were you, I'd post a thread with a subject such as "Suggested Lighting for 10'x10' Space?" or something like that. Maybe some people who have recent experience with spaces of around the same area will see it and chime in. I'm sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Watts only measures how much power (joules per second) goes into a lamp not how much light and heat is produced.

True, that.

Amare's flagship is too expensive for a unit that can cover 3x3

I agree, but those prices are far out of my league regardless of what they might be capable of buying, lol. IIRC, it was initially suggested that that particular panel (SE450-UVB) would be adequate for a 4'x4' space. I think - and I could be misremembering here - that someone stated it could produce the intensity of a 1,000-watt HPS, but not equal its coverage (footprint). Which I kind of shook my head at, because I'm guessing that much the same could be said of a 400-watt HPS... if you placed it close enough to your plants ;) . I was doing some web searching last year and saw that the company had a newer model out at the time, SE500 or 550, I don't remember which. One thing that impressed me greatly about that company was seeing that they actually built a model of LED panel that had ducts on either side so it could be hooked up to ventilation in the same way that one does an air-cooled HID fixture. I never could figure out why other LED grow light panel manufacturers never seemed to produce panels with that. Well, I could figure it out (at a guess) - the larger case it would entail would probably end up costing them a dollar or so extra after factoring in the amount they'd save by not including the cheap little fans that merely blow heated air around in the grow space <ROLLS EYES FURIOUSLY> .

BtW, thanks for the forum link. I'll have to read that thread after I take a little nap (I can definitely tell I'm getting older, lol; after not sleeping last night, only getting about two hours the day before, and sporadic sleep in the days previous... I just don't have enough left in me to stay awake until a decent bedtime tonight. Doggone it!)

Hi Guys and thank you the replies a do appreciate all the info I wll do what Tortured Soul said start a thread about suggested lighting for a 10x10 grow ten.Thank you all:thumb:

My guesstimate is that the lights you have cover 3' x 1,5' in flower-

For your 10x10 you can get 4x 600w (or 1000w) HID and place the LED's around them so you get overlapping coverage, no reason to throw away lights you already paid for ;)

I'm tick off i didnt do my home work correctly Yea ill keep them they do help but now i have to work fast and find solution these clones are going to grow sooner or later they need light if not i loose big

I'm tick off i didnt do my home work correctly Yea ill keep them they do help but now i have to work fast and find solution these clones are going to grow sooner or later they need light if not i loose big

As long as theyr'e in veg you only loose time ;)

I think 4x 600w HPS(preferably on digital ballasts) supported by your 8 LED's would be very good, and it's cheap upfront in cost, and you can save up for a high end replacement and learn more about LED while you wear out the ones you have ;)

If you want LED for an area that big you have to spend some serious dough, even if you do a DIY build.

As long as theyr'e in veg you only loose time ;)

I think 4x 600w HPS(preferably on digital ballasts) supported by your 8 LED's would be very good, and it's cheap upfront in cost, and you can save up for a high end replacement and learn more about LED while you wear out the ones you have ;)

If you want LED for an area that big you have to spend some serious dough, even if you do a DIY build.
I wish I had a 10 x 10, and I just built my space LMAO.

Lumen measures the intensity of light visible to the human eye, which peaks in the green spectrum.
This is only useable to determine the efficacy of a diode or bulb compared to one of the same type and color temperature.

Unless you paid +$500 for your meter, it's not accurate enough for PPFD measuring, only a few meters are good enough for that...

What kind of light do you use?

PGR, Have you done a comparison on different PAR meters? You mention that unless you pay $500 the meter will not be good enough for PPFD measuring. Why do you say that? I am curious because I have a Hydrofarm PAR meter and I am trying to find out if it is a decent unit.
Thanks, TTKaus

As far as I know the only good ones for LED is the Apogee MQ500, and I also heard about one called li-qor but I remember it as being a lot more expensive than the Apogee.
Thanks. I attempted to do a PPFD chart using my Hydrofarm PAR meter, it read much higher than someone else's reading using the Apogee MQ500 meter with the same light. It's been too cloudy here for the last couple of days to take my meter outside at midday to test the sun reading.

Klaus

As far as I know the only good ones for LED is the Apogee MQ500, and I also heard about one called li-qor but I remember it as being a lot more expensive than the Apogee.

I just did a "very quick and light" search for the MQ500. It didn't appear in the results, but I saw the underwater equivilant(?) - the MQ-510 - listed for $490. That causes me to assume that the MQ-500 might be priced somewhere in that neighborhood. Way too rich for me, of course. But it's less than I expected. If I knew ten cannabis growers "in the offline world," I might even try to get them to each contribute $50 against my organizing it and finding/purchasing one. A person wouldn't need this kind of tool every day, so it seems like it would be feasible for a group of people to go together on the purchase.

I've read that the BEST tool for measuring any artificial light source's output is an integrating sphere. But I've also read that those things easily cost five figures, so they're not going to be found in the home - or even warehouse - grower's toolkit. These are things that the manufacturing companies might have to test out their new designs before they begin production for the retail market. However, I did read that some colleges have one in their "hard sciences" department. For those living and growing in locations where it is considered legal to do so on the state level, and who also live near a (well-funded, lol?) university, it just might be possible for you to arrange to take one or more of your lights in and test it. Which, considering the cost of the hardware, would probably amount to you handing your light to someone and standing there while they test it ;) .

I would like to own some kind of device that either displayed the whole output of a light source on a graph, with absolute irradiance(?) levels on the left and wavelength on the bottom, for the entire spectrum from deep in the infrared to deep in the UV. Or even one that allowed me to program it so that it listed user-defined "chunks" of the spectrum and the amount of radiant energy for each. But... I am guessing that such a device would be worth several times its weight in gold :rolleyes: .

It would be nice to see more and more data/graphs/etc. of the output of artificial lights. Not just LED panels, but various wattage HPS and MH bulbs in several different air-cooled (and the generic el cheapo open) reflectors. But this sort of thing... Well, it could get very expensive, very fast.

THIS device looks very intriguing (and very expensive!).
Code:
https://gloptic.com/p/gl-spectis-5-0-touch/
Lab Grade Accuracy, Portable Design

With the Spectis 5.0 Touch optical spectrometer, the accuracy and configurability of portable light measurement devices has been taken to a new level. Until now, photometric and radiometric accuracy this high was only available in high end lab systems. Using this state-of-the-art spectral light measurement instrument, you can get lab grade data anywhere you go. Our light spectrometers are individually calibrated to deliver precise results quickly, with options to include our industry leading Spectrosoft Analysis suite for advanced analysis and reporting.

This truly unique LED spectrometer can be configured to cover an extended spectral range from UV to NIR using a single sensor, calibrated for absolute measurements from 200nm to 1050 nm. The practical design of this instrument allows for various types of measurements for a range of different applications. From UV measurements in Photobiological Safety tests through lab accuracy VIS range LED lamps evaluation to IR range tests of LEDs in medical application. The Spectis 5.0 optical spectrometer has you covered.

Horticulture and Photobiological Safety

Extended range calibration and high resolution allows for advanced measurement tasks like blue light safety exposure testing and lab level spectral analysis of any type of optical radiation between 300 and 1050nm. Optimize crops by ensuring the light levels across the spectra are sufficient.

And a quick glance at the product's specifications sheet tells me that it shouldn't choke on - or have its sensor burned out by - very high-output lights in a grow room environment.

But, again, I expect this product costs enough to build a grow room, complete with a set of lights/etc. Whenever I see a product page and there's a conspicuous button labeled "Request Quote," I know to not even ask how much the product costs.

Back
Top Bottom