Question on using foliar sprays for mites

AKgramma

I am using a foliar insecticide for organic grows (including edible fruits and veggies) since I ended up with a crop of mites. The instructions say it can be used up to the day of harvest, if need be, to control mites, as well as a host of molds and other insects. it is a mixture of JUST potassium salts and sulfur, and the instructions say to spray upper and lower surfaces to the point of runoff (meaning a good soaking).

I harvest old fan leaves and stems for tinctures, since I believe in using the whole plant for medicine.

My question is, should I rinse the dried leaves in water before putting into a vodka tincture? Should I trust that the compound is safe for consumption? Are the residual chemicals harmful if left on? Will the vodka neutralize the compounds over the month or two brewing period?

I am afraid to use it on my ladies in flower, but it might become necessary. I don't want a toxic product after all the time and money put into my closet grow.

What do you experienced medical MJ growers recommend?

Sulfer is the active ingredient there. Too much potassium can be a bad thing but too much sulfer comes long before that. I don't know about smoking but when eating or Drinking anything with a lot of sulfer it can cause some people lots of peoplems if they are sensitive to it. Me, I can eat it like crazy, my sister will be sick if she eats a salad from a salad bar or drinks a glass of wine. I personally still would wash everything first. Look up doc buds bud washing techniques

High Gramma

I would rinse the fan leaves while they are fresh off the plant then dry them. Nothing really harmful in that stuff, used it myself recently to get rid of mites and thrips, but it may have an off-taste to it. If your ladies are early in flower it should be fine too. The day after spraying you can use clean water to remove most of the residue as well.

Shine a strong light on your plant from the side while spraying. Makes it a lot easier to see any missed spots on the undersides where the little buggers like to hide. Miss a few spots and they are back in no time. Hit them every 3 days for 4 treatments to get adults as they hatch and are yet too young to lay more eggs. Mite eggs look like little globes. Almost like trichs without the stalks on the undersides of the leaves. Easy to spot with even a low powered magnifying glass.

Good luck!

L8r

Thanks, Oldmeduser! I only trim a few leaves a day and set them aside to dry before putting them in the bin, and some of them are very tiny. So rinsing every day can be a PITA, while I'm waiting till the bin fills up for the next tincture. But at this stage, it's not too late to add the rinse to my daily routine.

The dried leaves are already crushed. I might try a rinse through a fine strainer to clean those up.

Sulfer is the active ingredient there. Too much potassium can be a bad thing but too much sulfer comes long before that. I don't know about smoking but when eating or Drinking anything with a lot of sulfer it can cause some people lots of peoplems if they are sensitive to it. Me, I can eat it like crazy, my sister will be sick if she eats a salad from a salad bar or drinks a glass of wine. I personally still would wash everything first. Look up doc buds bud washing techniques

You have a URL for this? I don't have a clue what to put in the search windows.

Her problem is caused by sulphides used as a preservative in wines and to prevent salads from going brown. Plant sprays use elemental sulfur and don't generally bother anyone.

L8r

Yes that is correct OMU, I still am cautious about consuming anything in excess or even base elements of another harmful substance. It may have zero side effects like you say and that would be great if it works for mites and is harmless. However as soon as you ignite any substance with a flame things change quickly. I prefer to err on the side of caution and lots of people really like washed buds too. Win win for bud washing

WOW, folks! I learned something new today! Since I am in early flower of my second grow, I will follow Doc Bud's recommendations with the bud washing and leave on the sugar leaves. The extra work required for washing will offset not trimming sugar leaves, and should make the family very happy with the end product.

Back
Top Bottom