Questions for experienced Blueberry Growers

buzz62

HI, My main question: Is Blueberry slower growing, and slower to flower than most varieties?

2nd Question: Are the female flowers differen't in some way?

I have two Blueberry plants from Crop King that are just over two months old and two others, a kush and a Original Skunk from Crop KIng, and I have pulled clones to determine the gender. Overall, the bluberries are much slower to grow or flower compared to the other two, the kush and the skunk revealed themselves a week ago, and the Blueberries finally, maybe, seems to be flowering from dead centre of the new growth in a hairy ball of small stigmas and nowhere else, and not from either side of the node around a stem like the others did at first? I can't quite yet get a pix of the Bberry clone in flower as I can hardly see them with a loupe, I will as soon as I can.

Clockwise from top left, Skunk, Blueberry, Kush, Blueberry. The Blueberries are on buckets of screws as they are far shorter.

Blueberry leaf

Blueberry, the leaves seem to take more of a bowel shape than the other varietes, which seem flatter generally to me

I have grown "Blueberry" before, years ago - but it was not Crop King Seeds' specific version of it. It definitely did not seem to be a fast grower (from what I recall). At the time, I attributed this to its relatively high indica content (although the other two strains you are growing in there also have indica in their makeup). I also seem to remember that it was not terribly unusual to notice leaves that were just a little bit different (I won't say, "abnormal.") than the generic indica(ish) leaf, at least initially with seedlings. Ah... Think of flat-leaved parsley vs. the varieties that people variously refer to as "crinkled," "ruffled," et cetera - although nowhere near that extreme.

You stated that your plants are two+ months old. I am mildly surprised that are not able to find what we generally refer to as "preflowers" on your plants at this time, which would have caused you to not need to root clones in order to determine sex of their mothers. Are those plants in fact sexually mature (already producing staggered node growth, as opposed to still producing the side-by-side branches that immature cannabis does)? If not, remember that the biological age of any clone is that of its mother. In other words, if the parent plant is not mature enough to flower, then any cuttings from said parent will also not be ready. (I must state that significantly different lighting may affect this, somewhat - but I would not expect the difference in plant development between the two to be huge, even then.)

The above is, of course, merely my opinion combined with my failing memory, lol.

I have a package of Blueberry seeds from CKS that I got late last year. Therefore, I am interested in anything you learn about this particular strain, be it from personal experience or from what others who have grown it end up telling you.

You stated that your plants are two+ months old. I am mildly surprised that are not able to find what we generally refer to as "preflowers" on your plants at this time, which would have caused you to not need to root clones in order to determine sex of their mothers. Are those plants in fact sexually mature (already producing staggered node growth, as opposed to still producing the side-by-side branches that immature cannabis does)? If not, remember that the biological age of any clone is that of its mother. In other words, if the parent plant is not mature enough to flower, then any cuttings from said parent will also not be ready. (I must state that significantly different lighting may affect this, somewhat - but I would not expect the difference in plant development between the two to be huge, even then.)

Thanks for the great reply TS. The two Blueberries have not shown any preflowers until now, a week later than the other two varieties. I went with sexing the clones due to lack of space. I wanted to be sure of the sex, and have some proven clones to start vegging already to keep it going!

Oddly, on each BB mother, I have examples of staggered, side by side, and tri nodes from the very start. All lighting, nutes water timing are identical for all 4 of my plants as they have been roommates from the get go. One clone from each plant is side by side, and the other two are offset, and all are finally showing the odd pistol.

BtW, there's an h in "photography" ;) .

I went looking for spud-shots, lol.

Oh, wait... Pot... ography. <SHRUGS> I guess that works.

I have grown a few blueberries Buzz. I have a dutch passion auto going right now that is about 4 weeks old. It took almost 5 days for it to pop above soil. Usually my Autos tend to start showing signs of flowering around the 3rd week. This one took 4 weeks, so I would say that yes they do seem to grow a little slower than most of my other strains. You can follow my grow in the link below. I hope this helps.

Thanks Retrix, these are slower and quite different in their appearance. The pistils, for instance, are far shorter than what I am used to seeing which made it hard to sex initially. The mothers have only been flipped a week and are already flowering so it may have also been a maturity issue for that strain. Some pix for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom