Buzz's Grow Journal #3: Crown Royale & Shiskaberry

buzz62

High all! Dropped two seeds on the 19th of January, a Crown Royale from Crop King, and a Shiskaberry seed that I received with some commercial produced weed that is a huge seed, but does not quite look mature. But worth trying! After one day in a glass, and straight into Sunshine #4 the CR has emerged today, and I will give the Shiska a few more days to see if it sprouts. I seem to be gravitating toward the berries, as the Shiska is a Blueberry Afghani cross, and the Crown Royal is a Blueberry Purple Kush cross. I will post some pix once I see some green! I will also be running a CK Blueberry clone with these as I have her ready and going in my clone tent.

My setup:
5x10x10 grow room with a 5x5 curtained grow on one end and my mother/clone tent on the other.
3 CF Grow X-2 Cob 3590 lights.
600 w MH/HPS as a backup light source/heater
Sunshine #4 peat
Advanced Nutrients Sensi line running at 90% of recommended rate with RO water
AN voodoo juice and AN Big Bud.
Humidity and/or heat controlled ventilating fan

all subbed up and coming along for the ride! what medium are you using? :slide:

Hey thanks for watching! Sunshine #4 balanced peat/dolomite. And I'm just outside the Queen City of the prairies, Regina, "the city that rhymes with fun" as Mick Jagger once said at a concert here!! I think that was polite! :ganjamon:

So the shiska still hasn't germinated, I looked! i left it in and put another Crown Royale in the pot, without the usual 1 day soak, but I'm confident it will grow as well. Pix is from yesterday, today has already shed it's helmut and is doing good. Dead centre, really!

So the shiska has not germinated but the Crown Royale I just stuck in the peat last Wednesday (6 days ago) is up and doing fine. I will transplant today, but this time I will remove it from its coco pot, as I discovered that they do not degrade in the peat mixtue, probably because I water mostly from the bottom. I dissected a rootball for fun and found a hard little coco pot in the centre!!

Yeah, more crown royale. One of mine CR looks great. The other has a darker green and more rigid texture. It’s as if the second plant is less flexible???
Good
E68CD0D2-3D3A-4348-9107-DA6AB4B73B61.jpeg
40E8E947-9525-49DC-BAA2-E1D36C6937DF.jpeg

Stiffer and darker green #2
9CF9ACDF-6214-4A89-82D6-9C9203EB610C.jpeg
94B902AC-37BF-4145-903A-2676A8B59C1B.jpeg

Yeah, more crown royale. One of mine CR looks great. The other has a darker green and more rigid texture. It’s as if the second plant is less flexible???
Good
40E8E947-9525-49DC-BAA2-E1D36C6937DF.jpeg

Stiffer and darker green #2
94B902AC-37BF-4145-903A-2676A8B59C1B.jpeg
The difference is gene expression I think. The 2nd one seems more like the blueberry strain I have, denser, more texture to the leaves, generally darker,less sawtoothed, and the new sprouts are less organized at first. Its a cross, and if its not that set in the line yet, it could easily drift between blueberry and purple kush traits. So I wouldn't label one either good or bad, just different!! Time will tell with my two, thanks for throwing up the pix, nice to see whats coming!

Sounds like a sweet grow. Lots of berries! I’ll hang around for the ride if you don’t mind. Another Canadian here. Near Toronto.

All are welcome! I guess I'm kinda partial to the berry lineage, as I just love the taste! Here's a pix of a blueberry that s just finishing. Journal #2

All are welcome! I guess I'm kinda partial to the berry lineage, as I just love the taste! Here's a pix of a blueberry that s just finishing. Journal #2

Purple!! That looks very yummy. I’m sure that’ll be one to enjoy.

Hey buzz, I'm going to sit in on this grow as well, lots of Canadians here in this one. I noticed you said you're from close to Regina, I think you're the closest I've found to me on here. I'm living east of Estevan. I will for sure be around to watch this one!

@BobbyZ I think your #2 crown royale is likely a different phenotype all together and might need less nitrogen. Those leaves are extra dark and starting to claw at the tips, this is usually first signs of nitrogen toxicity. If it gets worse, they will get even darker and almost start swelling and shrivelling.

@BobbyZ I think your #2 crown royale is likely a different phenotype all together and might need less nitrogen. Those leaves are extra dark and starting to claw at the tips, this is usually first signs of nitrogen toxicity. If it gets worse, they will get even darker and almost start swelling and shrivelling.

Yeah this was kind of a crapshoot... I harvested a plant, pulled the root ball and recycled the soil (roots and all). I did do a good flush, but you never know... Thanks for the input.
:passitleft:

Yeah this was kind of a crapshoot... I harvested a plant, pulled the root ball and recycled the soil (roots and all). I did do a good flush, but you never know... Thanks for the input.
That might be your issue. If thats ph balanced peat, i.e sunshine #4, your using, it really shouldn't be reused as the dolomite lime (calcium magnesium carbonate) used to ph balance the mix, is usually depleted by the plant, and also, as Dick pointed out, leaves a possible residual nutes issue. And flushing to remove salts can deplete the lime even more leaving you with acidic peat. Kinda a lose lose scenario when a giant bag of #4 is cheap, and predictable!
If you run your nutes light for a while on that darker one you will see if its got enough. Last time I ran mine at about 85%, and had no burning issues and they seemed to grow mighty fast regardless!

I’m taking a seat. Twisting one .. and sitting back for the ride. Will be doing crown royale in my next grow in about 6 weeks. Cheers and happy growing. Magic

Ps. From Vancouver island

That might be your issue. If thats ph balanced peat, i.e sunshine #4, your using, it really shouldn't be reused as the dolomite lime (calcium magnesium carbonate) used to ph balance the mix, is usually depleted by the plant, and also, as Dick pointed out, leaves a possible residual nutes issue. And flushing to remove salts can deplete the lime even more leaving you with acidic peat. Kinda a lose lose scenario when a giant bag of #4 is cheap, and predictable!
If you run your nutes light for a while on that darker one you will see if its got enough. Last time I ran mine at about 85%, and had no burning issues and they seemed to grow mighty fast regardless!
It is fox farm ocean soil. Yeah I knew it would be risky, but it could be done. So no tears on this one. I’m just running normal and adjusting when necessary. The stalks are fat. I wonder if the root systems can attach and use the old one?
:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom