First Time Grower! 2x4x5 Tent With 400W MH/HPS Growing Critical+ 2.0 Photo

playerunknown

Hey guys! This here is my first attempt ever at growing my own cannabis. My father always had grows going on in the basement that I was fascinated with even before I knew what cannabis was, so I figured I'd take my shot at it (hopefully with some tips from him and all of you experienced growers!).

So my setup is as follows:
-2x4x5 vivosun grow tent
-400W dimmable ballast
-Air cooled hood
-400W MH&HPS bulbs
-6" inline duct fan
-7" desk fan for air circulation
-humidifier to keep it from getting too dry.

I'm growing 3 feminized critical+2.0 seeds from dynafem. I'm growing them in soil and will be using the foragro trio for nutes. Their final pot will be a 5 gallon vivosun fabric pot. I intend to manifold/mainline these plants as I don't have a lot of vertical space to deal with. ideally would like my plants to be 2.75-3ft at harvest as to not get to close to the light.

I'm a little late on starting this so this first post is a long one but after this I'll be checking in weekly, if not sooner. Included I've got a photo of the exterior of the tent and current progress. The final seedling pushed through on sunday October 21'st so I counted the 22'nd as day one of the seedling being alive (correct me if that's not proper). I transplanted the seedlings into solo cups today with the pete moss pellet. Also I've dropped my light down to 250w for this grow. the 400w was getting too hot and I don't feel 250w in a 2x4x5 will be a bad thing (Again, correct me if i'm wrong).

WELL, I think that just about catches us all up! I look forward to hearing everybody's feedback and (hopefully) tips!
Stay High, Playerunknown.
IMG_5831.JPG
IMG_5831.JPG
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5794.JPG
IMG_5837.JPG
IMG_5832.JPG
IMG_5833.JPG
IMG_5834.JPG
IMG_5835.JPG

playerunknown, I will help you in anyway possible. I have a couple questions, 1st., how did it get hot in there, if you got an air cooled hood ? And 2d. question is, can you possibly use this tent for a veg tent, and get a higher one for bloom. A 4x4 is 6.5-7.0 high, so you wouldn't be fighting the height issue. You're gonna be fighting that height issue every grow. Welcome to 420 Magazine and Good luck !
I just recently started growing in super soil, and the jury is still out. 10 days into bloom today. I grew them pretty much like you're speaking of doing with yours. Mainlined them for 8 colas, in 10 gal bags of super soil. No nutrients yet, and thats 9 weeks veg., and 10 days bloom. if this is your 1st. grow, I advise you to use no more than 1/2 of recommended dosage of all nutrients, and especially tiger bloom and especially when your plants are young, like now. I'm hoping that organic weed is better, than what I can grow quicker with chemicals, I'll let you know about Xmas. 10-11 week sativas, which is a new thing for me, as i usually stick with the 8 week strains . i'm smoking that critical that you're growing now, was grew outside this summer. Critical is good potent strain, and a good yield.

Thanks for tuning in! Not quite sure how it got so warm to be honest, the highest temp I hit was 91 but still higher than I would really like. the humidifier and the fan have helped out a great deal and is keeping it a very nice temperature now (the photo of the hygrometer was taken about an hour ago). As for the tent situation a larger tent isn't really in the picture AS OF YET. I'm hoping to order a larger tent after I harvest this first grow so that I can get a veg tent and a flower tent. I'd like to do LED's in the veg and then HPS in the flower. My main question at this time, going into the technical day 2 of my grow, is the nutes schedule. My nutes have a drain to waste program made specially and they have a week of it dedicated to seedlings. I'm wondering if it's too soon to give them nutes or not? My soil is just a basic potting soil recommended from my hydroponic store to use with nutes, meaning it has no nutrients included in the soil. I've made up my nute water today, 2ml floramicro, 1ml florabloom, 1ml, floragrow in a 1 gallon jug so it's ready for when I need it. I watered today after transplanting to the solo cup so I'm thinking of giving the nute water on the next watering? what are your thoughts? also should I be giving nutes every other watering? this is the main question I've been stumped on while doing all research on my grow. I've done extensive research and I feel that's a question best left for someone with experience. CHEERS

Well I've gotta say, as a new grower it's nice that the seedlings are transplanted into the solo cup. Having to water the pete moss pellets every few hours really makes for a pain in the behind when I've got lectures from 8am-8pm! Day 2 of seedling and I'm seeing nice progress. I watered on October 22 at about 7 pm and I'm thinking the moisture will last until the 24'th around the same time in which I'll give a low shot of nutes. I'm getting very excited to go through this journey with everybody!
Cheers!
day 2.JPG
day  2.JPG
day2.JPG

playerunknown, I will help you in anyway possible. I have a couple questions, 1st., how did it get hot in there, if you got an air cooled hood ? And 2d. question is, can you possibly use this tent for a veg tent, and get a higher one for bloom. A 4x4 is 6.5-7.0 high, so you wouldn't be fighting the height issue. You're gonna be fighting that height issue every grow. Welcome to 420 Magazine and Good luck !
I just recently started growing in super soil, and the jury is still out. 10 days into bloom today. I grew them pretty much like you're speaking of doing with yours. Mainlined them for 8 colas, in 10 gal bags of super soil. No nutrients yet, and thats 9 weeks veg., and 10 days bloom. if this is your 1st. grow, I advise you to use no more than 1/2 of recommended dosage of all nutrients, and especially tiger bloom and especially when your plants are young, like now. I'm hoping that organic weed is better, than what I can grow quicker with chemicals, I'll let you know about Xmas. 10-11 week sativas, which is a new thing for me, as i usually stick with the 8 week strains . i'm smoking that critical that you're growing now, was grew outside this summer. Critical is good potent strain, and a good yield.
sorry Slowpuffer! I'm new here and didn't realize that I had to actually reply to you in order for you to get a notification (kind of silly I know). So I'm replying now in hope you'll see my reply :)

sorry Slowpuffer! I'm new here and didn't realize that I had to actually reply to you in order for you to get a notification (kind of silly I know). So I'm replying now in hope you'll see my reply :)
As long as they’re green, I’d give them straight tap water, phed to 5.8. When the leaves start changing to a lime green, then start feeding them. I’ve never used those nutrients, so maybe someone else will help you there. And if you’re there a lot and can check them often, then try and let them dry out till they are close to wilting, before watering. Where you going from here, 1 gal Bags??

I've never grown my own weed either..will be keeping and eye on that one as i plan for it next year..
Seems a good setup..good luck
Feel free to follow and see how it goes! I'm not the most knowledgeable by any meant but hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes! :D
Cheers!

As long as they’re green, I’d give them straight tap water, phed to 5.8. When the leaves start changing to a lime green, then start feeding them. I’ve never used those nutrients, so maybe someone else will help you there. And if you’re there a lot and can check them often, then try and let them dry out till they are close to wilting, before watering. Where you going from here, 1 gal Bags??
Only reason I'm thinking of hitting with nutes is because on the table provided with my nute trio, it's got a week designated for "seedling". I was gonna go to the 5 gallon fabric pots I've got but the more I read the more I feel like it's a bad idea. Ideally I'd like to transplant only once more before putting them into the 5 gallons as I'm not experienced by any means in transplants. do you feel going to 1 gallon then 5 is suitable?
Cheers.

Only reason I'm thinking of hitting with nutes is because on the table provided with my nute trio, it's got a week designated for "seedling". I was gonna go to the 5 gallon fabric pots I've got but the more I read the more I feel like it's a bad idea. Ideally I'd like to transplant only once more before putting them into the 5 gallons as I'm not experienced by any means in transplants. do you feel going to 1 gallon then 5 is suitable?
Cheers.
That's what i do, but going straight to 5 gal. will work also. I go from Dixie cups to 1 gal., to whatever my final pot is. I let them get pretty large in the 1 gal., and when It gets to I'm watering every day, I go to my final pot. The fabric bags make it so much easier to transplant
And as far as how you feed them, I don't feed plants till about 3 weeks old, unless I'm growing hydroponically using coco, for a medium. Coco has nothing in it, so plant will need food 1st. day. Are you using Pro mix or something similar?

That's what i do, but going straight to 5 gal. will work also. I go from Dixie cups to 1 gal., to whatever my final pot is. I let them get pretty large in the 1 gal., and when It gets to I'm watering every day, I go to my final pot. The fabric bags make it so much easier to transplant
And as far as how you feed them, I don't feed plants till about 3 weeks old, unless I'm growing hydroponically using coco, for a medium. Coco has nothing in it, so plant will need food 1st. day. Are you using Pro mix or something similar?
yes I'm using pro mix I got from my local hydroponic store.

When i used pro mix, i mixed it with 25% perlite. And there's not much in it, so start feeding at like 1/2 recommended dose. I've never used the nutrient brand, that you have, but they're all similar. But my advise is to always error on the low side, when it comes to nutrients, less is more !! I'm using a super soil, that requires no nutrients, but I will be using the stonington blend nutrient pack soon.

When i used pro mix, i mixed it with 25% perlite. And there's not much in it, so start feeding at like 1/2 recommended dose. I've never used the nutrient brand, that you have, but they're all similar. But my advise is to always error on the low side, when it comes to nutrients, less is more !! I'm using a super soil, that requires no nutrients, but I will be using the stonington blend nutrient pack soon.
Thank you Puffer! I really appreciate the advice! A little bit of clarity is better than complete darkness if you ask me :)

Cheers!

Hey unknown I’m subbed up and following along. Looking good so far.

What nutes are you using ?
I'm using the floragrow trio! it contains floramicro, floragrow, and florabloom! Very easy to use system so far. In the seedling stage for this week It's only 2ml-micro, 1ml-grow and bloom per 1 gallon. relatively cheap and very highly recommended by a lot of people I spoke to and forums I visited. thanks for subbing up and look forward to having you along this journey :D

I'm using the floragrow trio! it contains floramicro, floragrow, and florabloom! Very easy to use system so far. In the seedling stage for this week It's only 2ml-micro, 1ml-grow and bloom per 1 gallon. relatively cheap and very highly recommended by a lot of people I spoke to and forums I visited. thanks for subbing up and look forward to having you along this journey :D

I can’t say I have any experience with flora but I do know a few on here running it. I can suggest starting low with nute solution in any form general rule is starting at 1/4 strength and seeing how the plant react.

As you introduce nutes just watch what your plants tell you! They are always talking and have something to say.

Looking forward to helping you to your first harvest! These plants are absolutely amazing!

Looking good in here. Seedlings are up and healthy and that's half the battle for a new grower so congrats!

So you want some quad-line training info? and with only 3 feet to play with, your going to need it!

And likely a supercrop lesson but we can wait for that :D You still have time until the first step so let them grow and keep them healthy for now. You are waiting for 5 complete nodes (count above the cotyledon leaves) once you are there we can do a step by step, if that's helpful.
Not my plant for this before but it will do
21DAB8AA-D4C5-48B7-801B-FE89FFBABA3D.jpeg

And my gal after I did this same thing to her Kona Gold
1FF687B6-97D9-4C34-BFDC-C03E0076A55A.jpeg

Only nodes 3 and 4 are left!
Now she looks like this
4CEF3A5B-577E-4A93-A86E-BCCA6D8FF045.jpeg

You can kinda see the nodes 3/4 in that pic and they make a #crosscrossapplesauce look:D

Looking good in here. Seedlings are up and healthy and that's half the battle for a new grower so congrats!

So you want some quad-line training info? and with only 3 feet to play with, your going to need it!

And likely a supercrop lesson but we can wait for that :D You still have time until the first step so let them grow and keep them healthy for now. You are waiting for 5 complete nodes (count above the cotyledon leaves) once you are there we can do a step by step, if that's helpful.
Not my plant for this before but it will do
21DAB8AA-D4C5-48B7-801B-FE89FFBABA3D.jpeg

And my gal after I did this same thing to her Kona Gold
1FF687B6-97D9-4C34-BFDC-C03E0076A55A.jpeg

Only nodes 3 and 4 are left!
Now she looks like this
4CEF3A5B-577E-4A93-A86E-BCCA6D8FF045.jpeg

You can kinda see the nodes 3/4 in that pic and they make a #crosscrossapplesauce look:D
Awesome! thanks so much can't wait to have you by my side on my inaugural grow! Hopefully you can help me turn this yield into something I'll talk about for ages!

Happy Friday everybody! I hope everybody's had a good week and an even better weekend planned! Today marks day 5 since my girls have broken through the dirt and I've got to tell you I'm thrilled! I've learned a few things over the few days and experimented with nutes that the girls seem to be loving :D I learned that when I come home from the bar, I cannot use the microwave and toaster at the same time otherwise it will blow my breaker and I'll have a mini freak-out lol. So without further ado, here are the ladies of the hour!
day 5 hygro.jpg
day 5 leighton.jpg
day 5 mack.jpg
day 5 JLO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom