Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

Hey Rad are you having any issues with the Japanese Beatles this year? Heard they are out in force. Had a few friends gardens hit pretty bad.

Japanese Beetles are chowing down on our Zinnia's, (skeletonized 2 plants,) but not doing much other damage. My loving bride just identified what they were this morning.

Tube's awesome. Had a 9' cherry tomatoe in a 3" pot last year lol. Yes. Brussels sprouts, baby broccoli and a couple of sweet peppers. Too crowded.

Picked my first banana pepper of the season today - good thickness in the pepper meat - yum!

We got a break in the weather today, 75F with 60% humidity (much better than the 95F and 85 RH yesterday,) so I've been laying pavers in the back yard,
Trying to lay a doughnut shape around the fountain without having a good center point to inscribe a circle. My wife came out and said, it's just for us, no need to be perfect - once she said that things sped up quite a bit. I am taking breaks when the sweat drips all over my glasses, so I probably only got 5 hours of actual work in today.

20170724_165407.jpg

Now that I know a where the high spot is, and the proper angles between bricks, the work has started to go faster. :)

It's wonderful to watch somebody else working. ;)

Sorry that I don't have time to chip in much, but I love your garden, Rad. It's a very welcome break from admining.

Thank you for this thread. :circle-of-love:

PS Morning Glories already? :goodjob: Ours don't pop until September. And then they face the sun over the fence, not the Teddies.

It's wonderful to watch somebody else working. ;)

Sorry that I don't have time to chip in much, but I love your garden, Rad. It's a very welcome break from admining.

Thank you for this thread. :circle-of-love:

PS Morning Glories already? :goodjob: Ours don't pop until September. And then they face the sun over the fence, not the Teddies.

We had an early spring here - South facing fence and free standing trellises give us lots of angles on the flowers :)

Hi Rado. I see the enchanted yard of wizardly whimsy continues to be built upon! Is it in a new location? Geesh I've been gone too long. Sorry for that. I hope that will end. Anyways I just wanted to stop by and say hi :) and give a little virtual hug. so :hug:

That was nice. You still smell of longbottom leaf though. I myself need to lay off the mushrooms. :laughtwo:

I will stop by again not so far between visits. Promise. You're in my thoughts. :love:

I PM'ed you bright, cuz its been too long and I didn't want to take over Rado's amazing garden thread. :love:

Hi Rado. I see the enchanted yard of wizardly whimsy continues to be built upon! Is it in a new location? Geesh I've been gone too long. Sorry for that. I hope that will end. Anyways I just wanted to stop by and say hi :) and give a little virtual hug. so :hug:

That was nice. You still smell of longbottom leaf though. I myself need to lay off the mushrooms. :laughtwo:

I will stop by again not so far between visits. Promise. You're in my thoughts. :love:

You'll be pleased to know I appear in a short independent film, currently being edited, as a sorcerer. An extra. No speaking part :)
HUGS :hug:

I just added my new garden location on to the thread with old location - probably should have started a new thread :)

It's great to hear from you. Life has challenges for everyone, but I know you've had more than your fair share already, so I understand when you are elsewhere - just missed you :)

This is a great time for me to share recent pictures of the backyard and courtyard under construction.

First impression in the morning is always a Morning Glory vine. Since we didn't decide on permanent vines, annual morning glories went everyhere.

20170801_091310.jpg

Standing on the back porch surveying our little domain.

20170804_080353.jpg

Morning Glory to the left

20170801_092121-1.jpg

Corn and pear tomato in the back left

20170801_091653-1.jpg

20170801_091723-1.jpg

Tall sunflowers in the back

20170801_091637-1.jpg

Courtyard being paved around the fountain.

20170804_080421-1.jpg

Stopping to put on my boots

20170801_091324-1.jpg

Close look at a Morning Glory

20170804_080454-1.jpg

The fountain needs it's daily watering (along with the front fountain and birdbath.)

20170804_080535-1.jpg

Japanese beetles are attacking the leaves, but the hardy hibiscus keeps on blooming.
The Morning Glory climbing the hibiscus was moved to a trellis after this photo.)

20170801_091349-1.jpg

More Morning Glory flowers - they'll be gone by noon.

20170804_080559-1.jpg

I planted the Butterfly Bush and Rose of Sharon too close together - things grow fast here.

20170801_091449-1.jpg

Skirret

20170801_091512-1.jpg

Another damn Morning Glory

20170801_091546-1.jpg

A short sunflower. The tall ones (11-13' tall) don't photograph easily.

20170801_091601-1.jpg

I've never grown corn before

I tried it a few years ago. Got a little love from them, but only a few smaller ears.
I've been told that you have to plant a fairly large group of them with the outer fringes being 'sacrificial' growth and the inner area producing the ears.
I don't really have the room, so I've not re-visited the idea. Some day when I have an acre or two....

I tried it a few years ago. Got a little love from them, but only a few smaller ears.
I've been told that you have to plant a fairly large group of them with the outer fringes being 'sacrificial' growth and the inner area producing the ears.
I don't really have the room, so I've not re-visited the idea. Some day when I have an acre or two....

I read that corn stalks are wind pollinated, so what I did was when walking my rounds past the corn patch, I took a stalk in my hands waved it back and forth so the tops change direction over the neighboring stalks. 2 seconds for each stalk, 2 rows of 10-15 stalks, so it took about a minute. When the individual silks get pollinated, they turn from white to brown and the individual kernels develop. Except for a few rows near the pointy end, my corn rows look fully pollinated.

I have about 40 corn cobs growing in a 2x5' patch.

[COLOR="#0000420"]Swallowtails[/COLOR]

A Pipevine Swallowtail fluttering in the courtyard. This is the first time I've seen one.

20170820_172517-2.jpg

Pipevine Swallowtail slowed down it's flapping for photo.

20170820_172539-1.jpg

Flapping again. This is the fastest wing flapping and mostest wing flapping swallowtail I've ever seen.

20170820_172621-1.jpg

Tiger Swallowtail in lower left

20170821_121058-1.jpg

Tiger Swallowtail (male)

20170821_121124.jpg

Eclipse feedback

Awesome!
Our front yard view of the eclipse was officially 93%

3 pairs of optometrists eye dialation sunglasses was just about right - 2 pairs when the crescent was climbing atop the darkness like a cap and becoming a crescent on the other side. 6 of 7 people who looked through them, their first word was the same: Wow!

Dang autofocus cell phone cameras wouldn't focus on infinity - so no photos. :straightface: I'm sure NASA took better pictures anyway. :rofl:

Cicadas and a cricket were going for about 10 minutes near the peak. The only bird we saw was a hawk, but we don't always have birds in the yards. The normal amount of bees and butterflies.

Oh my gosh did you see the shadows during the eclipse Rado? The weirdness of leaves' shadows during it all blew my mind :) I was also near a lake, so we could watch the eclipse in the reflection of the water.

As to where I've been - oh ya know just wherever the trail decides to blaze me :grinjoint: ...I'm actually really excited this week. I just got a promotion at work :) I'm at a MIP (Marijuana Infused Products) license in Denver now, I was doing packaging and promotional events and compliance, but now I'm gonna get involved in the fun stuff in the lab! Actual extraction! :party: I'll be running a CO2 machine, and doing distillation and all sorts of other fun stuff now! We recently found out how to isolate small batch strain specific terpenes and refine them, and we source really nice organic bud, so those terps are incredible and oh I could go on forever but the jist is, we really make some nice hash. :circle-of-love:

Oh my gosh did you see the shadows during the eclipse Rado? The weirdness of leaves' shadows during it all blew my mind :) I was also near a lake, so we could watch the eclipse in the reflection of the water.

As to where I've been - oh ya know just wherever the trail decides to blaze me :grinjoint: ...I'm actually really excited this week. I just got a promotion at work :) I'm at a MIP (Marijuana Infused Products) license in Denver now, I was doing packaging and promotional events and compliance, but now I'm gonna get involved in the fun stuff in the lab! Actual extraction! :party: I'll be running a CO2 machine, and doing distillation and all sorts of other fun stuff now! We recently found out how to isolate small batch strain specific terpenes and refine them, and we source really nice organic bud, so those terps are incredible and oh I could go on forever but the jist is, we really make some nice hash. :circle-of-love:

I have some nice photos of the eclipse on my thread SoilGirl. :hug::hug::hug:

I have some nice photos of the eclipse on my thread SoilGirl. :hug::hug::hug:

Saw some nice ones over there at Sues :)

The shadows didn't cooperate, we had a breeze. Watching reflections in the wavelets sounds exra special.

Something extra ordinary happened during the eclipse.
I typed a lot more but it's deleted. (It's not a story I should tell, even though I want to tell it.)

SoilGirl, congratulations on your MIP career (not just a job anymore.) One of the requirements to gain indendence and make things work on your own is collecting that steady income.

Back
Top Bottom