Ravenplume Grow Journal 2020-01: Feyleaf Candidates, 2019, Nursery Style

Ravenplume

Time to get a new one going. My 2019 grow, from a couple opportunity seeds found in a bag of Tardis bought in December 2018 not only has been giving me some decent highs, but it is also providing plenty of seeds for experimentation on my path to breeding my first strain, which I will be calling Feyleaf. The flowers these came from were pollinated from the Sour Banana Sherbert plant that was also from an opportunity seed. Since they were seeds found in purchased bags, I am presuming that the pollen that made them is of unknown lineage, so I am considering the parent seeds to be half breeds, and the resulting seeds like wuarter each or something, siluted enough I can make it the base for my first breeding.

So to begin, on 24-JAN while processing a branch from the 2019 Tardis grow, I decided why not see if the seeds are good? So I filled a yogurt cup with warmish tap water, dumped in a small handful of seeds (later count revealed 26 total), and put them in the bottom drawer of a nightstand in my office area that I call the Rookery, and left them in total darkness, checking on them a couple times per day.

Then on the 27th, I opened the drawer to find this...

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-00.jpg

A whole bunch of new seedlings were born. Oh, next to them is another experiment. I wanted to see if I could get a seed to sprout by just planting it in dirt and bypassing the germinating pool altogether. No sign of life there yet, but it would probably take a few days for it to break the surface after sprouting.

Since I still needed to get a new 4 fingered DFL bulb for the sunlamp on the Rookery desk, I let them stay in darkness an extra day. So on the night of the 28th, I took a bunch of little plastic cups that I got from Dollar Tree, labeled them, and filled them with good rich soil from my front yard (startled a fat nightcrawler when I turned on the flashlight on it. Forgot how fast those buggers can be. In total, 19 seeds out of the 26 had germinated. Of those 19, 2 were victims of my clumsiness, and 17 were planted, numbered 00-16.

Here is how they were at bedtime that first night...

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-01.JPG

Next morning, the 29th, I noticed several of them were already starting to pop up. I should have snapped a picture of them at that point, but oops. So to finish for now, here is how they looked at bedtime tonight, which was about a half hour ago, after about 16 hours of light.

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-02.jpg

I have a feeling some of these are going to be properly upright by morning.

I'm hoping for at least one male out of these, possibly 2; which would be kept vegetative indoors until I'm ready to have one bust a nut on one select female. And that should give me a pure baseline to start with, which I will be named Feyleaf. I suppose that once I have my Ma and Pa plants chosen, the others can become the base for other lines. After all, in the two ounces we bought back in December, Sour Sunset, and Mr. Clean, I found opportunity seeds, and those will get started in Spring. I am thinking that if either turn out to be male, then they can be pollen donors for one or two others of these babies, and if female, a couple flowers of each can be pollenated by other male Feyleaf Candidates that we may have.

And I will say up front, I don't care what attributes the baseline Feyleaf has, as long s it gives decent smoke. And frankly, the only smoke I haven't particularly enjoyed was the Laughing Buddah, or Smiling Buddah, or whatever one was not the Indian nuke test. It is all good, and whatever I get will be fine as the base for further breedings.

I have to say, I am having a blast with this, and am finding it best to just wing it and experiment, and see what happens. Now for a good night's sleep, while still buzzing from that last bowl of Tardis Lite (what I am calling my smokable stuff from the Tardis grow, due to it being a half breed.

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-00.jpgGJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-01.JPG

And this morning, more nice progress is showing on the babies...

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-03.JPG

And now, I will probably only do 2 additional updates (bedtime tonight and wakie tomorrow), then nothing more until the first one starts showing its baby leaves.

At bedtime tonight, we see most are thriving quite nicely.

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-04.JPG

3 have already shed their seed shell, 2 are real slow in growing, and the "runt" still hasn't shown any additional sign of life. I went ahead and raised them up 4 inches, making them about 6 inches under the light. When they are ready to be transplanted into styrofoam cups, I will bring them back down to desk level. I also lightly spritzed them with tap water from a spray bottle.

And that's tonight's update. Hopefully we see progress on the slow growers and the runt in the morning.

And here is today's wake up picture. This should be the last one for a while as we get into the first of the boring, nothing to report stretches of the grow. When the first ones start getting their baby leaves or I start seeing activity with the runt or the two slow starters, I will do another update. Until then. Wake, spritz, leave under lame, sleep is the order of the day for probably the next few.

GJ-New-Feyleaf-2020-05.JPG

And just wondering, with these little plastic cups being only 2 inches tall, 2 inches in diameter at the mouth and tapering down to 1 inch at the base, how much room would these babies have to develop and how much time before they need transplanted into the larder styrofoam cups?

Very belated update.

This test was a complete failure. Instead of actually growing, all the seedlings just stretched out and chased the light. I am going to attribute this to their growing cups being too small after all, and now after germinating, my sproutlings will always go to a styro cup of dirt. I have some starters I am prepping for my little brother and sis in law, plus any friends of theirs who may need some; and they all began thriving nearly instantly after they went from the water to their styro cups.

I am hoping we will be able to see preflowers on the oldest one soon, so I can see if I have properly learned how to sex a plant without waiting for it to go from veg to flower.

Of course, if it is male, I will be keeping it myself as an indoor plant until I am ready for him to bust a nut on one of his sister plants to complete my first "new strain" :)

I have to say, I haven't enjoyed a hobby like this since my backyard astronomy and model rocketry days 4 decades ago. :)

I'm slightly distracted at work so I apologize if I'm missing details but I think the cause of stretch was a need for additional light not the cup size. They look like standard solo cups which I start mine out in a lot of times and have finished some in in the past (budscicle style). I think a more powerful light and closer to the plants would solve the issue. Could be off though.

Back
Top Bottom