Re-Using Potting Soil

MountainDEWD

Hey All!

Hope all is well! :volcano-smiley:

Just wanted to get some opinions on wether or not it is okay to re-use my potting soil or not... Im using Ocean Forest. Just about to harvest and don't have the money to pick up any more potting soil at the moment..

Thanks!

DEWD

This is worth a read: Can FF soil be reused from one grow to the next?

Sounds like you can, but you have to cleanse/reammend the soil after each grow, and I have no idea how to do that.

Good find Stealthboat!

I read through most of that thread and it seems like there are a lot of mixed feelings on the issue. MountainDEWD, maybe you can be the guinea pig to put it to the test?? Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Not for $16 for 1.5cu/ft. FFOF is not that expensive unless you have a big garden.

From my experience using store bought cheap stuff:

Yes you can reuse it.
You don't have to amend it.
You will need nutes definitely.
Clean out all old roots before reusing.
I attempted to reuse it a 3rd time, but ran into PH problems due to a faulty meter, and switched to coco then.

First grow, yielded me about 1/2 ounce from 2 plants in a CFL grow.
Second grow in the same soil, with better training, yielded me a little over 3 ounces from 2 plants also using CFLs.

Ocean Forest is a pretty hot (lots of nutes) soil, it has a lot of nutrients in it right out of the bag... so Im thinking that it should be fine as long as I clean all the roots out. I have plenty of nutrient solution to use and PH up and down so I think Im game for being the guinea pig.

Well if any time your plants suffer with a disease or a pest problem it not wise to reuse it !

It is better to reuse if after a suitable period of flushing of the soil prior to harvest tho... ya know salt build ups etc but would barely batter an eye lid if organic nutrients where used before !

How ever i have used my own soil several times over when i was a organic grower to which i have amended the soil or added a little extra to it per grow.

I may think a little more about it, if used salt based nutrients tho... ye i know the flush is suppose to clear out the worst of it but to be on the safe side it is better to PH check it before use :thumb:

Liquid test kits should be ok for this purpose.

Back
Top Bottom