Foxfarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil

I have used it from seedling all the way through to harvest without up potting to anything. I wanted to keep it simple so I just started in 5 gallon buckets. I've done this on two different grows.

I know this soil is a little hot and it's worked for me in the past, I'm thinking about using Fox Farm Happy Frog next time. I'm not sure but I think the ocean Forest cooked a couple of my seeds before they sprouted.

FFOF will eat your seeds if your not careful, or lucky. Been known to have some hot spots. I've used it, but I'd use happy frog if it's available. That's a good seed starter. Really don't want to take chances. Your first month or so in soil you're building roots..... happy frog is great for that. Then upcan one more time to FFOF in a seven and boom. JMHO

What do you think about the idea of putting Fox Farm ocean forest soil on the bottom 2/3 of a pot and Happy Frog on the top third? I would plant the germinated seed into the Happy Frog on top. And by the time it got its roots big enough it would be reaching the ocean Forest

What do you think about the idea of putting Fox Farm ocean forest soil on the bottom 2/3 of a pot and Happy Frog on the top third? I would plant the germinated seed into the Happy Frog on top. And by the time it got its roots big enough it would be reaching the ocean Forest

I've done some of that. Yeah, that's an option. Personally, I'd drop the bean in a solo with happy frog. First month there. Then go to the final can your using.

But, you have the cards to play. Good luck. Hate to fry beans and I've done it.... ;)

I only tried the Solo Cup one time and when I tried to transplant it all fell apart. I assume I didn't let the roots grow enough to hold it all together. I would have figured 30 days in a small cup like that would hurt the plant. So you think 30 days in a Solo Cup is acceptable?

Howdy people,

Sorry not trying to hijack the convo but here in Ontario without paying a ridiculously high price I can get Fox Farm Ocean Forest Premium Mix with Fossilized Bat Guano for a reasonable price. For the last 2 years, I have just used pro-mix(with the tomato on it) and have had good results.

Not sure if I should just be happy with pro or try the FF but with the Bat Guano, I am afraid it might be too hot. Did anyone try this for their seedlings?

THX

FFOF should be fine for new seeds. Yes, too hot for freshly rooted clones but any seed that's worth a darn should be fine in it. Problems most people have with new seedlings in FFOF usually have other things like overwatering issues that cause soil problems with seedlings.
If your scared to sprout in it anyways Just cut the FFOF with 25% earthworm castings that will explode the microbe population in your favor. Mix just enough for the solo cup to start them in, then when they are ready for transplant go into the straight FFOF. Better than buying 2 different soils IMO

FFOF should be fine for new seeds. Yes, too hot for freshly rooted clones but any seed that's worth a darn should be fine in it. Problems most people have with new seedlings in FFOF usually have other things like overwatering issues that cause soil problems with seedlings.
If your scared to sprout in it anyways Just cut the FFOF with 25% earthworm castings that will explode the microbe population in your favor. Mix just enough for the solo cup to start them in, then when they are ready for transplant go into the straight FFOF. Better than buying 2 different soils IMO
My first two grows I used ffof with quite a bit of success. But I can also remember quite a few seeds that didn't make it much passed germination or a few days as a Seedling. My next grow I am going to either mix ocean forest and Happy Frog in a 50/50 mix or put Happy Frog on the top third of the bucket.

Thanks for the great info! I think I will add the earthworm as the bonus prize! I have some wiggle room for experimenting this year but hate waisting anything lol :)

yes you can, i usually amend it with some other stuff, perlite fo sho, but if you want you can use it start to finish
Thanks, Hdlink will add some to the potion :)

Thanks, Hdlink will add some to the potion :)

the current soil grow i have is ff ocean forest, ff happy frog, black gold soil, perlite, ff all purpose fertilizer, and a veg mix amendment and a mineral mix amendment.
you dont need all of that but you prob 100% want to add perlite. watch out for bugs, the bags i have got both had not only fungus gnats, but other crap in there too, i killed off everything with a bunch of organic pesticides, if you are using airpots i wrap a bug screen arpund the pot( to prevent gnats flying in and out of the side holes)

This might be another silly question but if I left this new bag of soil outside tonight in the -20c( -4F) I wonder if that would take care of any nasty bugs that might be in the bag?

This might be another silly question but if I left this new bag of soil outside tonight in the -20c( -4F) I wonder if that would take care of any nasty bugs that might be in the bag?

i dont think so, i could be wrong though. have a feeling insects and bugs go jnto suspended animation inthe cold, heat will kill them, but too hot will produce toxins in the soil.

Gr8 info! I think your right about the hibernation also.

Back
Top Bottom